m.cab

Making the mod super hard is the wrong way…

One of the original points made by the OP still stands.

The "casual" gamer, hardcore or not, will walk away from this. Too time-consuming to collect basic survival gear.

I've seen this in action with my partner, a fairly hard-core gamer, who works. He doesn't want to spend a week of his evening leisure time dying over and over again. And he doesn't want to spend a week of his evenings crawling around, carefully watching zed patterns, to "maybe" score a knife and matches. Too boring, and not what he wants after a hard day at work.

Just doesn't want that, although he otherwise loves the game.

No big deal, we play on my server, so we can play with whatever parameters we want.

Of course most "casual" players have to make do with the servers out in the public arena. There are 1.7.6 servers running, and probably "unofficial" 1.7.7.1 servers with massive anti-biotic spawns.

Everybody can find what they want.

I'm pretty hard-core with this game, and since I'm retired have plenty of time. I've spent maybe 20 hours on "official" vanilla servers trying to gear up. Stayed alive for maybe 8 hours on the last go crawling around in low-pop "official" servers. No real worries about PvP. Since recovering my gear is part of my game-play strategy, I managed to get almost fully equipped to survive. But I never found an axe or anti-biotics. Luck.

Then I went on an "official" server with zero players. Took a chance that got me killed with infection. Heli crash with 2 med boxes around it. Respawned and saw another "player" was on. Got about 100 yards on my trek to recover my gear, and got kicked from the "official" server. Couldn't get back on, so I was back to square one.

Now since I'm "hard core" I'll keep trying, and be more careful with "official" server selection.

"Official" is basically a joke except for the public hive. You can't really depend on getting back to your body.

So the key to getting geared up is "Don't die. Ever." Takes a "special" mindset to do that.

I can't imagine the typical "casual" player putting up with it.

In fact, I don't know how much longer I will put up with it.

So I agree with that point from the OP.

Here's my take on this patch. I welcome the new challenge, and the difficulty that comes with it. But the one issue I have with this patch is that zombie's have been buffed when they are still buggy as hell. Apparently it said on the patch notes that zombies can no longer hit through walls. Iv been hit through walls several times. Iv even been hit through the floor in the fire station. The idea of making more zombies more difficult is excellent and I still enjoy the difficulty this patch brings.

But Buff zombies that are buggy as hell is not challenging, its tedious. As long as zombies are obeying the laws of physics, this patch is great fun. But when I'm in the barracks, and 100 or so zombies are hitting me through windows, and walking though the floor, it just gets tedious. I personally would have focused on perfecting zombies before buffing them to this extent.

But hey its still something new, guess were just gonna have to deal with the bugs, its not like its the first time.

Edited by 97ADU Doug

Rocket wants the game to be "inaccessible". The rewards are all the more sweet this way.

:inaccessible' doesn't sell games anymore I'm afraid

OP is right. Game risk/reward needs to be balanced.

And I love those "in the know" who say Rocket wants the SA to be "inaccessible". LOL. I think you misunderstand the meaning. He doesn't mean make the game "unfair". No one would play it. He'd be the worst businessman in the world.

1.7.7 broke the mod. 1.7.7.1 is moving in the right direction.

"Balanced" in the game world does not mean "easy". Go read up on it.

If I'm playing a board game and my opponent gets up and punches me in the face, that is "unfair". Unfair doesn't make a good game.

All the hardcore epeens need to realize THERE IS A REASON that 1.7.7.1 came out so fast.

Think about it.

The harder the better in my opinion. The harder and more brutal it is the longer and more satisfied people will be over a period of time.

The sort of "entitlment" mentality (for lack of a better word) is self destructive in every single game I have ever come across. Hardcore and very capable players have always paved the road for the gaming industry as a whole.

This game isn't even released yet and so it is really unecassary to start catering to casual players not capable of keybinding and the like. The only purpose that will serve is to drive away the hard core players who made dayz possible up to this point.

Eventually when the game is well developed and it's time to move on to new engines it will become more casual friendly as all games inevitably do.

I was a noob too at one point. I joined up with a knowledgable squad and they showed me what to do. The rest is history.

You also have to remember that the sa in and of itself is going to make some aspects of the game inherantly more easy or fluent. That I think will play a big factor on percieved difficulty when interacting with other players or NPC.

If you're in a small barracks and you have a swarm of infected coming for you, they should be beating the hell out of you. If this means that with the limitations of the mod the zombies are swinging at you through windows and walls, so be it. If the mod had no bugs at all in regard to the zombies, you would be dead anyway. They would run at full speed into the room with you, surround you and beat you into a bloody pulp before you could reload your weapon or swing a hatchet fast enough to neutralize the threat.

I can just see the developers licking their chops at the thought of all of the crying and utter frustration they'll see once they have the zombies running inside buildings with us and not getting lost inside conifer trees. The occasional zombie punching you through the wall will be the least of your worries.

Rocket wants the game to be "inaccessible". The rewards are all the more sweet this way.

boy i hope you wrong about that or at least misunderstood what he was saying.the success of this game and the eventual stand alone when it comes out depends on a game that is playable. To make the game inaccessible would be a marketing blunder, a epic fail on a massive grand scale. See if it was to stay a mod, you could just make it the most brutal piece of shit in the world and all the "hardcore" gamers would love it. That cool if you want to cater to the unemployed or under employed basement boys and girls of the world. Or better yet the kids of the world that have all the time in the world to sit in front of a screen and learn all the intricacy of the map, zombie movements, loot tables and spawns, great vantage spots for cheesing. Problem is your going to alienate the people that made this game popular, and that is the casual gamer. If you don't believe me, why not think about it for a second. Why is the a SA coming? Why is there a article every single day about it coming to PS4 or Xbox one? Why is there still a huge following for the mod? Is it because the buying power of the basement boys/children? Or is it because of the 9-5 working class that gets a hour, maybe 2 to spend every other day or so playing it?

See, it can't be impossible. The casual gamer will not tell his other gamer buddies if its too brutal. They will tell them its brutal piece of shit, and go buy Call of Duty, State of Decay, Dust, etc you will enjoy it more. It won't sell. You can have as many cool realistic type features as you want, but if the game don't play, IT WON'T MATTER. It will be DOA.

When something sucks, or is a piece of garbage, people tell 20 people. When its great and the love it, they tell 5. Word of mouth still works in this day and age, and with all the social networking right now, shit can get out of hand in a hurry, and then your left with a under supported, big blunder. Look at what happened with that abortion warZ/Infestation. Social media killed that thing. I am pretty sure that s why the SA hasn't come out yet, because they want to get it right.

As much as you elitist hardcore gamers think you made this game, realize you need the casual gamer to make it successful. To make it exist a year or two from now, your gonna need them.

After this patch came out i had to track down my log in just to comment on this abortion of a patch. Its been like 10 months since i posted on this board, because really I haven't had a reason to complain, or rant. I enjoyed the game the way it was. I enjoy all the different versions, and maps, and new things i see and find through them all. (love the dayz2017 btw, thats how it should be)

Now I am not saying I need the little exploits to make the game fun for me anymore (running in houses, weaving through trees etc) sure they were unrealistic. (words that should never be used to describe a zombie Apocalypse game Zombies=not real, hence can't be realistic)

Problems i have with this current Version (and other issues that should be address in the near future)

Zombies are way way too strong. Super senses, etc I died in 3-4 hits today when i was creeping through kamenka today, and by the time i got back up, there was over 10 Zombies on top of me. Really?

Zombies will run through wall, hit through objects, and run as fast as me. It crap. plain and simple.

I have no issue with the loot tables or spawns, I actually think that they got it right. (except maybe adding more antibiotics, or something to protect you better from infection.

Infections are fucking impossibly retarded. So you telling me i get hit by a "infected zombie" (infected zombie=oxymoron right? )that in 1-2 minutes i got the fucking sniffles? Really? As much as everyone has this "its gotta be realistic" vibe going with this game, that garbage needs to go. Give me a half a day at least. Hell the way it works now, your basically dead in 2 hours of game time without meds. As soon as you fix yourself with antibiotics, one hit later, your sick again. Really? Meds last for days in your system, not minutes. Especially antibiotics.

Zombies movement, basically a guy hit on this earlier. Fix the animation and movements, then buff them. I got zeds knocking me down from 2-3 meters away with no animation. its crap

Other shit that needs to happen;

Hand to hand combat, if a Zombie can knock my ass down, I should be able to kill them with my bare hands.I should be able to kill them BETTER with melee weapons.

Less military weapons. There just don't need to be that many. Needs to be more shotguns, pistols and melee weapons. Less is more.

Improvised Silencer. Fairly easy to construct with common household items.

Ability to create more with trash, ie toilet paper, razors, tin cans

• Like 3

Maybe what the game needs is a P button, press it and the game plays itself for you.

OP is right. Game risk/reward needs to be balanced.

And I love those "in the know" who say Rocket wants the SA to be "inaccessible". LOL. I think you misunderstand the meaning. He doesn't mean make the game "unfair". No one would play it. He'd be the worst businessman in the world.

1.7.7 broke the mod. 1.7.7.1 is moving in the right direction.

"Balanced" in the game world does not mean "easy". Go read up on it.

If I'm playing a board game and my opponent gets up and punches me in the face, that is "unfair". Unfair doesn't make a good game.

All the hardcore epeens need to realize THERE IS A REASON that 1.7.7.1 came out so fast.

Think about it.

If watching a youtube interview where he grins and says he wants the game to be difficult and inaccessible is being "in the know" then you got me. :rolleyes:

I think you misunderstand the game if you think its unfair now. Its really not that hard, you just have to adapt how you play it to the changes made.

You don't think it's balanced anymore... I'll call the zombies and tell them to ease back on the world-ending apocalypse for you, so it'll be more "balanced".

I don't mean to be mean. But the fanboys, in this thread, like any thread talking about the latest patch, say "harder is better".

The problem IS NOT that the game is HARDER.

Like I've said before, playing solitaire with a deck of 46 cards would ALSO be HARDER.

That doesn't make it right or playable or fun or a good simulation.

Nobody said the game "should play itself" but obviously 1.7.7 had some...issues.

THAT IS WHY THE HOTFIX came out SO FAST! Not because people want an easier game. I don't mind a harder game at all. But it must be "BALANCED". And yes, newsflash, even "hard" games need to be "fair".

I told many people not to buy Arma to play DayZ mod based on 1.7.7. It was in my opinion broken and extremely unforgiving to NEW PLAYERS. I told them to wait for the standalone.

I've been playing DayZ for a good long time BUT I can TELL when a patch is overall BAD.

I could make ANY game "harder" without being fair. Example: Add 6 ghosts to Pac-Man and make the power dots only work half of the time. Or take them away altogether. THAT WOULD BE "DIFFICULT" but unfair to new players. Unfair to any players.

They think everything is a pissing contest about their epeen size. If you can't see why 1.7.7 was bad, then I'd just as soon do without you. Because, directly or indirectly, you would continue to ruin the mod by accepting CONTRIVED DIFFICULTY. If you don't know "contrived" then look it up. In a dictionary. Thank god that not everyone is a developer. THANK GOD!

Should ALL LOOT BE TAKEN AWAY? That would be more "difficult". That's kinda what many here are accepting. Sure, a real apocalypse would be nearly unwinnable. But this is a game. Should I assume many here would like to play "knock down the brick house with your heads"? Because that would be difficult too.

READ WHAT PEOPLE ARE WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We aren't saying the game should be EASY. We are saying the game needs to make sense.

You all must be crying your eyes out over 1.7.7.1. NEWSFLASH: It's still harder than it was and in 16 hours I've seen no antibiotics ANYWHERE. Not in cities. Not on farms. Not in industrial areas. That's insane. I'll probably find a GPS before I find antibs.

People here, who seem to think the more posts you have makes you a "real player", need to remember: YOU ARE A VOCAL MINORITY. NOT THE MAJORITY.

Oh, and KLESH, if you think Rocket meant he wants the SA to be an unplayable mess...use a dictionary and look up what he said. I'm pretty sure he meant that it will have a learning curve and be somewhat "involved" as far as mechanics go. Meaning it won't be Bejeweled. He didn't mean he wants zombies to knock you down from a mile away or glitch through walls or make essential loot nearly vacant. Trust me. His investors and even he want the game to be playable. This is a business and not a charity for the epeen braggarts. And I think you need to investigate the word "balanced". I think you are confused.

Edited by need matches
  • Like 1

You're not looking hard enough, I have 6 antib's in my backpack.

Is there some kind of infectious ignorance spread by forums? Your antibiotics bonanza is the result of random chance, just as when others find none.

• Like 1

You are a troll. You don't address the real issues we have and just try and make "clever" remarks directed at those of us that aren't blind to real problems.

And you insist there are problems when there are none.

Is there some kind of infectious ignorance spread by forums? Your antibiotics bonanza is the result of random chance, just as when others find none.

Right, so chance of lots of antibiotics, chance of none, and chance of some.

I fail to see where there is a problem with this? Not every survival story is going to be the same.