RoyBloggins

DayZ is draining at first...but it's fun.

Spawn, run for 20 minutes, find nothing, get shot by bandits.

Been a playing for 5 days and all I want is a sniper rifle and a comfy spot in the hills.

**EDIT*

My OP is a little abrasive but I just wanted some help and I didn't mention at the time I was in PVP.

The key element was learning how the servers work. That helps a lot, now I feel I have more of a purpose instead of just spawning and dying.

Makes running through the wilderness mean something more.

:)

Edited by RoyBloggins

Can you explain how the Hive works and the other servers?

The servers I join are all different and have different rules and starting gear.

I don't know how to experience default DayZ.

Plus, what is server hopping? If I leave a server in a specific spot, I don't start there on a new server, I start somewhere else with different gear.

Confused. How can I practice looking for sniper rifle?!

What servers are default?

Thanks

Use DayZ commander and filter for Official DayZ servers (I think they have something like clouds next to them). You can practice with a sniper rifle by using ArmA 2 mission editor on default ArmA 2. Server hopping is going from one server to the next to look for players and is frowned upon, especially if you're squatting.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That sounded ruder than I though it would but you get my point. I'd put money on it that you're running straight to Cherno or Electro and then getting shot. It's a big map, have a look around it, you can play without ever visiting those cities although it can be a way of gearing up quickly you need luck and skill to do so.. If somethings not working for you, switch up your tactics, try something new and break your routine.

Ragarding the hive: The public/official hive is basically a database where your character is stored when playing on public/official servers. Any server linked to that hive will store you details and when you log back in to a server connected to that hive, regardless of the server your characters details will have been saved.

Now if you swap over to a private hive/server you will have a separate character but don;t worry, your other character on the main hive will be safe and sound for when you return.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

All you want is a sniper's rifle and a camping spot? Go play COD. >.>

• Like 6

blah blah blah

Edited by RoyBloggins

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That sounded ruder than I though it would but you get my point. I'd put money on it that you're running straight to Cherno or Electro and then getting shot. It's a big map, have a look around it, you can play without ever visiting those cities although it can be a way of gearing up quickly you need luck and skill to do so.. If somethings not working for you, switch up your tactics, try something new and break your routine.

Ragarding the hive: The public/official hive is basically a database where your character is stored when playing on public/official servers. Any server linked to that hive will store you details and when you log back in to a server connected to that hive, regardless of the server your characters details will have been saved.

Now if you swap over to a private hive/server you will have a separate character but don;t worry, your other character on the main hive will be safe and sound for when you return.

Thanks. That's how I figured it worked. And I do use Commander.

Although, I meant how can I practice FINDING a sniper. That's why I run to Electro and Cherno, because that's where I have been told the heli sites and loot spots are for sniper rifles.

You're missing out on so much thinking so straight, explore, look around, you will find what you want when u explore a little.

Not to mention the other game types you can do.

Michaelvoodoo, apocalypse taxi driver sighning out.

Sniper Rifles are very rare generally, and only spawn in heli crashes and I believe in loot spawners far up the coast.

Been a playing for 5 days and all I want is a sniper rifle and a comfy spot in the hills.

If that's all you want: over there's CoD, CS and the likes ->>>

You're missing out on so much thinking so straight, explore, look around, you will find what you want when u explore a little.

Not to mention the other game types you can do.

Michaelvoodoo, apocalypse taxi driver sighning out.

I am fully aware of the concept of DayZ. That is what intrigues me about this game.

Open world. Free roam. BIG MAP(s). Lonely feeling (reminiscent of The Happening or I AM whatever with Will Smith)

Mixed in with a little 1980s Red Dawn (not the remake)

Exploring worlds is fun. I played a game on my 486 in 1992 where you just walked around from a 1st person perspective and looked around in a 3D world.

I like the idea this a scavenger/survival game.

However, I tend to see others running or hunting me and usually I'm lucky to have an axe.

Few times I have had an AK on top of a building but those are on PVP servers where everybody starts with AK (not the same thing).

Just want to try the sniping part, that's all.

Was hoping my whining could spark some leads because YouTube seems to be full of outdated videos or DMR montages.

Thanks for replies.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's how I figured it worked. And I do use Commander.

Although, I meant how can I practice FINDING a sniper. That's why I run to Electro and Cherno, because that's where I have been told the heli sites and loot spots are for sniper rifles.

My best advice to you would be to forget those two cities for now (they're PVP hotspots), maybe have a look at Berizino and the surrounding area. It's a big city on the east coast, it has a hospital, 2 supermarkets, a military camp and the surrounding countryside is great for crashed helis, most importantly it's quieter on the bandit front.

Failing that just explore. That's the fun of DayZ. If you break your routine and just go exploring you'll find all sorts of cool stuff without even trying and without so much risk of being shot.

Edit - Don't focus on finding one specific thing so much (a sniper rifle) and before you know it one will fall into your lap, that's the sods law part of DayZ, the one thing you want never appears.

Edited by Fraggle

If that's all you want: over there's CoD, CS and the likes ->>>

No. I meant, I have yet to acquire a sniper/ghillie suit and I am eager to try.

I like that it's tougher to do stuff like that.

My best advice to you would be to forget those two cities for now (they're PVP hotspots), maybe have a look at Berizino and the surrounding area. It's a big city on the east coast, it has a hospital, 2 supermarkets, a military camp and the surrounding countryside is great for crashed helis, most importantly it's quieter on the bandit front.

Failing that just explore. That's the fun of DayZ. If you break your routine and just go exploring you'll find all sorts of cool stuff without even trying and without so much risk of being shot.

I found a crashed heli site last night on the roof of a building in....Electro? Somewhere over there and there were bodies everywhere and I got scared that it was a mass PVP grave and I was next but nobody showed up.

Figured I had a small window of time before I was either seen or whoever died made their way back so I went up ladder to top of building and looted what I thought was going to be a Ghillie suit, but it was a civilian suit.

Nothing in helicopter so I figured the bodies that were scattered had more loot.

Shot dead! Was fun though and I knew it was coming.

I suppose the "draining" I'm talking about is actually part of the fun. Because there'll be a run I'll go on that'll be extra exciting.

Gonna try your suggestion, thanks.

I might try it on an Official server too.

• Like 1

elecktro and cherno don't have snipers...you might get lucky and find a Cz550 in the barns just outside the city, but there are none in the city.

• Like 1

I found a crashed heli site last night on the roof of a building in....Electro? Somewhere over there and there were bodies everywhere and I got scared that it was a mass PVP grave and I was next but nobody showed up.

Figured I had a small window of time before I was either seen or whoever died made their way back so I went up ladder to top of building and looted what I thought was going to be a Ghillie suit, but it was a civilian suit.

Nothing in helicopter so I figured the bodies that were scattered had more loot.

Shot dead! Was fun though and I knew it was coming.

I suppose the "draining" I'm talking about is actually part of the fun. Because there'll be a run I'll go on that'll be extra exciting.

Gonna try your suggestion, thanks.

I might try it on an Official server too.

Yeh, it can be draining but it's because it hard and takes effort that when you find what you want or achieve something simple it becomes extra special, I guess that's the main draw of the game regardless of your motives or playstyle. Good luck and ask again if you get stuck.

Edited by Fraggle

I am fully aware of the concept of DayZ. That is what intrigues me about this game.

Open world. Free roam. BIG MAP(s). Lonely feeling (reminiscent of The Happening or I AM whatever with Will Smith)

Mixed in with a little 1980s Red Dawn (not the remake)

Exploring worlds is fun. I played a game on my 486 in 1992 where you just walked around from a 1st person perspective and looked around in a 3D world.

I like the idea this a scavenger/survival game.

However, I tend to see others running or hunting me and usually I'm lucky to have an axe.

Few times I have had an AK on top of a building but those are on PVP servers where everybody starts with AK (not the same thing).

Just want to try the sniping part, that's all.

Was hoping my whining could spark some leads because YouTube seems to be full of outdated videos or DMR montages.

Thanks for replies.

It doesn't have to be lonely. Maybe you're anti-social and you like it, but if not there are plenty of groups to join and play with, bandits and hero alike.

elecktro and cherno don't have snipers...you might get lucky and find a Cz550 in the barns just outside the city, but there are none in the city.

See I have been desperate to sneak my way into the hangars.

Now I can scratch that off my list. Thanks.

• Like 1

Stary has good military spawns, at one point I had two DMRs and some other sniper rifle.

To be "good" at DayZ its not about direct skill but rather building good survival habits.

The skilled players are cautious, know how to drop zombie aggro, know where other players traffic and pay attention to their surroundings, they can loot quickly and know where to go.

The other half is knowledge of spawns, know where spawns are many and close together and hows to get between them without getting shot.

Cherno apartments are good, cherno has three medical spawns as well. Electro I almost never visit, its dangerous and Cherno IMO is safer once you are in the city but is more difficult to approach than Elektro

• Like 2

Fuck you are stupid

So you want to be the drainer?

Ok I haven't seen anybody post any really solid advice so let me lay out how I would get a sniper rifle if I were so inclined. I'm saying "if I were inclined" because I don't really find sitting on a hill waiting for somebody to come by really fun. If you manage to get a sniper rifle it's unlikely that anybody you snipe is going to really have an upgrade for you so you're pretty much just killing them to ruin their day.... but whatever it's your story, not mine.

There's a few ways to get a sniper rifle:

heli crashes

military spawns

pry it from another player's dead hands (obviously the most manly but also the least likely to happen)

stumble upon a poorly hidden camp

First off avoid cherno and elektro.... not only is there not very much in the way of military loot or heli crashes but also nobody running in the street is going to have a sniper rifle. The snipers will be sitting in the hills around the city or on the roof of a building waiting to snipe people running around looking for guns like yourself (or atleast that's what I would do if I were so inclined to snipe)

Instead you want to head north to Stary Sobor and make sure to hit an deer stands you see along the way. You may have heard it's a pvp hotspot and that's partially true but it's honestly less of a crap shoot than cherno or elektro. First, before you enter the city look info it from the tree line with your binocs. Do you see zombies spawned there? If so somebody is in there. If that's the case keep looking around until you spot them. Try to see if it's just one person or a squad and what kind of gear they have before you decide if you want to pick a fight or not.

If you don't see zombies spawned in the city scan the hills north of the city for snipers if you manage to see one try to sneak up on him and kill him if you don't see one go and loot the town. Try to enter the city through either the north or east (near the military spawn) coming through the SW will likely spawn a lot of zombies and tip people off to you being there. Remember you want to be in and out asap, Stary isn't really a place to sit and chill for long period of time unless you are specifially trying to get some pvp action and even then I would wait on the north hill instead of the town proper. Also it's worth noting that the fields around stary frequently have chopper crashes so you might luck out and get your sniper rifle there. But as with any situation look before you leap and don't rush in before you scope things out.

If you still don't have a sniper rifle by now you should atleast have a decent weapon so it's time to head to the north west air strip. First head to the barracks in the SW corner of the airstrip, this is where you will get some of the best loot of the game (the only better place being a heli crash) Once you loot those barracks look (from the tree line obviously) to the other side of the runway where the hangers are. If you see zombies there might be other players around so make sure you check the control tower and fire station for snipers but if you don't see any proceed around the south end of the runway to the military spawns on the other side. Avoid running on the runway itself... that's just asking for trouble. Usually trying to loot the hangers and control tower will draw a lof ot zombie agro so if you decide to do that be quick about it. Make sure you hit the barracks on the NE part of the airstrip as that is another place highly likely to yield a sniper rifle.

If you still don't have a loadout you are happy with at this point you should just leave and comeback later. You could make the long trip over to the NE airstrip but honestly the NWAS is the best place to get high end gear so you should just spend a lot of time where if you really want a sniper rifle.

The last method is to find somebody's camp. The way to do this run around the edge of the map and look for places YOU would try to hide a tent or a car or w/e and go scope them out. But honestly this is super boring so it's not really worth it.

Edited by Original_Jack
  • Like 1

so you want to get a sniper rifle so you can do to others what has been done to you?

Right.

Edited by PaxC4T

live by the sword die by the sword.. If your goal is to snipe players from afar it is justice that you are being shot and killed in the attainment of that goal.

• Like 2