Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy McNulty

Dayz Origins - DayZ of the future?

This is not a rant thread. I've been playing dayz mod since 1.4 I think, spent more than 1k hours playing it. I don't want to criticize or something, but it seems to me that the original dayZ mod is not as expected as it used to be. We all have seen DAYZ at E3. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

It's just that excitement is fading away. We've been waiting for the standalone for a long time and sadly, a lot of people, well at least a lot of people I know, have stopped being excited about it and now they're just meh, dayZ was fun, but I've got another games to play now.. Even If standalone gets released, I dont think it's gonna be a big improvement compared to dayZ, at least not for a long time until they gonna add more stuff. Might take months, years.. Rocket has lost my support. I'm not looking forward to releasing standalone as much as months ago, most of the people I know don't. On the other hard, dayZ origins rocks, it's much better than dayZ in my opinion, and it's gonna be better than dayZ standalone imo as well. Well, just my opinion guys!

I think posting this on a vanilla dayz forum wont go down to well.

Personally i don't mind origins but its not DayZ, hence why i only call it origins, the humanity system is just silly, the base building is nice but it is causes alot of problems and breaks the game to a few levels, and also the way the developers conduct themselves is just absurd, i prefer dayz due to morals and the fact that the game docent support players who like an easy experience, DayZ is hard, origins is easy.

EDIT: Id just like to add for anyone who isn't aware, the reason i say "i prefer dayz vanilla due to morals" is because of the following.

DayZ Origins creator "Kinghunt" makes money from Origins, he takes code that has been posted within mod forums and brands it as his own, if you then use that code you are at threat of been scrutinized by GamersPlatoon, so not only is he taking others code and saying its there own and not allowing others to use it, but he has monopolized the Origins servers, every time you buy a server it docent go to just there server host, it goes to Kinghunt, one may see this as clever money making ploy but its far more than just that.

He is using a mod to make money, hes using someone els game to make money, hes using other peoples code to make money, all they have to do is smash it all together and cash in, and with all the cash they have pay a few artists to make models for them. Hes not just making money from these servers but hes also shooting origins in the foot, because of him doing this it is very hard for origins to move forward as there stuck on old and not very powerful server causing a tonne of lag.

If he cared for origins and cared for the modding community he would not be making money from this mod and he would be far more concerned about crediting the original coders of the scripts they use and making the server that origins run on stronger.

Edited by TMW Se7eN
  • Like 3

I agree with TMW Se7en^.

I can't do outrage at OP. Maybe because it's Friday, maybe because there's some truth to what he says.

Origins offers something new but not necessarily better. I thought it was a much richer mod at first too but the novelty wore off.

To me, Origins is now lacking in what's now been added to vanilla DayZ by R4z0r and team...the new items, upped difficulty, infections, etc.

It's just too easy, especially once you have your houses built and an arsenal of items/vehicles/weapons.

I still have faith that once the SA is out, the team will throw themselves at regular patches and updates, keeping things new and interesting.

Origins does have some nice touches that spice things up, in many peoples opinions though it strays too far from DayZ and the reasons they liked it to start with. That's not a bad thing in itself because modding is all about trying different ideas out but it's become something different now, again a good thing for them but not what a lot of DayZ players are looking for.

Over time Origins will be left for dust by the SA though, that's my opinion and there's hundreds of reasons I've spoken about before as to why I think that. Eventually none of the mods will be able to compete although as I say that will take a bit of time, the SA will be a grower and as you see more and more content and ideas added over the next year Origins will be a pleasant (or not ) memory.

The SA is DayZ of the future, due to many engine and coding restrictions the mods will always be stuck in the past.

Edited by Fraggle

I see Origins as something the developers should look at to add other content. Base building is something that has been on the table prior to Origins releasing their take on base building. Being able to modify vehicles and strip vehicle parts is also something they are looking to add. The only thing Origins has that DayZ Standalone probably will never have is NPCs.

Fraggle also points out the reason Origins will always be a step behind, it will always be limited by the Arma 2 engine.

Fraggle also points out the reason Origins will always be a step behind, it will always be limited by the Arma 2 engine.

Yup, even if ported into the RV4 engine Arma3 uses it'll still be a buggy mess, probably worse so than now, that's the number one issue all mods face and the reason Rocket moved on so quickly from the mod to the SA.

In fact with every new addition to Origins (and DayZ Mod) the bug situation gets more complex because they're trying to bend another game (Arma 2) to their will. The SA will be able to tackle bugs head on and fix them, it's strength lies in the fact that they have access to the engine itself, when they're happy they have a solid base to build on the new content will come thick and fast.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

to a degree i agree with OP. And disagree aswell.

I did play origins for about a month, got a lvl 2 house and stuff. had about 15 NVG's +++ mega packs and thousands of PKM rounds. split on two people.

Server got new owners and BAM, all gone. couldnt say i cared much about it. It was easy to get all of it, we just flew a biplane into the 3 urals. loaded up all we needed then left.

That is the sad story of origins.

The good story is, looking like a badass with my aviators behind the wheels of my armored Ford pickup ;)

our armored truck that we could always count on... i miss that <3

Ground and air vehicles is a big part of DayZ and i think if they release the SA without this content it will be boring. Not to mention playing on the chernarus map is boring in itself. Ive played chernarus so much its like playing in my youth neighborhood.

• Like 2

Well the latest info suggests (not confirmed) that they will initially release the SA with the basic vehicles we know and love (hate) now. Then when they move onto giving them the full overhaul for customisation etc they will be removed and replaced with the new system/vehicles.

Regarding the map, I kind of agree although so much work is going into the new Chernarus map that I reckon there'll be enough new stuff there to keep most of us entertained for a while, large areas of it will be completely different with many new structures etc. It's only a matter of time before we see new maps for the SA. Rocket has talked about giving the well known guys that have made some of the popular maps (Taviana, Namalsk ect) the resources and training they need to make professional quality maps that can be added to the SA further down the line.

Edited by Fraggle

TMW Se7en...I was really happy with Origins when I started playing it a few weeks ago but when I found out about and read up on it, I stopped playing it and won't be doing so in the future. The whole thing feels slimy the way they go about it.

Have been playing normal DayZ on the BB UK46 server and its been fun passing the time until the SA gets released.

• Like 1

OP, in some respects I agree with you. Its very difficult to wait, and for the time being Origins might be the next best thing for you. On the bright side of things, at least we know that SA is not going to be a Half Life 3. We know that the development is happening. There are dev blogs, videos, screenshots, and conferences to prove that. It is simply a matter of time until the game gets released, and no one but the devs for SA can decide when that will be.

Like everybody else has said before, though, the SA will always be able to one up Origins because Origins is limited to an old engine that wasn't built for a Zombie Survival game. Even the mods that will come out on the modified engine for SA will be much better than Origins because modders won't need to twist the engine around so much.

So if you find that you're not as excited about SA coming out, that's great. It just means that you will be spending less time waiting for the next dev blog and more time investigating new and exciting mods/games that are coming out right now. When SA comes out, you can let the excitement get the best of you and spend the 16+ straight hours on it that you have been waiting for.

For me Origins is fine and dandy if that is what you want, but it isnt DayZ. Not even close.

Too many ridiculous additions for my liking.

Many additions in Origins do go hand in hand with what many people want for an endgame though. Basebuilding, additional content (Sector B and AI with guns that hunt people), many vehicles, ability to choose where you spawn. This is what the typical group wants to do. Get a base going, hoard shit, drive around, in addition to the sandbox, make your own fun type of content, raid towns, kill people/bandits, etc that is at the core of the game.

Base building and the concept of AI military survivors that hunt you is something that the SA might pick up on.

Bathtub cars named "Batmobile", maybe not. :D

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with Origins. I love it, more than the normal DayZ mod. So much more to do, the map is huge and provides plenty of challenges, I much prefer the skin/humanity system, the base building is nice but I have always been more of a nomad anyway on DayZ.

But then there is the reasons stated about Origins which puts people off, the money making and such. I don't agree with it, but I came back to original DayZ after a month of not playing, and got bored after a week. I had played Origins previously and as soon as I went back to that I haven't stopped.

It's a difficult one for me. I disagree with the way things are done with Origins but the experience of it is double what normal DayZ gives me.