alexahr2008

Soda Should count towards hunger (a little bit)

I want to preface this by saying that I believe Blood is dependent on Protein. This is why Meat gives more than beans. Soda however has no protein so no blood benefits.

A can of coke has 140 calories

A canteen of water has ZERO calories

A can of beans has ~ 490 Calories

If Can of beans takes you from Starvation (blinking red) to full (green)

then a Can of Soda should take you from Blinking red to Orange.

You cannot survive forever on Soda but for the time span we are talking about (leader boards say 115 Hours) it will keep you alive.

CONVERSELY

Standard Issue Military Canteen is 1 quart or 32 ounces.

For those who argue that the Canteens are on the metric system 1 litre is 33.8 ounces

So If a whole Canteen goes from blinking red to green,

Then a Soda with ~ 11 ounces of water in it would take you from blinking red to Light orange

I think this would bring an interesting dynamic to the Canteen vs Soda decision.

I wouldn't care about gaining food levels from soda, but the net gain should be lower than water due to the smaller content of water, we don't need specific theories on why (like that the amount of caffeine and sugar takes energy from the body when processed).

The reason why I think it's an acceptable change to the mechanics is that soda cans don't clog up your inventory when you empty them whereas you want to keep that empty canteen there.

At the moment, soda is "cheaper" to lug around than water. I find that silly :)

lol just a side topic somewhat related to this... shouldn't canned goods also satisfy ur thirst for a bit? i've noticed this but A LOT of canned goods has liquid in them, sure its not water, sure it isnt a lot... but considering the situation (survival) i'd bet that i'd still drink it and so shouldn't it "heal" the thirst for a bit?

I wouldn't care about gaining food levels from soda' date=' but the net gain should be lower than water due to the smaller content of water, we don't need specific theories on why (like that the amount of caffeine and sugar takes energy from the body when processed).

The reason why I think it's an acceptable change to the mechanics is that soda cans don't clog up your inventory when you empty them whereas you want to keep that empty canteen there.

At the moment, soda is "cheaper" to lug around than water. I find that silly :)

[/quote']

^ That. I agree.

lol just a side topic somewhat related to this... shouldn't canned goods also satisfy ur thirst for a bit? i've noticed this but A LOT of canned goods has liquid in them' date=' sure its not water, sure it isnt a lot... but considering the situation (survival) i'd bet that i'd still drink it and so shouldn't it "heal" the thirst for a bit?

[/quote']

Really any food has water in it. A Big Mac? it's mostly water. The French fries? Mostly water. Canned beans, again, mostly water.

But, uh, this is like, #3189 on the list of things to worry about and we're at #5

personally i think the thirst system needs a rework, so far its just a fluff system, compared to eating that actually heals you, drinking doesn't really do much else it doesn't really have any weight to it.

i liked the idea of changing both hunger and thirst into a percentage based system so its a bit more dynamic instead of 1 can = thirst quenched 1 beans = hunger satiated have a bit of a mix of foods and values.

also yes cans of soda should actually be detrimental to water intake caffeine is pretty diuretic.

^^^^ Not really^^^^

you need protein to make Red blood cells, White blood cells, and Platelets. Soda has Zero protein So it would not help with Blood level

I wouldn't mind seeing some those ideas make their way into the game down the road.

I like the thought of Soda not only counting towards 1/3 or less of your thirst value, since drinking soda and being physically active tends to generate a faster need for more fluids than drinking just water. I wouldn't want to see Soda become a source to sustain your hunger.

Going that far then eating say Frank and Beans + Steaks would yield a higher hunger value and blood gain over just a can of Beans(More protein/Maybe because it is not just beans) and the Pasta would maybe help prevent your hunger level from rising for an extended period of time and only sustain 1/2ish hunger and no blood(Mostly carbos), not sure about Sardines? a little blood and and 1/2ish hunger.

If anything the sodas should help the blood level a bit.

This. After you give blood they give you a soda and a cookie not a can of sardines after all. Some day soda should give maybe 100 blood and refill thirst about 1/2 as much as water.

This. After you give blood they give you a soda and a cookie not a can of sardines after all. Some day soda should give maybe 100 blood and refill thirst about 1/2 as much as water.

Sounds like an idea...

I want to preface this by saying that I believe Blood is dependent on Protein. This is why Meat gives more than beans. Soda however has no protein so no blood benefits.

You cannot survive forever on Soda but for the time span we are talking about (leader boards say 115 Hours) it will keep you alive.

CONVERSELY

For those who argue that the Canteens are on the metric system 1 litre is 33.8 ounces

So If a whole Canteen goes from blinking red to green' date='

Then a Soda with ~ 11 ounces of water in it would take you from blinking red to Light orange

I think this would bring an interesting dynamic to the Canteen vs Soda decision.

[/quote']

It should work in reverse. Soda in reality actually makes you more thirsty in the long run. You get instant gratification but later on you will feel more thirsty.

On to another point, soda doesn't have the vitamins and nutrients that food would give. Calories doesn't count towards sating your hunger... Eating food would still be required.

CONVERSELY

So If a whole Canteen goes from blinking red to green' date='

[/quote']

It should work in reverse. Soda in reality actually makes you more thirsty in the long run. You get instant gratification but later on you will feel more thirsty.

On to another point, soda doesn't have the vitamins and nutrients that food would give. Calories doesn't count towards sating your hunger... Eating food would still be required.

That idea I would say is partially right as you can go 3 weeks alone on nothing but soda if you needed. Its not like you drink soda every while for 3 weeks and just die of dehydration randomly. I don't think any distinction for certain foods excluding level it fills in game needs to be made to food/drink types unless they start adding bonuses like quicker sprint speeds or more stable aim etc...

Although I do think the current food/water system is basically worthless and could use a change, I can't imagine anyone actually dieing to these in the games current state. They don't add to the survival aspect other then making people sitting out in the middle of no where go to a town once in a while. I don't think making partially filling food etc... would matter much in terms of the games game-play.

Although I would be all for Canteens being rare but refillable take 2 slots and allow 3 drinks from it or something like that to occur. It would give them a tangible benefit and value over soda.

i've noticed this but A LOT of canned goods has liquid in them' date=' sure its not water, sure it isnt a lot... but considering the situation (survival) i'd bet that i'd still drink it and so shouldn't it "heal" the thirst for a bit?

[/quote']

Anything liquid at room temperature is almost definitely water.