Sign in to follow this  
Dagwood

SA and server "exploiters"

As a player that always plays on 20+ player, private hives I think that it is a tad unfair for players to be able to gear up on low population servers and then switch over to a higher population server in the same hive when they are ready for pvp/player interaction.

I suggest that we group servers in the public hive in the SA into two groups: high pop and low pop.

Let me explain how this would work

When you create your new character after the previous one dies, you select whether you want to play high or low population servers. Once you've selected, say, high population, you can only log onto servers with 20+ (or more. I know SA will be capable of hosting much more than the 60-60 max we see now) players.

Why? So that the "economy" of military-top tier loot does not become over inflated and the game doesn't quickly turn into the wasteland style deathmatch that you will encounter on servers with donation perks (DMRs and LMGs under every rock).

Holding into top tier loot on a high pop server should be important and difficult. Losing it shouldn't just mean that you have to server hop a few times on low pop servers at the NWAF until you're ready for another day of pre-kitted pvp on a high server.

Thoughts? Ideas?

At any given time ANY of the servers could be a high pop or low pop and then 10 minutes later be the opposite .... I'm not sure how your idea would work even after your expanation and I really don't see much issue with the current system of having the publicly accessible servers on 1 hive and each of the private servers gets its own.

• Like 2

"Private" is bollocks anyway since a group of servers from a provider still share the same hive...the same as public hive just in a smaller scale.

While i agree with the empty server = more loot part they can only counter it that loot is bound to the amount of players.

I guess my issue is with the balance of loot. I want to feel like I'm holding something precious when I have a scoped rifle and not like its just another dime a dozen. I think the best way to do this is to somehow keep players from "farming" loot from low population servers. This is my propose measure to combat that exploit (although many in the community probably don't see that strategy as such).

If the server population goes from high-low or low-high then you will still be able to join it for 24 hours lets say (if you were already in the server that day)

Edited by Dagwood

The standalone will have a totally new loot spawning system where all the loot spawned across all the servers is controlled by one central server.

One of the things that this allows is for them to limit the amount and type of loot that spawns relative to the population of the server.

Only question is, will they be able to get the balance right.

• Like 1

No reason show the player number. Hid this information. You do not know whether you're alone or 100 people are on the server. I support this.

• Like 4

No reason show the player number. Hid this information. You do not know whether you're alone or 100 people are on the server. I support this.

That is an awesome idea! Have my beans :beans:

I just really hope that military loot is able to stay scarce in the standalone and doesn't become prolific after 2 months of gameplay and looting

I just really hope that military loot is able to stay scarce in the standalone and doesn't become prolific after 2 months of gameplay and looting

Over time there will be an abundance of hardware, you can't prevent that. Let's just hope the rate of loss is greater than the respawn rate of said items.

This is another area where having a central server that monitors the loot will come into play, they can limit the total amount of high tier loot that spawns. for example they could say that no more than 100 DMR's can be in existence at one time throughout the whole of the dayz hive, if some get destroyed or are just simply not used for a set amount of time then more are allowed to spawn.

I read the OP and thought nothing would come out of this. But your idea is easy to implement and would actually add to immersion. :beans:

In the mod I behave quite differently when i know there are only ~20 players, in contrast to when i know the server is full. But if the number isn't shown you don't know what to expect.

Edited by The2ndLink

Only problem with this is you could be playing on a server for days before realising no one else ever goes on there, You'd be making it difficult for the people who want to play on a populated server.

A better suggestion i've seen is to have a rough indicator of how populated each server is, could be as vague as above or below 50% full.

If loot can be made as scarce as you've suggested with this central loot control, I can only imagine how fearful players holding onto military weapons will be if they even dare to interact with anyone else. Maybe this will cut down on elektro/cherno sniping.

So tired of speculating. Release the damn thing already

Only problem with this is you could be playing on a server for days before realising no one else ever goes on there, You'd be making it difficult for the people who want to play on a populated server.

A better suggestion i've seen is to have a rough indicator of how populated each server is, could be as vague as above or below 50% full.

That would be a surprise element, you should still see how many players are on the server when you filter them in the lobby but on the server you shouldn't. Yes your friend could tell you how many are there before he joins 30 minutes later but who knows...maybe ten others just decided to connect while he was in the waiting screen?

But then If the player count is given out by the server at all then people will just be able to have a browser open with GameTracker displaying everything for them.

But then If the player count is given out by the server at all then people will just be able to have a browser open with GameTracker displaying everything for them.

That's something players must decide for themselves. Do they want to rely on external sources like the loot map, game tracker etc. and miss all the fun the game can be? Do you really want to be helped? It's like playing a game while reading the walkthrough book...

That's something players must decide for themselves. Do they want to rely on external sources like the loot map, game tracker etc. and miss all the fun the game can be? Do you really want to be helped? It's like playing a game while reading the walkthrough book...

That kind of renders this whole discussion pointless doesn't it?