OfficerRaymond

What do you like/dislike so far when it comes to SA?

Good

The interiors look good.

Bad

The animations are terrible.

The zombies are still hitting you when there not even close to you.

zombies bugging through walls

possibly no vehicles at launch

crosshair on screen??? please remove that shit or give admins the ability to remove it.

Agree with most of the OP. Animations! jezus christ. Dean said they used a new skeleton because the old one was nearly 8 years old. Well then I expected to see an improvement instead of a step backwards. To me it looks just like the old way of animating instead just different ones. Very disproportionate falling animations when he got knocked over by the zombies. Transitions between animations is just instant which makes it seem jerky. Another thing that makes movement feel jerky is the acceleration from standing still. If you press forward your character will instantly move with the normal walking speed. It should be so that when you press forward to walk your character will start accelerating towards that walking speed. The way it is now makes moving indoors very jerky.

Other than that indoors looks very nice.

Dean also mentioned a polygon budget, is the engine limited in the amount of polygons used or is it just from a performance perspective?

Edited by Felixthefriendlycat

- No HUD??? Devs please, don't listen to those yelling a no-hud is more realistic. IT IS NOT. In real life we have 5 senses, ingame we have only 1 and a half (one for audio, half for view), a HUD is a must. I need to know if im hurt and where, or how many mags I have left (not for bullets inside the mag though)

Indeed. I was already wondering about how it would be possible to notice lack of food or water without a hud when they announced to remove the hud. But when Matt said that they would give the feedback in TEXT FORM (see 3:50 in the video) I facepalmed. I imagine a text appearing on the screen saying 'you are hungry' or, even worse: 'I should eat something'. The hud was a good solution, you should keep it.

-A key to collect the items when some seen instead of having to use mouse-wheel for it as well.

You have my beans.

Civilians are dead, civilians are zeds. If the average civilan can survive this then no apocalypse would take place. The superior civilan and the trained military are the ones capable of survive this, or to try, at least.

And even if civilians could survive, I repeat the same. There's no reason to force all of us to play like a retard. Put realistic ballistics ingame, put weapongs jaming with missuses (you can't just spray a machinegun non-stop like if this was Call of Duty) and whatever you wanna put ingame that IS controlled by the player. But what is not, don't force us to play as a retard. Is all I'm asking.

Same with fatigue. You ain't able to run for 5 minutes? well, I am, for 5, for 30, and for 120. So don't force me to play with a fat piggy desk-attached just because it's the average. Average are dead.

The main thing that makes you better than the average civilian is that you are immune. Why do you think there are military zombies? When they were soldiers, they were probably better then you. But now they are dead or zombies, because they weren't immune.

Other than that, I think the animations should be made more civilian-like. It doesn't have to affect gameplay but just show wether the survivor is new or has been handling guns for a long time in his life. Still, just the animations, nothing that should affect your actual aim.

Damn, well, that escalated quickly....

Warning: TL;DR Content. If you dislike reading, then turn away now!

If you have to ask me, I'm pumped as all hell. Standalone is gonna kidnap me (at least I hope it does).

But to be honest, like some have said, I think we might hit a few disappointments with it. The build-up has been so great, and we all have been expecting this uber-mega game that was going to be like DayZ Mod. I don't think that is gonna be the case. It isn't going to do anything perfect for awhile, but the great thing about it is that it doesn't to to just do a few things perfect, it just does a ton of things. Open world MMO, FPS/TPS, Zombie Survival game? PFFT, AMAZING! And that isn't even mentioning the inventory system, combining things, teamwork, there is an endless list of things the game will offer us.

But being a member of the community for the past 8+ months, loyal, never faltering or saying a bad word about the game... and then seeing this (random video that shows anims):

Go to this:

Well, it's a tad disappointing for a loyal member of the community see things like this. Some people may like it. Keep in mind, I'M NOT TRYING TO KNOCK THE STANDALONE. The last thing I want to do is hurt this community and do it an injustice, like some stupid fuckwits have done in the past. The game is in Alpha, and I'm sure Dean isn't going to abandon his baby from the get go, we have tons of guaranteed content coming for the next few years.

I will be playing the shit out of SA, and I hope everyone else does too (bar the fucktards that are gonna try to skiddie it up). I'm proud to play DayZ and consider myself end-game :P (every single map, played as both hero and bandit, killed over 10,000 zombies, killed over 1,000 people and have helped just as many in different ways, and run one of the most popular servers around). Not to toot my own horn or anything. :D

What we should ALL be grateful for is that we are part of a community where devs actually listen to what we have to say. Any one person has the chance to make an impact on the game, and many already have. When and if the dev team does read this thread, I hope they take every critisism here to heart. I personally mean no disrespect to any of them, and I'm sure nobody else does. We just wanna see DayZ earn what it rightfully deserves, not only game of the year, but best game of all time.

Edited by OfficerRaymond

From what can be seen so far

Pro's

Enterable buildings

Varied loot ... as long as it serves a purpose rather than tons of pickup trash

Variable clothing with inventory space - as long as it isn't over emphasised ... and that t-shirt ends up with no slots

Jumping - as long as it doesn't lead to bunny hopping and maybe "step over" stays in as an option

Mentioned civilian weapon emphasis - it would be good to see more melee weapons and effective melee combat as well

Mentioned customisable vehicles - siphoning fuel and looting parts would be good to see, as they work in the mod.

Variety of infected and range of attacks - as long as they're improved quality wise

Con's

Infected seem to need a lot of work for a core part of the game ... their mod cousins seem better animated and behaved

Infected hitting players from several metres away and when not even facing them ... are they using bastardised invisible guns to attack players?

Infected glitching through buildings? - did I see that?

Apparent inconsistency in loot size for some items - are they reflecting weight and/or importance by inventory size of items?

Illogical loot capacity for clothing - six items in a t-shirt? I presume (and hope) it is a place holder for something with pockets like a jacket.

Gear menu - needs some work by the looks of it, nobody wants to spend ages fumbling to pick up items and get beaten to death in the process.

I'm looking forward to the SA, but the bar has been set by the mod and nobody will want to see features that aren't as good.

Illogical loot capacity for clothing - six items in a t-shirt? I presume (and hope) it is a place holder for something with pockets like a jacket.

Yes it is as also said in the interview at E3.