Sign in to follow this  
Dools17

Little late to the party but... Just installed Day Z, Now what?

Okay, so i first heard about day z about 3 months ago. And it sounded awesome! But i didnt have any money, recently i got some cash so today i decided to buy it. I downloaded the arma 2 and operation arrowhead. Then i downloaded the mod on Steam. And then I tried to play.... But the interface is very confusing and Im not sure how to play it. There are so many confusing things like missions and bandits or something, Im not quite sure im really overwhelmed. Can anyone explain to me step by step what to do? Like how to get to single player or a server that doesnt have all these complicated things? Thanks!

• Like 1

There isn't any single player.

I assume you are getting overwhelmed with all the choices in getting on a server?

My advice would be to get DayZ Commander (http://www.dayzcommander.com/). This makes choosing a server and updating very easy.

Never too late to join the party. ;)

I recommend you follow what DemonGroover suggested. Also watch some YouTube videos, it helped me in the beginning.

Like DemonGroover said, use DayZCommander, its very easy to use.

But I must disagree with novogeek, watching Youtube vids will ruin the experience IMO. You need to learn for yourself.

• Like 1

Been playing for 5 days now, myself, and I can't find any sniper rifles or ghillie suits to use with the snipers.

Finally found a vehicle. A heli, but it wouldn't budge. I pressed Q or W and it made a loud noise then move a few feet to the right then the server restarted. lol

All I want to do is get sniper and hide in bushes.

Been playing for 5 days now, myself, and I can't find any sniper rifles or ghillie suits to use with the snipers.

Finally found a vehicle. A heli, but it wouldn't budge. I pressed Q or W and it made a loud noise then move a few feet to the right then the server restarted. lol

Do you normally hijack threads?

Do you normally hijack threads?

ALRIGHT EVERYONE ON THE GROUND! I'm comandeering this thread! Stay down!

Nobody move!

I was playing for about 5 days before I found a decent weapon, then died trying to get into Cherno. Then a hacker spawned me a pickup and left. It was strange.

• Like 3

watching Youtube vids will ruin the experience IMO. You need to learn for yourself.

This is good advice get out there into chernarus and learn for yourself it's the only way to A] learn to play and B] to find your playstyle what you are good at.

In DayZ, the party never ends...

But yeah, watching YouTube DayZ vids (Especially a certain YouTuber...) will give you the wrong impression or higher expectations than what is realistic for a new player. On the other hand, watching streamers is much better. Raw, live, and unedited. Watch guys like Sacriel, Oshi7, and their sqaud. You'll pick up a lot from them.

• Like 1

you and 90% of the dayz community

I recommend you watch DayZ streams and if you need help on how to do some basic but important things like cooking and managing your inventory, I suggest checking out the channel of DayZ Guidez. His videos were mighty helpful to me when I was new. Oh yeah, and like stated a couple of posts above, don't watch the videos of this certain DayZ Youtuber (the most popular one who also plays Battlefield and Planetside 2 and plays DayZ clean and legit as frak). If you do watch them the mod will disappoint you.

• Like 1

Learn the basic ArmA stuff in bootcamp, scenarios and editor. At least I ran trough the first bootcamp missions before even installing DayZ. Learning that on your own is stupid, but learning DayZ stuff on your own is fun and challenging. I knew about ArmA before DayZ, but never even thought of buying it because I thought it was only for those who have mics, good internet and are in some kind of group. That made the experience more fun, since I had no idea what Chernarus was about.

Edited by Sutinen

The game is what you make it my friend. There's no missions. No structure. No set path. You spawn empty handed in the zombie infested wilderness and try to survive.

You need to find a weapon to protect yourself. Tools with which to feed yourself or fix vehicles. You can scavenge food and drink from towns or hunt and cook animals and drink from ponds. You can find hunter weapons in farm buildings and barns. You can get military gear from numerous military outposts.

You can hunt fellow survivors and steal their stuff. This makes you a bandit. You can hunt bandits and make chernarus safer for you and your friends.

Obviously the possibilities are infinite. I'm somewhat jealous of you being in this position. The sense of discovery is strong and intensely rewarding when you get it right :)

• Like 1

Right now, DayZ is a bit of a nightmare for beginners and experienced players alike. The most recent mod update made it far too easy to get sick and die after taking a hit from a zombie.

My personal recommendation. Download Commander (if you haven't already) and try out one of the other mod variations. Look for one that has a decent number of servers before you begin downloading it.

Also, since its your first time, take a brief look at a loot map for whatever map you're going to play on and take note of where there is any high value military stuff (large red dots).

This will give you some sort of objective once you've been in a server long enough to find a map and compass etc...

Also, watching youtube videos won't hurt so long as you recognize that they cut down hours and hours of gameplay in to a 10 minute video.

I pretty much based my playing style on one the youtubers and I couldn't be happier. I may occasionally get killed trying to hold someone up... but I'm normally successful

Hi Dools. You've got 2 games, sort of. Sounds like you're playing Arma 2, which is great fun once you know what you're doing. Personally, I'd suggest trying the first scenario-I think someone above said it's called Bootcamp. It shows you how to fire the gun, how to aim, how to drag bodies, how to drive, how to do lots of stuff, and there's another to show you how to fly helicopters and so on - there are lots but the first is best. It also shows you all the skills you need for the DayZ mod which is based on the same game. However, to play the mod called DayZ, you need to have downloaded it and installed something to run it via - many use DayZ Commander, it's free and easy to use. Start there and ask questions once you've done that. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula