Sign in to follow this  
KoKi?S

Being asked for CD-key from support@bistudio.com!!??!!

Hello,

First of all excuse me for my english.

Ill explain the story.

A week ago i formated my PC. After new win install in started to install back my games. I got stuck while installing from ARMA 2 CD, wich has benn scratched so it will not complete an installacion.

So i decided to write an e-mail to customer support.

I checked the official arma site for email address. I found an addres support@bistudio.com on http://www.bistudio.com/company/contacts.

So i wrote an email, about my problem.

I got an reply back within couple of mins from:

od: Jiri Velek via RT <support@bistudio.com> prek domene snek2.altargames.com odg. na: support@bistudio.com

za:: grafika.brimal@gmail.com

datum: 20. junij 2013 16:16zadeva: [iDEA-GAMES-RT #54827] Requesting supportposlano iz domene: snek2.altargames.comcleardot.gif: Pomembno predvsem zato, ker je bilo poslano neposredno vam.

Hello,

please send us photos of your ARMA 2 disc, box and manual with printed

CD key and we will provide you with the electronic installation of ARMA 2.

Thank you.

cleardot.gif

--

Best regards,

Jiri Velek

Bohemia Interactive

So i responded, offcourse with the pics. I find it odd that, the company was asking me for the CD key. Also its strange that i got an reply within minutes. And when i sent the pics, i got no respond. Im realy sorry if im over reacting, but im afraid i was scamed.

And when i think of it that i sended an email to an official e-mail account advertised on an Companys official internet site.... its scary...

Can anyone help me on this. I googled Jiri Velek and found nothing... Can i get some DEV help on this...

Thank you for any help in advance.

Damjan Šarec

I'd have to assume it's legit, especially if it's coming from the BIS domain.

Jiri Velek could be a member of the BIS support staff, or something... after all, if you Google my name, you don't find out what bank I work in!

• Like 1

Probably just taking them a while

• Like 1

If the email is coming from support@bistudio.com then you're safe :)

I would of also thought you could download ArmA 2 free and then upgrade with your key ? :huh: Not 100% sure but i don't see why not

• Like 1

I realy hope so too, if the reply was legit i can say the answer was fast + asking for an picture of cd-key is a bit strange.

I will report back soon as i hear from BI.

Although i must say i was very pleased at first, when i found that they can help me. Then after i send the pics, i was thinking about this, and more that i thought about it, more i felt scamed. Maybe im just paranioded.

I still have another question: I own arma 2 (cd version), Arma 2 OA (steam version)...

No that i cannot play cause i have an broken CD, and waiting for an reply from BI, can I do anything to play DAYZ mean while. Mabye downloading arma 2 free??

Thanks lads.

Damjan Šarec

You can use ArmA 2 free with OA to play Dayz :) lower graphics and sound quality, at least you can play though.

When you have the free version downloaded, see if there is an option to upgrade to full using your CD key ? worth a shot.

• Like 1

Hi. I think you're safe.

In future I'd recommend asking on the official BIS forums here: http://www.bistudio.com/

There's lot's of customer support info on there and some useful contact information. We can't really help you regarding your key ect as technically this forum is really just for the free mod DayZ. Good luck.

• Like 1

steam do this process too to check you own the game before giving you links for the game its standard practice. they will also check if the key is being used by someone else too

I've gone thru this sorta issues before as well. They asked for the same infos though. It took about 2-3 weeks to get a respond saying that it takes a long time to prove that the images are not edited or such with verification stuffs and so. I hope you did not crop/edit the images cus they especially asked me not to do such a thing with the first respond =)

PS:And yes, I'm pretty sure that you are safe if you are well sure that you sent the mail to the right e-mail address, which I would not doubt though.. Its hard to make typing mistake while copying/pasting a text ya know.. =)

Regards

It's safe. As mentioned before, Steam does this with Valve's games(Orangebox[remember that?], HL2 bundle).

Since it's ARMA 2, and Bohemia Interactive is asking for the CD key, you're safe. They're the company that made and sells the games.

They have your CD key anyway. All they need you to take a picture of it for is to verify that your info matches their database.

Well, they won't just give you the download link without verifying that your copy is legit.

Picture if a cd-key was like an authentication for server side encryption, where the only thing that could even see your cd-key, would be the server, but it would be encrypted, thus slowing down that cd-key theft. Steam:ID/ArmaGUID all encrypted in a language the server could read. i dont, know im just tossin an idea out there. kinda like that battle net authentication for World of Warcraft. like i said i dont know just tossing ideas around

I'd have to assume it's legit, especially if it's coming from the BIS domain.

Jiri Velek could be a member of the BIS support staff, or something... after all, if you Google my name, you don't find out what bank I work in!

Seeing Essex.. Im gunna go with LTSB.. Lol