joe_mcentire

[SA] husbandry: consumables with time-dependent properties

First-off: The whole health system will not be based solely on blood and is going to be completely revamped for the (later) Standalone (builds).

So please consider this when reading the following:

The idea is to add time-dependent properties to food and water resources and consumables.

Create for every blood-replenishing property an equivalent timer-property t_blood_muliplier. So this would mean, the longer you would eat/drink from something the more blood would be replenished and hunger/thirst would be appeased. This would create the possibility to husband your consumables: Use only as much as you really need!

------------------------

Example (replenishing blood, as a good example from the current health system of the mod)

• Canned food with blood = 200
  • t_blood_multiplier = 0.1
    • blood*t_blood_multiplier = 20

So you start eating the can and the timer starts counting down from t = 20s. To eat the whole can you need 20s and would get 200 blood. By clicking the right mouse button for example you could interrupt the process. So you stop to eat from the can at t = 9s.-->means you have regenerated 110 blood and that leaves you 90 blood remaining in your can.

-------------------------

My focus was more on the idea to have the opportunity to husband your consumables rather than on the functions and dependencies behind that. So you could also replace blood with satiety or something. Simply develop this thought further and use it to share single consumables with others (humanity/spreading of diseases) or how about the use of syringes: you give too much morphine you die/go into a coma (already mentioned by Death Dealer (which irony ;))

edit: don't get flustered by the numbers involved. this is still WIP!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

it is completely differant

you need food and no shock and to be warm and not ill, then you're blood will increase (or something like that)

food = blood is not how it will work in the SA

oh my...why did i even write the introductory paragraph....or the last one....

edit: i don't know what you took out from my suggestion but i mentioned twice that one should not focus on blood = health. Focus on the bold written text

Edited by joe_mcentire

Yeah, I think that Rocket's idea was to make consumable objects to have certain amount of "uses", so you can divide the items in rations and not using the entire can, I might be wrong but I think it's the best approach for it.

well i don't think that the rations idea ist the best fitting one in terms of authenticity. the timer-approach also has the benefit of (how ironic) its distinctive drawback: "overdosing". With an attached timer it is far more likely to overdose your medicine/food/water..whatever and this could lead to immense drawbacks:

HUD: The ultimate goal is to have as few elements as possible on the screen. Nevertheless are there at the moment:

hunger, blood, thirst, temperature.

Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy, Paracelsus.

Don't you think everything should be about the right balance? Shouldn't the hud also represent that? too much food or water is as bad as too little of them.

e.g.

• too much food -> slower movements, vomitting, acoustic signals
  • too much water -> problems with Acid–base homeostasis
  • too high temperature -> collapsing, blacking out

Wouldn't this lead to far more immersion if you can't just max out all your stats?

Edited by joe_mcentire

of course provided that all these actions can be performed whilst moving, otherwise i could see ppl being annoyed to wait at one spot for several seconds.

It's a nice idea, and it totally makes sense that you would be able to drink/eat only a certain amount of what you carry at a time, but considering as mentioned, the idea of having minimal - no HUD will likely be a part of SA, you wouldn't really be able to tell how much you should consume to keep you in that 'sweet spot'.

Also, how far do things like this go? As much as I like the idea, things like this get to the point where it's just too much detail. Eating an item, one use and it's gone, easy to remember and simplistic, certain amounts at a time is a novel idea but do you then say you can't drink a little bit of a can of coke, as it cannot be resealed? Or do you hold the can in your hand until it's all gone? Does tinned food go foul if you leave some of it for too long? Etc, etc. I think Rocket's choice of 'authenticity' rather than 'realistic' was spot on.

• Like 1

It's a nice idea, and it totally makes sense that you would be able to drink/eat only a certain amount of what you carry at a time, but considering as mentioned, the idea of having minimal - no HUD will likely be a part of SA, you wouldn't really be able to tell how much you should consume to keep you in that 'sweet spot'.

of course you can tell - Dean has mentioned several times he wants to bring these little text messages at the beginning, later on replace as much as possible with immersive audible/visual signals.

I also see a poblem in the idea that a maxed food/blood/drink bar means no hunger/healthy/no thirst. it should be a balance. too much food/water is equally bad as too little. too mcuh blood...well..high blood-pressure ;)..

well yeah as described above...

Also, how far do things like this go? As much as I like the idea, things like this get to the point where it's just too much detail. Eating an item, one use and it's gone, easy to remember and simplistic, certain amounts at a time is a novel idea but do you then say you can't drink a little bit of a can of coke, as it cannot be resealed? Or do you hold the can in your hand until it's all gone? Does tinned food go foul if you leave some of it for too long? Etc, etc. I think Rocket's choice of 'authenticity' rather than 'realistic' was spot on.

i agree with you here, however if the implementation is comparatively easy and doesn't take too much time as the rations-idea i would go for it.

again of course it is an idea which would be nice if the implementation would take comparatively little time.

Edited by joe_mcentire

so NEWS FROM ROCKET on Reddit (http://redd.it/1ipu5g ):

Q: Rocket? Rationing of consumables (discrete or continuous way)? Will we be able to do so? And if yes: would consumables be split into several parts (discrete way) or could you use them "over time" by adding a timer to the consuming-process (continuous way)?

A: Yes, this is how it currently works. But I found it annoying on Friday when my character was very thirsty and I kept having to take swigs... so looking at additional aspects to it. ... I have an opinion on where this will go. But perhaps I'm best to keep that opinion to myself until I can qualify it with some ingame changes. Until then I'm just saying: the current split consumables is how it works but it is sometimes annoying.

Edited by joe_mcentire

They should add the abillity to share water and food, only you get half health from it and slight risk of infection

They should add the abillity to share water and food, only you get half health from it and slight risk of infection

that was one of my main ideas tbh. and of course that syringe-morphinge-wrong dosage thingy. would be some nice scenarios i guess. and youtube material ;)

• Like 1

What if rationed consumables required a container? For example, you could ration a coke, but only if you had a bottle. Or you could ration brands, but only you had something to hold it in.

that was one of my main ideas tbh. and of course that syringe-morphinge-wrong dosage thingy. would be some nice scenarios i guess. and youtube material ;)

Eat half a can of food then spit in it and offer your buddy the other half.

What if rationed consumables required a container? For example, you could ration a coke, but only if you had a bottle. Or you could ration brands, but only you had something to hold it in.

meehhh....i suppose ;). no really, i think it is not too realistic and would also be annoying i guess.

Why wouldn't you just sip from the can as often as you like with swigs as huge as you want? far more intuitve and authentic imo. Your suggestion seems impractical and far more annoying as the current system. look a few post prior there is a statement from Dean where he says that even the current system is highly annoying sometimes.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Rocket? did you work anything out yet to get rid of the annoying rationing-aspect of the game?