Sign in to follow this  
TheOldManoftheNorth

SA OREGON TRAIL STYLE IDEA!!!

And because its in a less-than-middle-socioeconomical-status area (as p.c. as I can make that statement, haha) The conditions of the buildings and such could have been that way just moments before day 0. Ha. 

Since there's no official DayZ story, we don't know if its days or months after the infection.

BTW- "I think this idea has been suggested several times and the general consensus is "no". What idea? 

BTW- "I think this idea has been suggested several times and the general consensus is "no". What idea? 

Classes.

And realistically it would have to be at least a week for shit to have gotten to the point where the only non infected in an entire country/province are the ones immune to the virus, and that's a 'worse case' scenario where someone was deliberately spreading the virus and nobody was really making any attempt to stop it.  Would have to think it's at least a month since the intial infection (and i mean like patient 0, not just when the infection hit chenarus)  The entire world isn't going to break down in the span of a couple of days.

Classes.

And realistically it would have to be at least a week for shit to have gotten to the point where the only non infected in an entire country/province are the ones immune to the virus, and that's a 'worse case' scenario where someone was deliberately spreading the virus and nobody was really making any attempt to stop it.  Would have to think it's at least a month since the intial infection (and i mean like patient 0, not just when the infection hit chenarus)  The entire world isn't going to break down in the span of a couple of days.

lolz. boy, you have a lot of faith in public health.  the work of jenny mccarthy alone almost put civilization back 70 years.

Hello there

I'm not in favour of a class system but there's no reason why we cant discuss and flesh one out, perhaps we can come up with some interesting ideas.

I'm aware class systems are more or less "out" with regards to the SA but it would be interesting if we could find a mechanic for "class" (or career/expertise etc) that worked to the majorities approval.

Rgds

LoK

lolz. boy, you have a lot of faith in public health.  the work of jenny mccarthy alone almost put civilization back 70 years.

No, I have almost zero faith in public health, (or private health for that mater).  I do have faith in Fear, fear gets governments (and people) to abandon things they hold sacred, or stand up and beat their chest like an idiot.  Say 'security is a joke at X' and nothing happens.  Plant something that looks like a pipe bomb at X and things happen.  If some super virus/airborne rabies did happen, people would flee, they would take ridiculous steps, do 'home remedies' and other nonsense to protect themselves.  A dad who's paying attention and see's whats going on will take his family up to his isolated hunting cabin in the woods to try and ride things out.  Another might board up the house, line the windows with plastic and fortify in place.  Governments would panic at first and try to contain things, shut down airports and harbors, blockade/blowup bridges, set up police/military check points.  I'm not saying everything a government does will help to stem the tide, after all China kept quite about the early Birdflu cases in the hopes they could lock things down and prevent a panic.

As I said, the entire world will not just break down in a day.  Then again we really don't know anything about the story of DayZ and Chenarus.  It could have fully well been a terrorist attack/lab experiment gone wrong and the zombie problem could be localized to Chenarus only, with NATO and other forces putting the country in as full a lock down as they can, with Idiots (survivors) like us breaking the quarantine to go play zombie killer.

I really, really like this idea, but I think players should have absolutely no control over the original attributes that they spawn with (with each character - death results in new base spawn attributes, and retains only a small percentage of your previous skills, respectively). When players succeed at certain tasks, they are awarded with a generally lower level of failure at that specific task. This would have all have to be very background in nature. No GUI or anything telling you "how good you are at replacing a car tire." Just the simple, unknown, calculated risk of failure. Your actions in your "previous lives" would aggregate into a kind of inherited, reincarnated, experience - which would make it easier and easier over multiple deaths to repair a vehicle, or perform a surgery, but you would pretty much never have a 100% chance. I think that would be quite interesting and compelling as a game experience.

• Like 1

I really, really like this idea, but I think players should have absolutely no control over the original attributes that they spawn with (with each character - death results in new base spawn attributes, and retains only a small percentage of your previous skills, respectively). When players succeed at certain tasks, they are awarded with a generally lower level of failure at that specific task. This would have all have to be very background in nature. No GUI or anything telling you "how good you are at replacing a car tire." Just the simple, unknown, calculated risk of failure. Your actions in your "previous lives" would aggregate into a kind of inherited, reincarnated, experience - which would make it easier and easier over multiple deaths to repair a vehicle, or perform a surgery, but you would pretty much never have a 100% chance. I think that would be quite interesting and compelling as a game experience.

Something like this I would be for.

I know this is not a real disease and that the DayZ crew can make it what they want, but since they're aiming for authenticity I think we can safely assume that it would in no way have infected and killed the entire world population in one or even a few days. It would have had one place of origin rather than several and from there it would take some time to spread to roughly 6 billion people. Realistically it would have taken a few months at least.

I am for a type of skill system, although I still feel the average lifespan is too short to make it viable (I guess we will see when it's released). However, I don't feel that what you did in a former life should count in any way towards your next character. I mean, there will have to be a cap in every skill and if you play long enough you will sooner or later have reached the cap in every skill available and I just don't feel that's how it should be.

I am for a type of skill system, although I still feel the average lifespan is too short to make it viable (I guess we will see when it's released). However, I don't feel that what you did in a former life should count in any way towards your next character. I mean, there will have to be a cap in every skill and if you play long enough you will sooner or later have reached the cap in every skill available and I just don't feel that's how it should be.

Like you say, for most, lifespans would be quite short making reaching a cap very difficult.

But giving people a system based on increasing ability the more you do something would give people an incentive to try harder next time to survive longer.

Definitely would be tricky to get the balance right though.

Edited by Fluxley

Like you say, for most, lifespans would be quite short making reaching a cap very difficult.

But giving people a system based on increasing ability the more you do something would give people an incentive to try harder next time to survive longer.

Definitely would be tricky to get the balance right though.

Well a skill system of some type could deter a lot of senseless killing in a way.  If skills aren't too much of a pain the ass to level up (I prefer a 'repair 5 tires, get a little faster and less chance of failing at a vehicle repair' type of thing)

'I just got my repair and crafting up to a high level.  Do I really want to try and gank this guy for his beans?  He might have a buddy nearby...'  Then again you'll always get the #YOLO COD players who would stab you with their hats, teabag your corpse, then bitch in side about these 'stupdi zombitches fucking up mah teabagging!'

• Like 2

Haha.  Ok- I get it. Preferred nomenclature is "skill system", not "class system".

No control over the original attributes... I could dig that idea.

Reincarnated aggregate... can't get behind that idea- that means the people who black out the windows, stop paying bills and order delivery every day are rewarded for their 'commitment'.  To add, people will get into a philosophical debate about how that "isn't the point of dayz" or "that it ruins the concept of dayz". Haha. Avoid this conversation like you (should) avoid the "founding fathers' interpretation of..." debate.  (those that live in the states)

As for the CODeezers- I get the feeling they'll have to become more clever to survive.  This means deception.  And even I get a little tickle in my fancy for such an idea.  The fact that you NEED interaction... but that doesn't dictate HOW you interact...

I'm very glad to see some constructive speak about this subject.  Regardless of whether or not the game will have a "Class" or "Skill" system- which I'm still not certain if I distinguish the two differently- that first week of hackfree-whatthehellbutton-howthehelldoi-whotheffffffffffffffffisthat-shitshitshit moments in the SA I'm gonna try to play differently (from a behavior psych. standpoint) each time.  And that, as I'm certain many can attest, will be some of the best moments in gameplay.  

btw, thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just feel like playing after repeated deaths still has to be rewarded somehow. I guess what I'm proposing is a system where you would gain a small amount of skill for certain tasks you accomplish, but dying would set back all total skills like, 10-20%. Not a huge loss, but enough to make it compelling when you repeat the process. Kind of a "2 steps forward, one step back" deal (though literally speaking, it would be 10 steps forward, one or two steps back). This way people have more than just the material to worry about, making their very lives more valuable. I agree with Fluxley. It would take configuration and balancing, but it's worth considering.

I also have many, many thoughts on the humanity system and related gameplay alterations, as well as cooperative play, and a bunch of other things... But I don't want to be a thread hijacker. Guess I'll have to prepare a large, interwoven post where I bring all my thoughts into some kind of collective thesis. Lol.

Edited by SalamanderAnder