andrewmont

Tried everything to improve FPS? Look here, from 10 to 50fps!

Okay It's been a while since I've posted here but this is by far going to be my best post.

I want to keep this as concise as possible. First of all, I tried RamDisk, putting in alternate startup parameters, shutting of windows explorer, running game boosters and nothing worked.

If you want highly improved performance download Ultimate Defrag, you get a free trial (not sure how long this performance will last before I need to defrag again but I'll post here when it starts to drop)

1. Once you've downloaded it run a "fragmented files only" this shouldn't take too long.

2. Now run it on "Auto", click options beforehand and pull the slider to optimum. This stage will take a good few hours so you're best to leave it before you go to bed or something.

3. Now go to tools-settings, click the "files and folders" box and add your entire Arma2 Folder to the list on the left. Once this is done run "File/Folder Name" with "Respect High Performance" and "Complete High performance then stop" selected in the options.

This will likely take a few hours depending on the state of your hard drive! I managed to make my FPS go from 5-20 to a steady 40 with HIGH settings. I can actually run the game with AA, HDR, Antiostropic, Texture Quality all on High!

EDIT: To perhaps dampen some of the scepticism I'll briefly explain how to my knowledge it works. Arma is very hard disk reliant and as we all know hard disks can become a messy place so by following the steps above it will re arrange files and in step 3 specifically Arma files for the fastest access. If you try this and your FPS still hasn't improved then please message me and I'll try and help.

Also the options I have given are just what I did at first, since then I have fiddled with it a bit and tried some other things out. I recommend you read the user guide and maybe just google "DayZ Ultimate Defrag optimise"

Edited by AndrewM
  • Like 1

has anyone else tried this yet? i sure would love to see if it worked

has anyone else tried this yet? i sure would love to see if it worked

Well it worked for me :) try it, it's free what's the worst that can happen :L you wont regret it. If you want some assurance then just google it and youll see others have used it too.

From the disktrix website.

• Now Defrag All NTFS System Files: MFT, Page File, $Logfile, Hyberfile, $USN ChangeJournal and more. Not only can you defrag them, UltimateDefrag lets you specifically place them where you like for optimum performance - for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7, Vista & XP.

Why not win8 I tend to mistrust software that is so slow to upgrade to new versions of windows.

Do you happen to work for this "defrag program" or did you happen to make it? ;) , just asking mate... sounds great otherwise

• Now Defrag All NTFS System Files: MFT, Page File, $Logfile, Hyberfile, $USN ChangeJournal and more. Not only can you defrag them, UltimateDefrag lets you specifically place them where you like for optimum performance - for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7, Vista & XP.

Why not win8 I tend to mistrust software that is so slow to upgrade to new versions of windows.

Well I've tried many other defraggers and none were as thorough as this one. Nor did they have such an effect on performance.

Do you happen to work for this "defrag program" or did you happen to make it? ;) , just asking mate... sounds great otherwise

I know my excitement can be misleading but if you look at my previous posts you'll see I've long had problems with FPS and Day Z is one of my favourite games. I'm just a bit too giddy now that I can actually play one of my favourite games :) Maybe I should get them to pay me :L

• Like 1

I agree, that ultimate defrag is indeed a very decent software. But keep in mind, people with the game and system installed on an SSD do not need defragmentation software.

win8 is win7.. -.- there can be nothing that can run on win7 but not on win8....

Edited by SoulHunter

I agree, that ultimate defrag is indeed a very decent software. But keep in mind, people with the game and system installed on an SSD do not need defragmentation software.

an SSD could not make that much difference. Maybe a little bit in regards to game/map load time etc...

SSD makes a LOT of difference. When I started playing Battlefiend 3 on SSD, I was waiting for other players because their maps got loaded so slow.

• Like 2

Nothing will truly help anyone's FPS besides just getting a better computer

This can help a lot though for people with a decent computer who're getting incredibly bad FPS. I have i3 540 which is why the game maybe runs so badly for me normally but I have a Radeon 7770 so averaging 12FPS is just ridiculous.

This can help a lot though for people with a decent computer who're getting incredibly bad FPS. I have i3 540 which is why the game maybe runs so badly for me normally but I have a Radeon 7770 so averaging 12FPS is just ridiculous.

If your running your game on settings any lower than High, your GPU isn't being used at all, its putting the whole load on your CPU, and with a i3 it simply can't handle that type of stress.

Well it certainly has some effect but not a massive one. Thanks for putting it out there mate!

win8 is win7.. -.- there can be nothing that can run on win7 but not on win8....

I have a number of programs that would not run on win8 after I did the upgrade from win7. I had to wait for the software developers to update those programs for use with win8. It has been my experience that most developers that do not list the latest version of windows in there specs either no longer develop the program, are working on a new version that is not an upgrade to the old version and will have to be purchased again or have sold the program off to some one else who may or may not support it. I'm not saying this is true of what you offer. I just prefer to do my homework before spending money.

Some of my rules when buying online from small or little known company's are

Does the contact info list a real address not a po box. Then do a mapquest and see what is at that address.

Does the contact info list a real phone number preferably a 1-800 number that works.

Does it look like the product is still being supported

Do a whois lookup on the domain name see registration info and whether it matches the website and if it is private or not.

Go to Google type in "product or company name reviews"

Go to YouTube do a search there.

I have yet to make a purchase online that I have regretted.

SSD makes a LOT of difference. When I started playing Battlefiend 3 on SSD, I was waiting for other players because their maps got loaded so slow.

as said before, it will help a lil (to me.. maybe a "HUUUGEEE" difference to you) "IN REGARDS TO LOAD TIMES ETC". Not FPS really...

And if you guys cannot wait a few more seconds (which ik sucks anyway) go get an IOFX for $2500 and ur PCs load everything within 5 sec.

I have a number of programs that would not run on win8 after I did the upgrade from win7. I had to wait for the software developers to update those programs for use with win8. It has been my experience that most developers that do not list the latest version of windows in there specs either no longer develop the program, are working on a new version that is not an upgrade to the old version and will have to be purchased again or have sold the program off to some one else who may or may not support it. I'm not saying this is true of what you offer. I just prefer to do my homework before spending money.

Does the contact info list a real address not a po box. Then do a mapquest and see what is at that address.

Does the contact info list a real phone number preferably a 1-800 number that works.

Do a whois lookup on the domain name see registration info and whether it matches the website and if it is private or not.

Its said by microsoft that win8 is actually a win7 with a few more features and that touch tech as everything that can run on win7 can also run on win8. Thats why the products of "microsoft" and any other company that were used to run on win7 have still the description like;

Supported OSs:"XP, Vista, Win7" but not "Win8" anyway.

If you have some application that can run on win7 but cannot run on win8 (which I cud hardly believe) then "those application-wannabies" are actially not ordinary application but sth weird..

PS:Im guessing ur being confused about "32b OS" and "64b OS" or "Linux" etc.. If thats the case, then there would ofcourse be a problem with OS cus they do not really mean to support eachother or such... So if you would try to run a Linux program or a 64b program on a 32b microsoft OS, then you will probably have a bad time.

Edited by SoulHunter

If you have some application that can run on win7 but cannot run on win8 (which I cud hardly believe) then "those application-wannabies" are actially not ordinary application but sth weird..

PS:Im guessing ur being confused about "32b OS" and "64b OS" or "Linux" etc.. If thats the case, then there would ofcourse be a problem with OS cus they do not really mean to support eachother or such... So if you would try to run a Linux program or a 64b program on a 32b microsoft OS, then you will probably have a bad time.

I use my computer for many things which include but not limited to CAD, 3d modeling, 3d animation, movie editing, website design, scripting and much more. Now I'm sure that for people that just use their computers to browse the web, read emails and play games there would be no issues with win8 running mainstream win7 programs. The programs that needed upgrading were from developers that were not household names. I had win7 running at 64bit so that was not the issue. Explain to me please if all win7 programs run on win8 why Microsoft would have developed the "Windows Upgrade Advisor" which ms advises you run before upgrading to win8 to see if your programs and devices will work? As far as I remember Microsoft has never done this with previous versions of windows.

Edit- and yes I do know about compatibility mode in win8 and I use it.

Edited by RollingLizard1

I use my computer for many things which include but not limited to CAD, 3d modeling, 3d animation, movie editing, website design, scripting and much more.

All of which^ can still be done on win8 with no problem. can also be done in mac, linux and even in my calculator.

Explain to me please if all win7 programs run on win8 why Microsoft would have developed the "Windows Upgrade Advisor" which ms advises you run before upgrading to win8 to see if your programs and devices will work? As far as I remember Microsoft has never done this with previous versions of windows.

cus it was back then a new product.

And yes, it did. It is only to see if the computer, the OS and the programs included in it are avaiblable for the OS upgrade and nothing else.

*claps*

To sum up, any specific program that cannot run on win8 for what you wrote up up and up there ? As I said before.. or wait, lemme quote myself;

Thanks

Regards

Edited by SoulHunter

Then don't buy it, use the free trial. It's what its there for. I also have never regretted a purchase because I test my software myself before I buy.

• Like 1