Sign in to follow this  
Rustle

Pro tips for a newbie?

Hey all!

This is my first time posting and I'm about to experience my first time playing DayZ after a long, painful wait for a new computer. I've now got ~$2000 to spend on a gaming PC and hopefully it will run all the games I intend to play without a second thought, DayZ being the focus of the entire project. This will all be coming together in about a week so I'd just like to get everything ready for my first time playing! :)

I've been following/watching DayZ videos and updates almost ever since it's initial release. I've watched/read tutorials and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the basic fundamentals of the game. What I am posting here for is too see if anyone here could perhaps give me a few personal pro tips of theirs? Maybe some that wouldn't be shown in the standard tutorials?

This could be anything like what to avoid, what breaks legs, what glitches, where not to go, what not to do, ANYTHING!

All will be appreciated, no matter how silly you may think it is. I am but a mere newbie preparing for my long awaited adventure into this game which I hope to all see you in! (Hopefully not through my sights, though my aim will be as crummy as my cooking skills anyway :P)

• Like 1

Dont go near doors or gates, they are as dangerous as a bandit with a M107, before the update...you know what I mean.

Cities are a very dangerous place, if you need to go in, know where to go, go in, and get out fast.

Dont waste your ammo on zombies, use a hatchet or your sidearm to take them down.

Other than that I would strongly reccomend playing a bit of ArmA II to get used to the controls, weapon physics, movement etc...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok, since I have some time, I am writing some stuff without telling you too many details. DayZ lives from own experiences and telling you how to survive immediately would only lower your impression of a game that is torn apart by people who don't want to be challenged. So here we go:

1. First and MOST IMPORTANT. You watched a lot of videos about DayZ. Treat yourself by finding an official DayZ server that runs standard DayZ. DO NOT join a server that advertises itself with "600+ vehicles 40+ helicopters, spawn with weapon and extra loot".

Those servers are fun if you want a quick rush out of a PvP experience. This is not DayZ however. This is more like Arma 2 with zombies and basic needs (if you actually survive long enough to ever feel hungry/thirsty).

2. When you found a server that runs original, basic DayZ (can't stress that enough), do yourself a favor and do not use any aid online for a while. Such as: opening a map of Chernarus on your laptop or printing out a loot map. This will only minimize your true DayZ experience. This mod lives from its atmosphere which is "You against a world full of shit". The major keeper of DayZ is that as a starter, you are thrown into the cold water, without an idea about where you are, where to go, where to find this and that and what to do in the long run. You gotta find out by yourself where you can find food, drinks, equipment, guns. The frustration of being killed once after gearing up completely decreases with each time of being killed as you have learned where to find stuff and what to avoid next time. Don't let online information decrease that experience by using aids!

3. When playing the game, understand that nobody is your friend until he has proven you otherwise. It's essential (!!!) to have a mic so that you can communicate with other players via direct voice chat. One of the best parts of DayZ is that you don't know what that guy up there at the supermarket is up to. Go to him without being seen. Shoot him if you want his stuff. Or contact him if you want to try negotiating with him or teaming up. If you are skilled in the game (or experienced in Arma 2), use its mechanics to your favor and take control of a situation by aiming at the other player while telling him that you will not shoot him. You might find a great buddy to run along with for some time, that you can rely on and 2 men are worth more than a lonewolfer. However, the guy that you trusted might as well put a bullet into your head the moment you turn his back to him. It's up to you and faith.

4. One tip that many new players don't understand: Zombies are spawned by players. Meaning: If you look from a mountain into a town and you don't see any zombies around (assuming you are far away from the town), is an indicator that no player is inside said town. If there are zombies, a player should be close-by. Use this information for your strategy on approaching. However, be aware that snipers tend to lay down just far enough not to spawn zombies so that you think it's safe.

REMEMBER: THE MOMENT YOU THINK IT'S SAFE, IS THE MOMENT YOU LOW DOWN YOUR AWARENESS. THAT'S USUALLY THE MOMENT YOU WILL SEE THE DEATH SCREEN.

Have fun and again: don't use aids if you want a really good game.

• Like 4

$2000 for a "gaming" computer?

Spend $800 for the computer build and use the other $1,200 on hookers.

• Like 8

Nature is more of a danger than zombies. But players are the biggest risk out there. You can never tell how people will react.

I've had A hero shoot at me (I was also a hero) simply because he got scared.

Most importantly though.

This is Dayz, this is your Story

came in to give some tips but the rest above is what i woulda said. smart guys

Familiarize yourself with the DayZ inventory-system. It can be quite confusing at times. Practice placing loot in your inventory, in your backpack, from your backpack back to the lootpile etc. etc.

You don't want to be 'fumbling' around with your gear in hostile territory.

Know the game, inside and out. Learn the properties of how other people think, remember people are afraid to loose there gear. Apply that to how you play.

1. If you want to survive dont get greedy and retreat out of the big cities early enough to get out alive.

2. A cool weapon is nice, but useless without enough ammo. Just let it be if it is not useful at the moment.

3. Stay patient and dont get hectic when arround Zeds. Keep your time.

4. Try not to mindlessly kill other players. You will lose a lot of the fun player interactions can bring. This is no deathmatch.

5. If you follow a street or a trainline stay in the forest alongside it. Running too much in the open gets you killed.

• Like 2

Dont go near doors or gates, they are as dangerous as a bandit with a M107, before the update...you know what I mean.

It seems I've joined at quite an odd time between a big update haven't I?

Ok, since I have some time, I am writing some stuff without telling you too many details.

Everything you posted was/is much appreciated and I'm glad you mentioned not using aids as I know I probably would have. (Advice from another DayZ player insisted I did.)

$2000 for a "gaming" computer?

Spend $800 for the computer build and use the other $1,200 on hookers.

Haha although you have my beans, you have not persuaded me otherwise. I have gone too long (entire life) without a "proper" gaming computer and don't even want to risk not being able to run a game I want to play.

Nature is more of a danger than zombies. But players are the biggest risk out there. You can never tell how people will react.

Solid experience speaking right there, thanks heaps! :)

Solid experience speaking right there, thanks heaps! :)

If you ever want help, I have a group of 4 who can help with most things

Before you start to play DayZ I suggest you play a game mode called "Wasteland" it will have you learning gun skills and such when you get arma try it out for me and tell me how it goes and for flying help play the boot camp missions and for further practice play a game mode called "Domination"

If you ever want help, I have a group of 4 who can help with most things

Thanks! May hold you up on that :P

Before you start to play DayZ I suggest you play a game mode called "Wasteland" it will have you learning gun skills and such when you get arma try it out for me and tell me how it goes and for flying help play the boot camp missions and for further practice play a game mode called "Domination"

Sounds perfect for me aha!

Where exactly would I find these game modes? Are they inbuilt into arma?

You got a lot of good tips here. I'll just add mine. Not a "pro," but I manage.

Arma II has a "Basic Training" mode. I did that, and it surely helps some.

I started Dayz on a server with "regular" difficulty, with something like "Noobs learn to play" in its description.

It was active, with 40-50 players. I had no plan.

Teamed up with a guy who had an axe within a few minutes, then he was shot dead a couple minutes later, and me after another minute. I guess some call that "Noobs learn to play."

Didn't seem like too much fun, so I went back onto the same server when it had about 10 players and started gathering gear without much issue. Also looked at a map first and paid attention to where I got spawned.

Watch right bottom corner, and know it only stays there a few seconds.

Anyway, using a map is your call, and depends on how much pain tolerance you have. Server selection and players on the server is something you will consider.

As you said, 1.7.7 is here. I've only played it with a partner on my own server. It's a struggle to stay alive with no PvP. I wonder how that is playing out on public servers, but don't know. That's another element under your control. Selecting a server playing the old or new version.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Make sure to know how the backpack system works! Otherwise you will lose several guns!

ALWAYS grab a hatchet when you see one. They are a great way for protection,hunting and copping

Always aim for the head rather its a zombie or a player- It will increase your accuracy and kill rate

Be very patient. Patience is what will get you the loot, the kill, etc. Also be vigilant of EVERYTHING. Whether you're scanning a tree line for movement or looking for zombies in the distance(which indicates a player is in that area). Before you do anything, you should loot general stores(there's one in Chernorosk and Zelenogorsk) and get plenty of food and water, Make sure you get the nicest backpack you can find, and use the backpack system to be prepared for anything(e.g. Sniper in hands for long range, M4A1 CCO SD in your backpack for close range, and at least 3 sets each of water and food). Run around on your own at first to get good, then look for a squad. Lastly, learn your mistakes on each death.