Sign in to follow this  
KernelKlink

The Physics and Bug Fixes for Standalone Release

I have played DayZ Arma2 for about a month now and I have mixed feelings about the game, tried various servers with unique setups and scripts, bagged my share of kills, had some fun combat expierence, sniped lots of bambis and played long enough for a review of this game

The whole concept of DayZ is amazing but there are endless problems/bugs with setup and gameplay and I wont list them all, just the most crucial physics bugs that need fixes for final release.(Viewed latest standalone demo videos)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Character Control/Movement

The limitations of character movement in DayZ are uncreative and bugged.

No Ability to Climb or Jump:

Not talking about a mountain here ;) , only being able to climb over 3 foot rock or ontop of a crate or a vehicle or a roof of low building (expands on tactical advantages and escaping from zombies)

Cant expect move parkour style through city but the complete lack of being able to jump over and climb small simple barriers is pathetic right?

Jumping out of windows & Fall landing phsyics:

There should be funtion to escape out of windows (same function should let zombies crawl into windows), if you are on ground level, trapped and need fast escape route why not smash window and jump out. Also the fall phsyics are bugged, once a 4 foot drop killed my character put him in coma haha, when drop any small distance it freezes your character controls for about 5-8 seconds (very buggy)

Fast Stealthy Melee Attacks

The biggest problem in DayZ is melee combat, there is no hotkey function to grab a crowbar or axe when you need it quick (have drop gun and cycle through broken inventory) there needs to be a quick equip funtion for melee weapons that wont interfere with primary weapon or pistol.

Buildings/Walls/Doors/Stairs

The physics of buildings in DayZ are just bugged and sometimes broken.

Ghost Walls or Noclip Walls : Many buildings/walls/fences/rocks in game do nothing stop zombies from phasing through solid barrier and sometimes I have watched players exploit these same broken physics (for game that promotes realism this is serious problem)

Broken Door Frames: constantly getting stuck in doorways even when moving directly in center away from edges

Closing Doors - Locking Doors: Doors made out of wood should be destructable, serve as barriers for protection or to buy some time for an escape from zombies, If you can knock over trees, signs, gates, small walls with vehicles why not be able destroy door with axe or machine gun?

Stairways: moving on stairs causes complete crawl in movement speed and turning, also same problem as doors end up stuck on corners

Vehicles (Excluding boats and aircraft)

The handling of cars/jeeps/trucks in game are not responsive in control both on main paved roads and offroad terrain, amazingly you can move much faster with a bicycle uphill, across an open field than using a 4Wheel Drive Military Jeep which does not add up.

It seems all Vehicles on wheels share same physics control on terrain, there needs to be seperate classes of control physics when choosing types of Urban vehicles and Offroad vehicles.

The Spawn Points and Item Spawn Points

Starting out in this game always get stuck spawning up and down Eastern border coast and this just results in mass Spawn-Killing, since new players always spawn out in same spots (or next to Cherno or Elektro) veteran players abuse this on every server basicly as camping spots for a turkey shoot, new player spawnpoints should spread out more across Chernarus map not just along Coast.

The Item/Weapon Spawn points have exact same problem as stated above, veteran players permanently camp only weapon spawn points that are Military or Advanced Gear, so new player can never get hands on better items and are are always slaughtered unless server setup gives you a rifle to start with. There needs to be more random % of chance in locations of weapons/gear so new players can gain items and vet players will not be able to completely abuse spawn point drops.

I wont list anything for zombies since devs already mentioned they are overhauling zombie scripts and animations.

Okay these are the biggest problems with DayZ game from my expierence playing, clash of good and bad elements making this game unique but very rough around edges (especialy with character control)

The core game physics in DayZ need serious overhaul before the final release because the current problems/bugs kinda ruin your overall expierence.

Good Luck on final version :)

Just some comments I'd like to make.

- You can use V to jump/vault over objects about up to your mid-thigh. The same feature will be in the Standalone.

- The reason why the melee combat is absolute ass is because ARMA 2 doesn't have a melee system at all. Your axe is actually a remodeled gun with a swing animation slapped onto it when you fire. Noticed the puff of smoke yet?

- Moving through buildings(stairs/doors) is kind of a problem because of the player's skeleton. It's been fixed for the Standalone already, you'd know this if you had watched through the dev-blogs.

- DayZ is NOT trying to promote realism. Rocket himself has said this. The word you're looking for is authenticity.

- Again, the doors being opened by zombies is an engine limitation in ARMA 2. Not sure if there's been progress on that in the Standalone as of yet, but it'll be addressed, I can promise you that.

- You can actually spawn anywhere on the beach-area, from the South-West corner of the map, up to the East-side, near Berezino. It's all just chance. (And why would you keep going to a KNOWN hot-spot even if you spawned near it? You're just asking to get shot.)

- The loot-rates and spawning has also been addressed in the Standalone to some degree. Entire towns can get looted clean by players as the loot doesn't spawn once every 10 minutes when there's no player within 200 meters.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 2

For the problems with loot spawns you'll hate SA then after a restart ALL the loot is spawned for that part of the game meaning the Rifles will quite quickly get picked clean from their spawn locations and Higher powered rifles will actually be a Commodity because they'll be harder to find (Only on Crash sites that happen DURING the time between the restart)

You say all this as if the developers don't already know about it and that they won't be fixing it. SA will be insanely different from the DayZ mod. The problem with the mod is it's limited to the ARMA 2 engine, and you can only expand so much. In SA, the devs have free range, and everything will be improved.

Edited by Gking19