GBTP

Remove the ability to store rifles in backpacks

You couldn't fit a rifle in a backpack. Maybe a sea bag.

You probably could. Well, maybe not a DMR. But we always laugh with my friend that we can carry 4 wheels in a backpack, and a car engine in our pockets.

yes u can---but you have to disassemble it first...

Edited by snowcrAsh42
  • Like 5

Hunting backpacks are not make believe despite there being no in game models for them. If we are to remove the ability to store a rifle in a backpack then surely a these need to be removed too.

jerry can

wheel

engine

fuel parts

glass

tank trap

etc etc etc etc....

I think its a good idea in theory.. maybe have special hunting backpacks that allow for a rifle to be stored! And have us carry the heavier items....

• Like 1

...but you have to disassemble it first...

I would love to see that.

Edit:

Hunting backpacks are not make believe...

I googled hunting back pack (I just wasn't familiar) it looks like they just *sometimes* have a flap or a pouch on the outside of the pack that allows you to strap in a rifle? I could see there being a/a couple packs in game with a dedicated weapon slot that didn't count against it's carry load.

But yeah, you shouldn't be able to throw tires or an engine in your back pack... A jerry can maybe, if it was the only thing..

Edited by GBTP

I think storing 24 cans of coke in your backpack seems pretty legit...

• Like 1

Well it wouldn't be hard to strap a rifle to your pack if the bag has buckles or velcrow for that (or if you jury rig something like that on).

So you opt for realism or what? How about you try to just tie a string fof rope through all the triggers or other parts of weapons and then tie them to your backpack. Voila heavy as hell and 10+ assault carbine bag.

Yeah I so no to having them in your pack but attaching to the top bottom and sides should be able to

ever think that maybe you are slinging it to the side?

Lets not point out a games flaws that Really cant be fixed

because in real life you could carry alot more than in some instances

and alot less in others

and cars can hold a whole hell of alot more than they do in the mod

ever think that maybe you are slinging it to the side?

Lets not point out a games flaws that Really cant be fixed

because in real life you could carry alot more than in some instances

and alot less in others

and cars can hold a whole hell of alot more than they do in the mod

I think he was talking about the standalone....? Or at least I was haha

I agree.

I think it's absurd that people can carry two rifles without any real drawbacks... on one server I have a DMR and an M14 AIM.

Who would carry around two different types of M14s? That's ridiculous. The game should make you choose a gun and stick to it, having multiple primary weapons is something that belongs in arcade games, and the scenarios in which that would make some kind of sense are very few compared to those in which it makes no sense at all.

The ability to swap optics on weapons will take away the "need" to carry more than one rifle, in most cases.

And if DayZ ever gets a carry-weight system to go with the inventory-slot system folks will be less inclined to overburden themselves anyway.

EDIT: It'd be nice if they included a requirement to set your scopes if you swap them around, but with the "simple" attachment system, it's probably not likely.

Edited by Chabowski

I say no rifles in any farken bags

Edited by liquidcactus

I have a Mosin Nagant IRL and I can run it up the side of my pack under the compression straps and it doesn't take any storage space up, but it is on my back leaving me open to carry another primary weapon. I think you guys are forgetting the important part of a weapon. The ammo. Ammo for two large primary weapons is going to way a ton. 300 rounds for a mosin weighs between 30-35 lbs.

I have a Mosin Nagant IRL and I can run it up the side of my pack under the compression straps and it doesn't take any storage space up, but it is on my back leaving me open to carry another primary weapon. I think you guys are forgetting the important part of a weapon. The ammo. Ammo for two large primary weapons is going to way a ton. 300 rounds for a mosin weighs between 30-35 lbs.

Besides a practical understanding of basic physics and spatial understanding I don't have a lot of real world experience traveling with rifles; ammunition weight would have never occurred to me as being more of hindrance than the actual weapons themselves.

Edit for grammar

Edited by GBTP

I agree.

I think it's absurd that people can carry two rifles without any real drawbacks... on one server I have a DMR and an M14 AIM.

Who would carry around two different types of M14s? That's ridiculous. The game should make you choose a gun and stick to it, having multiple primary weapons is something that belongs in arcade games, and the scenarios in which that would make some kind of sense are very few compared to those in which it makes no sense at all.

Well, I don't think the fact that you can carry two types of the same rifle justifies removing the ability at all. I mean, the M4 is a very compact rifle and there's generally no need to carry two of them but it is easily possible to put a second one in certain backpacks, or sling it over your shoulder. This would be a mainly pointless endeavor because they draw from the same ammo pool but it allows you to provide weaponry for multiple group members and with weapon degradation, you could use it as a backup weapon.

And that also doesn't mean that you couldn't carry other weaponry. You might take that lucky M4A1 which you've tricked out with an aimpoint sight, m203 grenade launcher and whatever other accessories, but the 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition is relatively rare (And will be super-rare in the SA if anything the devs have said is true). You're not going to want to waste your very rare ammo on a couple zombies or to shoot an animal that you were hunting if you'd need that ammo much more for that huge horde of zombies you somehow managed to encounter or a hostile player who has a lot of firepower. Instead, you could carry a CZ-550 in your backpack for picking off stragglers or hunting, because the ammo is more common and the weapon is useful in different ways than the M4A1.

I definitely agree that there should be drawbacks for carrying multiple firearms with a lot of ammunition, but it can come in handy a little more often than you'd think. Unless you'd rather shoot a moose with a Makarov.

Ehhhh, if there are realistic disadvantages implemented, then okay, but as it exists right now? No way.

This old gem.

Exactly. One of those topics that never goes away.

I give the same idea every time. Add several hunting packs that allow you to carry a rifle in them as well as the current backpacks that shouldn't be able to. Gives the game a little variety and solves the problem.