Sign in to follow this  
Death_Dealer

Rarer food and fuel

Standalone Suggestion

Right now in DayZ, fuel is unlimited and food is literally everywhere.

Realistically both these resources would be pretty rare in an apocalypse scenario.

Here is the original topic for rarer fuel - http://dayzmod.com/f...ted-fuel-tanks/

As for food, there should be limited amounts found in supermarkets. Most of it should be hidden in crevices and shelving, forcing players to actually take there time looting for food.

IMO fuel and food should be rare to the point where it is traded for other valuables, such as weapons and ammunition.

Edited by Death Dealer

I think food should be as abundant as it is now, but hard to find like you said. As for fuel, well, I'd love it vehicles were more common but fuel wasn't.

• Like 2

I couldnt agree more OP, in a real apocalypse, food would be the rarest and most valuable resource, supermarkets would not be stocked to the roof with canned goods. As i always say (maybe i should make it my sig i have said it so much); make the hatchet, knife and matches the most valuable loot in the game. if you have to hunt for your food instead of picking up canned goods everywhere you turn, surely that cant be a bad thing. i really dont know why the amount of food and soda has not been turned down for the next patch...

If you want Rare food, Play 2017, x.x

This is a suggestion for the standalone, not the mod.

edit: never mentioned that in the post, fix'd.

Edited by Death Dealer

i think its valid even for the mod. why should food be so abundant? for something that tries to strive for realism, doesn't seem too realistic to me.

My opinion only of course.

• Like 1

I suppose it'd be good for both the mod and standalone.

be cool to see roads and stuff stacked with cars but all of them not in working order. i love the idea of making fuel a precious resource.

far as food and water goes making it more hard to find would be great.

add another survival aspect in the game.

like in the mod i got to the store get 2 foods and 2 waters and 100% of the time its there, and i'm good for the night.

would be cool if it took like a average of 30 mins of looting houses and stuff just to get food and water.

stocking up and saving supplies would be more crucial.

this is would i think the roads should look like! http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/846949307693180934/C0E4CCE244240446F62AF6891862E0C20B9D1DC0/

• Like 1

be cool to see roads and stuff stacked with cars but all of them not in working order. i love the idea of making fuel a precious resource.

far as food and water goes making it more hard to find would be great.

add another survival aspect in the game.

like in the mod i got to the store get 2 foods and 2 waters and 100% of the time its there, and i'm good for the night.

would be cool if it took like a average of 30 mins of looting houses and stuff just to get food and water.

stocking up and saving supplies would be more crucial.

this is would i think the roads should look like! http://cloud-2.steam...62E0C20B9D1DC0/

i agree with everything you said. have my beans good sir...

I just got an idea.

It involves having a lot of vehicles, and I think realistically a lot of them would probably be in working order.

So let's say all the gas tanks and stations are empty, because where are people trying to evacuate going to flock to? They need gas to get out of there. And everyone would be trying to evacuate, I'd think. So, not only do you have empty (or maybe a couple jerry cans worth of fuel if you're lucky) gas stations, but also roads leading out of cities that are packed with cars. Traffic jams, people leaving their cars and never returning. Think of the cities and highways in The Walking Dead. So, how do you get your gas? You have to siphon it from other cars, but only a small fraction of these cars have gas in them, so it would take a long time to get enough gas for anything, and would add some pretty neat atmosphere.

Not sure if something like this would work out, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

I just got an idea.

It involves having a lot of vehicles, and I think realistically a lot of them would probably be in working order.

So let's say all the gas tanks and stations are empty, because where are people trying to evacuate going to flock to? They need gas to get out of there. And everyone would be trying to evacuate, I'd think. So, not only do you have empty (or maybe a couple jerry cans worth of fuel if you're lucky) gas stations, but also roads leading out of cities that are packed with cars. Traffic jams, people leaving their cars and never returning. Think of the cities and highways in The Walking Dead. So, how do you get your gas? You have to siphon it from other cars, but only a small fraction of these cars have gas in them, so it would take a long time to get enough gas for anything, and would add some pretty neat atmosphere.

Not sure if something like this would work out, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

yes, siphoning gas should be thing!

have sorta formula with all the cars.

for instance 6/10 cars have no fuel

5/10 cars are missing a wheel or have a flat.

8/10 have body problems. (broken glass, mess up fenders, ect.)

and so on.

basically making it a 1/10 chance of finding a working car.

so its almost like a puzzle finding decent car and scavenging around to get it up and running.

Edited by methr1k2dop3

you should be able to farm food in dayz will start my own topic. but you could find seeds at the general store or a hardware store and then get tools and start a farm at your base maybe use crafting system to make stuff such as tools and fenceing

you should be able to farm food in dayz will start my own topic. but you could find seeds at the general store or a hardware store and then get tools and start a farm at your base maybe use crafting system to make stuff such as tools and fenceing

hmmm interesting but how long would it take to farm something...

maybe have fruit trees around that can possibly yield foodstuffs.

or maybe be able to loot those pumpkin patches i see around cherno.

Rare food and fuel/jerrycans, but commonplace broken to all fuck vehicles? You've got my attention, Tell you what. It's too damn easy to just "survive" and make it by right now, you can stockpile way too damn easy. The only reason to be a bandit is to be a dick right now, Not to get their supplies after your victim has finished a nice town raid. Also, Only one in three jerrycans should be full of fuel, because holy damn, come on man, who just leaves a full can laying around in this trash littered apocalypse.

yeah it annoys me to be starving to death in a pumpkin patch and maybe about a week for food from fruit trees and you can get herbs and some wild nuts and berries and mushrooms and eat them but they might be poisonous