Sign in to follow this  
Maloney (DayZ)

Best Weapons?

I've not played DayZ for a while, as far as I'm aware lots of changes have been made to weapons, some have been nerfed, others removed entirely.

What would you say are the best weapons in the latest game version and why? In what situations do you think they are most effective in? And what gun is best for most situations?

I'm currently using an MP5A5 and a G17

Edited by Maloney

Hatchet - its deadly - one hit one kill and its quiet = not making much aggro

• Like 1

Hatchet - its deadly - one hit one kill and its quiet = not making much aggro

And for PVP combat? I'm sure a hatchet would be pretty inaffective once a bandit spots you from about 50m away.

And for PVP combat? I'm sure a hatchet would be pretty inaffective once a bandit spots you from about 50m away.

have not seen much of them lately - proly all dead from infection :D

Edited by V3C1C

umm...M95A5 never heard of that.

Sorry it was a typo, I meant MP5A5, I've corrected it now.

Currently my loadout is CZ550, Enfield and M1911/Revolver. This is more for an authentic feel as opposed to how good they are. I'm a big fan of the CZ however, and both pistols got bumped up to pre 1.6.2 values I think (i.e. alot more).

Favourite gun though is still the M16A4 ACOG. Perfect for the 100-400 metre headshot, that thing is the epitome of accuracy.

I think this patch has REALLY boosted the value of silenced autos. Before, they were more of a gimmick, as they were too rare for use on zombies, and range/damage too poor to be your main primary. Don't get me wrong, they were great guns and everyone loves a silencer, but too impractical for zeds and too weak for humans. Now though, with insane zed persistence, the best thing to get you out of a jam with zombies. Anything else and they're too loud, it'll just attract more. I think the Bizon and especially M4A1 CCO SD will become extremely valuable. Plus they'll always be the best backup primary IMO.

• Like 1

DMR is a beastly gun, Ammo is more common than most others and the mil dot system is easy to work, aswell as the combatability with night vision

Most important weapon for PvE:

hatchet/machete/crowbar

My favourite weapons for PvP:

M14 AIM

DMR

M4A1 SD

DMR is wonderful, but this new patch ive broke the M4A1 CCO SD's out, they seems to still deal a fair bit of damage and make the zombie problem a little less messy.

CZ 550 and the M14 aim with the M1911 as a side arm.

Why? because the M14 and Cz 550 do 7k blood each and the M1911 does around 4k now with the latest patch.

M14 & DMR, M14 for close-medium range and DMR for longer, they also use the same ammo.

G36K or G36A for the double aim (CCO + Scope)

M4A1 SD camo for zeds with the new patch

Edited by DJ_Teschmi

AS50 :trollface:

I'm not too sure about that - a good shot will plug you forthwith but I'll bet that zig-zagging towards the typical player, or doing the classic thing where you run towards them in an arc, would bring you within striking distance. And once you're up-close the hatchet is nasty. THWUP! I'm reminded of this scene from The In-Laws (skip to 0:48 for the "serpentine!" bit):

My vote goes for a combo of hatchet + situational awareness + tactical nous + navigational skills, and it doesn't matter so much which rifle you have. Any M16 variation with a couple of magazines of SD ammo is a fantastic all-rounder, an M14 is good outdoors but now that we have to raid hospitals for antibiotics any loud noises in the town centre are going to draw a lot of flak.

Edited by AshleyP

an M14 is good outdoors but now that we have to raid hospitals for antibiotics any loud noises in the town centre are going to draw a lot of flak.

I'd be reluctant to shoot in town with any gun. I suppose a silenced pistol would be a good alternative although those are getting rare and are pretty inaffective in pvp

SVD and Bizon, in all seriousness.

The SVD's good combo of wide FoV and zoom allows for spotting duties, but the built-in rangefinder allows for good long range shots. And dat camo. Not to mention the good-sized round that can match the DMR pretty dang closely.

The Bizon's silencer makes it near-unhearable. It's ammo is rare, granted, but if you use the "backpack-refill" glitch (which everyone is guilty of at some point in their gaming life), the couple of magazines you will probably find go a long way. 64 rounds per magazine, minimal recoil and meh iron sights (if you can deal with the Winchester and Makarov, this is nothing NEAR as bad). All in all, 64-round mags + headshots = 64 kills per mag. Not many other guns can make that boast, and it's good for practice in the woods because people can't hear you fire. I've had my fair share of kills with it.

Now, for an all-around useful gun, I would pick the FN FAL or L85A2 Holo. Skip the SUShAT, that scope is whorendous (RWJ, anyone?). The FAL's good sights and super-high damage are all big plusses in my checkbook, and the burst-mode for clearing rooms (AKA PANIC MODE) is sure to kill em' before they hit the ground. the Holo doesn't have much going for it beyond the M4A1 CCO, but the specialty reticle and laser attatchment I find very useful during squad night-raids, plus the small bullpup-accuracy bonus. The reload also sounds jesusly, too. like the Terminator is popping his knuckles or something.

m4a1 / hatchet 1.8.0.3

hatchet / crossbow or m4a1 1.8.1 :-)

Is this some sort of hint that the crossbow will kick ass in the next patch?

probably. I think it might either be getting a damage buff to OHK status or getting better iron sights and range. no clue.

Anyways, I wish you could modify the crossbow bolts. Using the crafting system, create flaming arrows with woodenarrow + matches, or a spiked arrows with woodenarrow + nails. Better yet, an "infection" arrow with woodenarrow + zombie body parts to cause a guaranteed infection. Now THAT would be cool.

If Infection arrows became a thing, I would just run around plugging people with them and watching them suffer :3