Sign in to follow this  
Toastedzen

Balancing out the Infection

This idea came to me while watching World War Z the other day. What would happen if when your avatar has the infection it is immune from zombies; you can literally walk through a town and they ignore you. Of course, you still have the very limited time left, you are still losing blood rapidly, but a player would at least have a chance to beeline for the hospital. Or, should they already have antibiotics a risky player might try to make a run into a fire station or barracks before running out of town to heal. The actions of the character for someone watching over the town would be telling as well. I thought it might provide some new angles of game play, give people another last ditch chance of surviving rather than just running to the beach to die, and provide another angle to the infection system which might help balance it out.

Thoughts?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or similar. I have not been on the forums for a long, long time. Been playing some Breaking Point though and Last of Us.

Cheers all.

No.

You can't be immune to a disease and be affected by it. A carrier of a disease (someone with immunity, but has the disease in their blood/system) would not benefit from such an effect.

• Like 1

I would personally like to smear some of the zombies innards on me, that way we could just sneak through town

I would personally like to smear some of the zombies innards on me, that way we could just sneak through town

i suggested that a while back and got called a saddist, but i fully support zombie guts worn walking dead style

• Like 1

I fully support zombie guts worn walking dead style

Sadist.

Really though I like the idea of there being a somewhat self detrimental way of making zombies not agro you. Being infected doesn't really work because the infection you get in game isn't the Z infection. Smearing blood and guts on you is closer but I think that might be a bit gruesome for everyone's tastes, whether you like it or not it has to appeal to the broader DayZ community or it won't be implemented. But possibly an Item you could carry, something akin to gore that would mask your smell, assuming smell is a factor with these zombies, coupled with having to walk slowly to slip by.

No.

You can't be immune to a disease and be affected by it. A carrier of a disease (someone with immunity, but has the disease in their blood/system) would not benefit from such an effect.

I said nothing about immunity or being a carrier. I said that zombies wouldn't be so prone to attack while your character is bleeding out from the zombie infection.

I said nothing about immunity or being a carrier. I said that zombies wouldn't be so prone to attack while your character is bleeding out from the zombie infection.

The idea is still stupid.

I really thought that was a stupid storyline in the World War Z movie. How would a zombie running at full speed "know" that someone has a deadly disease? Crock of shit!

I do like the idea of possibly being able to mask yourself to Zeds somehow. Perhaps by walking slowly, even if in full view, a zombie 100m away wouldn't be able to tell if you were a person or another zombie.

I really thought that was a stupid storyline in the World War Z movie. How would a zombie running at full speed "know" that someone has a deadly disease? Crock of shit!

I do like the idea of possibly being able to mask yourself to Zeds somehow. Perhaps by walking slowly, even if in full view, a zombie 100m away wouldn't be able to tell if you were a person or another zombie.

It could fool players too. I doubt the elektro and cherno snipers waste bullets on zombies. A trick I do sometimes is I take off my backpack and crawl around when a sniper is around. Since some of the zombies crawl the sniper rarely notices me. Because its at long range its hard to tell the difference if there are no name tags so most snipers check for a backpack.

Not stupid, I would like but maybe if you were within 5 metres of a zombie it would detect you and attack.

(by posting less words it is harder for applejaxc to get to you)

Infection isn't the same as the zombie virus/whateverthefuck. I don't see it as being related, it's a normal infected wound from being bitten and scratched by a filthy undead. If there's a disguise or Zed Repel it needs to take another form and be difficult to get. Your suggestion would have people seeking out viral zombies, letting them infect, and running to things like heli crashes, etc. with impunity.

We need to make people realize that AN infection and THE infection are two different things in DayZ.

• Like 1

In my books stupid is naming yourself after a character in a cartoon aimed at 6 year old girls.

If there's a disguise or Zed Repel it needs to take another form and be difficult to get.

Perhaps gutting a viral zed, the 'gore' repellent lasts for 10 minutes, The zombies can detect you if you are right next to them, or you are running. Walking, crouching and proning, though would think of you as being their kin due to the stench of death. This of course means you would need a knife and would still have to be somewhat tactical about how you kill the Viral zed in the first place, and how you go about shuffling through the zombie population.

Rereading this I am still confused. You are saying we are immune to this....but by being effected by it zombies ignore us but we are losing blood.

Why am I losing blood?

Am I immune or infected?

I think you have your infections confused. The infection you character gets is just a really bad cold. The zombie infection has no cure.

Edited by harley001

Realistically

There's that word again. Realism. In a world where zombies exist. Where weapons, food, drink, medicine, ammunition, vehicles and junk loot literally shits out into the world on regular intervals. Where a person dies, and is teleported through the means of magic to the coastline. Where you can fall through floors, break your legs on opening doors, bleed and go unconscious from dropping 3 feet off of a high kerb. Realism is not a word suited for this game. Authenticity is, but realism most certainly is not.

• Like 2

Bacon

You must have been camping this thread if you reacted to what I said that quickly because I edited it as soon as I posted it and got rid of that part.

I actually agree with what you said. That is why i edited it out.

Edited by harley001

You must have been camping this thread if you reacted to what I said that quickly because I edited it as soon as I posted it and got rid of that part.

I am yes, I'm currently camping a few threads I have an interest in.

In my books stupid is naming yourself after a character in a cartoon aimed at 6 year old girls.

For the last, goddamned time, I came up with the pseudonym "Applejaxc" a very long time before MLP became popular. It has nothing to do with the cartoon, or the cereal. It's an independent invention. If I were to name myself after Apple jaCK, why would my avatar be Rainbowdash? Hmm?

And MLP isn't targeted at 6 year old girls. It's like "Where is Roger Rabbit"; a great movie for adults disguised as a movie for kids.

For the last, goddamned time, I came up with the pseudonym "Applejaxc" a very long time before MLP became popular. It has nothing to do with the cartoon, or the cereal. It's an independent invention. If I were to name myself after Apple jaCK, why would my avatar be Rainbowdash? Hmm?

And MLP isn't targeted at 6 year old girls. It's like "Where is Roger Rabbit"; a great movie for adults disguised as a movie for kids.

Why is your display picture or an MLP Pony then? And

The show has been critically praised for its humor and moral outlook. Despite the target demographic of young girls.

Edited by sabre05

There's that word again. Realism. In a world where zombies exist. Where weapons, food, drink, medicine, ammunition, vehicles and junk loot literally shits out into the world on regular intervals. Where a person dies, and is teleported through the means of magic to the coastline. Where you can fall through floors, break your legs on opening doors, bleed and go unconscious from dropping 3 feet off of a high kerb. Realism is not a word suited for this game. Authenticity is, but realism most certainly is not.

Beans for making me laugh.

---

As for immunity, all survivors are immune to the virus or whatever caused the infection, otherwise we'd already be infected by now. This isn't directly written or stated anywhere, but anyone with a brain stem can confirm it through inferencing skills. This means, as some others have stated, that there is pretty much no way to completely "hide" ourselves from the infected's vision, hearing, and smell.

As for immunity, all survivors are immune to the virus or whatever caused the infection, otherwise we'd already be infected by now. This isn't directly written or stated anywhere

I could have sworn that it used to be written right on the front page, "You are one of the immune", or something. Well, time to rethink my whole life...