Umber Skies

My percieved 1.7.1.4 issues

Zombies having super vision:

Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but this is a bit ridiculous. That said, the detection levels of 1.6 were far to easy. Personally, i liked the detection levels of 1.7.1.2. Not too hard, but not a cake walk. as long as you took your time you could watch their movements, know where they were going, and sneak around them, ala Deus Ex. It was very nice.

Server lag:

This one seems to be a by-product of the super zombies. it's fine as long as there are only a couple of zombies aggro'd. But if you get into a city all sneaky like, and then happen to aggro one zombie you are forced to run. And with the current detection this means aggroing EVERY zombie in the city, causing immense lag.

Too fast zombies:

This is a big issue (too me) with the game. I would not mind the zombies detection as they are, if they moved at more reasonable levels. But having zombies that see you at 100m crouched and move with the speed of the Avro Arrow? That's unreasonable. For balances sake, i think you have to choose either really fast zombies or really smart zombies. Either way, i think that the zombies should not be able to move faster then a survivor, especially considering that they are rotting. I can accept the same speed as us, but not faster.

Jerky zombies:

Easily the biggest problem (other then people who kill on sight) in the game right now, is the spastic movements of the zombies. It makes targeting them on the run nearly impossible, resulting in them usually getting close enough to hit us, usually causing bleeding and or broken bones. If nothing else, please fix this!!!

My opinion of the game as it stands. I know there will be people coming on and calling me a CoD kiddy, or whatever term they choose, but I don't care. As long as Rocket sees this I will be happy.

Can anyone comment on whether the spastic zombie movement will ever be fixed? I asked earlier if this is ingrained in the Arma 2 engine and have not heard anything.

It's not even about them being hard to hit, more about how stupid it looks.

No idea, as I posted in a previous comment, I believe all of us have wasted at least a few rounds with the "death lag animation" where you will successfully kill a zombie, but they appear "alive" for at least a second before falling to the ground in the Michael Jackson Thriller-style animation.

Arma 2 has no melee combat system built into it, the herky-jerky nature of the zombies comes from their pathing being all jacked up when they try to move in for a "melee" strike. The erratic movement won't likely be fixed until a solid melee system is integrated into the Arma code.

Although there may be a remedy on the horizon considering that Team Rocket has decided to allow players to get in on the melee action too. Making melee combat more of a central method of combat can only assure it will get the deserved attention it needs.

Time will tell!

Arma 2 has no melee combat system built into it' date=' the herky-jerky nature of the zombies comes from their pathing being all jacked up when they try to move in for a "melee" strike. The erratic movement won't likely be fixed until a solid melee system is integrated into the Arma code.

Although there may be a remedy on the horizon considering that Team Rocket has decided to allow players to get in on the melee action too. Making melee combat more of a central method of combat can only assure it will get the deserved attention it needs.

Time will tell!

[/quote']

Nice post. :)

Arma 2 has no melee combat system built into it' date=' the herky-jerky nature of the zombies comes from their pathing being all jacked up when they try to move in for a "melee" strike. The erratic movement won't likely be fixed until a solid melee system is integrated into the Arma code.

[/quote']

About this, What exactly is the relationship between BI and Rocket? As any "mod" would only ever have access to engines scripting interface (I.e. Only calls / functionality that they want to expose), and not any actual code. Unless rocket is laying out the hundreds of thousands of dollars that a source access version of the engine would cost for development.

So as the engine itself is not prepared for meelee, the horrible way in script would simply be checking if anything is in front, checking range between them and dodgying up a set of damage values for each weapon type.

But that wouldn't account for exactly where on the player / zombie a meelee hit connects?

So other options? Maybe to either use low poly wrapped collision data pre-computed at the art package level to test against (I've never used BI's art tools so i don't know what it can do) or intersect bounding volumes at runtime on each meelee swing and find a set of sub meshes intersected and then do tri-intersections on those to find which body area to damage. Which is going to be slow, and cause even more jerkiness, unless they were done as async tasks but then there would be more delay between the action and the result, which is already a problem because the engine does that too much already.

Maybe a lot of this stuff is encapsulated very generically, maybe he can just inject "hits" regardless if they are from a projectile or not, in which case ignore everything I just said.

I like a challenge, but I'd prefer:

Fix zombie attack range:

They're able to hit you through walls again, and can hit you from a good 4-5 metres away

Fix sight:

How it was in the previous few subpatches was great, I would much prefer that their detection was reattached to their eyes/head and their detection "rate" decreased again. I'd much rather staying hidden be realistically difficult due to zombies moving their heads around a lot, rather than the current broken/overpowered detection power that seems so high that zombies can often detect you through buildings.