Muncywolverine

Give us a melee weapon slot!

A while ago someone mentioned a glitch. A glitch where you could equip a crowbar and a primary weapon at the same time - And switch between the two by pressing F, much like you'd switch to a flare or throw item.

I tried this "glitch" out only to find that it didn't work - i guess it was patched since i saw that guy's post, but it sounds like a great idea.

Give us a quick-switching melee weapon. Something that doesn't require us to drop our gun (or put it in backpack) and take our hatchet/crowbar/machete/whatever off our toolbelt. Being able to switch to a silent, powerful melee weapon like a hatchet at the drop of a hat would be a great addition to the game.

Besides the obvious benefits to PVP and PVE this would bring (One more thing to think about) - Wouldn't it just be cool? Have your rugged survivor with a crowbar chained to his belt, sling his rifle over his shoulder and start beating back the hordes? Or your craft bandit pull out his machete to finish off a victim his just shot to save ammo?

i think it would be a great addition to the mod (And if you can't do it with the mod, put it in SA!)

Edited by Muncywolverine
  • Like 10

I agree, quite sad It'll be never implemented,. even though this feature is completely logical it would make the game easier, and we can clearly tell that the devs don't want to make this game easier at all.

Hello there

I find this to be a poor idea.

I dont mind having a key assigned to switching to ones melee weapon but I would hate to see a "fast" equip.

Avoid the clunkiness off the inventory, fine. But a big no to an insta melee IMHO.

Remember, we only have two hands

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I would love to be able to switch between my Primary rifle and an axe, I hate having to choose as it is.

• Like 1

Agreed. It seems illogical to be able to carry a crowbar or hatchet on your toolbelt but to not be able to switch to it as though it were a tertiary weapon.

I think if you could pull it off your toolbelt (reload it ofcourse) and than use it it would be good as it would take time.

In some ways i kind of like having to go through the clunky inventory, it just makes the game that bit harder.

I hate the WarZ "insta switch from flashlight to m4a1 via the hotbar" system.

No, the lack of easy melee weapon is on purpose. Otherwise the game is too easy and no compromise between anti-player or anti-zombie gear.

When I hunt, I have my rifle (main), my two tomahawks (melee) and my knife (secondary), I can easily run for a long distance if necessary with that and the rest of my equipment (no, I don’t carry any tires or fuel tank).

My knife is attached to my thigh, I can easily carry a pistol instead.

My rifle can be in my hands (no hands free), on my shoulder (one hand free) and on my back (2 hand free).

My two tomahawks are attached to my belt, I can easily carry a machete/crowbar/katana/’name it’ instead.

I can assure you that with a quick and simple move (less than 1-3 sec) my two hands are free and ready to grab my tomahawks while my gun is on my back. I can easily stand up and walk without any issues. Running is something else, I still need 3-4 sec to fix my rifle correctly on my back.

So definitely, I also think that we should be able to use our main, our secondary and a melee weapon ‘a lot more easier that it is right now’.

[edit] And in a very hostile environment (such as a zombies apocalypse), I can also assure you that any of you will do ‘the little move’ 3 time faster or just drop your gun real quick and start your hack and slash. Nothing can explain all the trouble that we have right now to switch to our melee weapon except the limitations of the mod, imo.

Edited by SixGunLover
  • Like 6

When I hunt, I have my rifle (main), my two tomahawks (melee) and my knife (secondary), I can easily run for a long distance if necessary with that and the rest of my equipment (no, I don’t carry any tires or fuel tank).

My knife is attached to my thigh, I can easily carry a pistol instead.

My rifle can be in my hands (no hands free), on my shoulder (one hand free) and on my back (2 hand free).

My two tomahawks are attached to my belt, I can easily carry a machete/crowbar/katana/’name it’ instead.

I can assure you that with a quick and simple move (less than 1-3 sec) my two hands are free and ready to grab my tomahawks while my gun is on my back. I can easily stand up and walk without any issues. Running is something else, I still need 3-4 sec to fix my rifle correctly on my back.

So definitely, I also think that we should be able to use our main, our secondary and a melee weapon ‘a lot more easier that it is right now’.

[edit] And in a very hostile environment (such as a zombies apocalypse), I can also assure you that any of you will do ‘the little move’ 3 time faster or just drop your gun real quick and start your hack and slash. Nothing can explain all the trouble that we have right now to switch to our melee weapon except the limitations of the mod, imo.

This. I think right now it's just the limitations of the mod - I'm assuming the hatchet on your toolbelt counts as an item and when you move it changes to a weapon?

Idk how it works - But the image i had in my head was me having a rifle or w/e with a sling on it. If i get backed into a corner i can quickly swing it over my back and take out my hatchet or knife or sidearm.

I'm not sure what the official name for it is but i've seen "Hatchet Holsters" in real life - It's a leather sleeve attached to your belt. I imagine you'd be able to hold your rifle in one hand temporarily/sling it over your back and hack at a zombie with one hand.

• Like 1

This is the most perfect idea of all ive ever seen in DayZ, this awesome and would help new players also to play the game.There is a topic in this forum about how new players fell inside the game, they keep saying its too fucki* hard and that when they get a gun to kill zeds they shot once and have a horde behind them.I think with my experience of more than a year of game that this option will be very usefull and very succesfull. The Developers should think about that because its pratical in the game. How said our friend SixGunLover its also posible in real life, so, the game wouldnt be fake. I think an idea to this would be an tire or a bandolier that youll find as loot and would equip it to your weapon, like scavenging scopes or silencers, but this subject to other topic.

So, why not?!?

CAIO

• Like 1

Bandolier, to be able to switch to your melee weapon without having to drup your gun and/or put it in your bag is a great idea.

• Like 1

Hello there

I dont mind having a key assigned to switching to ones melee weapon but I would hate to see a "fast" equip.

Avoid the clunkiness off the inventory, fine. But a big no to an insta melee IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

mmhh, fast equip?

Lets see...

Im walking in cherno. OMFG a zombie saw me, and now is running toward his lunch! I have a rifle in my hands but i cant shoot, too much noise. Wait, i have an hachet tucked in my belt. I drop the gun and then i take the hatchet (taking it from the head, and then grabbing the grip).

all of this just pressing a key without opening the inventory

Is not sooooooooo unrealistic...

Edit: what a terrible english :( sorry

Edited by Edoissimo

Agreed. It seems illogical to be able to carry a crowbar or hatchet on your toolbelt but to not be able to switch to it as though it were a tertiary weapon.

It would be sweet if you could use an axe as a secondary. I would hold on to my trusty axe until i found my even trustier M9sd.

• Like 2

It would be sweet if you could use an axe as a secondary. I would hold on to my trusty axe until i found my even trustier M9sd.

Honestly i'd be happy with this too. If we can't have a 3rd slot for melee weapons we should at least be able to put them in our pistol holster, right? Can't you fit a hatchet in a gun holster?

• Like 1

No, the lack of easy melee weapon is on purpose. Otherwise the game is too easy and no compromise between anti-player or anti-zombie gear.

It's not on purpose, it's because of the ArmA II inventory limitations. A third slot for melee, switched to in the same manner as as switching weapons, is both plausible and necessary. Having to drop your weapon on the ground to equip an item that is supposedly on your belt is silly, and you can certainly carry more than two weapons on your person in an easy-to-reach spots. The game doesn't have to be easy, but things that are easy in real life should be easy in the game as well.

DayZ could take a lot of pointers from The Last of Us.

In the standalone, the system is supposed to be driven more towards weight than slots, so hopefully you can carry more than one weapon of a type provided you have adequate materials for doing so.

DayZ could take a lot of pointers from The Last of Us.

Like what? Its' gameplay is almost entirely Hitman style stealth and not very intuitive. The environment and story-telling (Not the story itself, to be particular) were done very well but Chernarus is a completely different environment than the United States and at the moment, there's no official story to DayZ. The games are superbly different.

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

What about a weapon with a strap? One you could just let go that would then hang on you while you grasp the hatchet/knife whatever at your side? It would be relatively fast but not insta switch like warz. I think weapon straps would be a great attachment idea for the SA....

• Like 2

What about a weapon with a strap? One you could just let go that would then hang on you while you grasp the hatchet/knife whatever at your side? It would be relatively fast but not insta switch like warz. I think weapon straps would be a great attachment idea for the SA....

in the E3 build I saw the player put the gun over the should so that their hands could be free. Hopefully in SA, you can switch to a knife or melee weapon while keeping your firearm over your shoulder. it is only logical.

• Like 1

Like what? Its' gameplay is almost entirely Hitman style stealth and not very intuitive. The environment and story-telling (Not the story itself, to be particular) were done very well but Chernarus is a completely different environment than the United States and at the moment, there's no official story to DayZ. The games are superbly different.

I was talking about the inventory system especially with regard to the way melee weapons are handled seeing as though this is a thread about melee.

And since when is the SA inventory based off weight? I'd always read that it's slot based, with weight being considered later down the track.

Edited by Kra

I was talking about the inventory system especially with regard to the way melee weapons are handled seeing as though this is a thread about melee.

And since when is the SA inventory based off weight? I'd always read that it's slot based, with weight being considered later down the track.

I was referring to the planned system

I was referring to the planned system

I would like to read about this planned system, link? (As I have already searched and come up with nothing)

Edited by Kra

I would like to read about this planned system, link? (As I have already searched and come up with nothing)

I'm surprised that you were able to say; I'd always read that it's slot based, with weight being considered later down the track

with weight being considered later down the trac And yet come up with nothing based on what you said and what I was exactly talking about.

God, I can't understand why everyone hates me so much.