Cap'n (DayZ)

Disagreement between a friend

Just the other day, me and a buddy were watching DayZ tube videos. I then passively mention "...isn't this such a nice looking game?". He gives me this shrewd look like I just had unprotected sex with his mother and says that this is an "awful looking game". He even says it looks like Skyrim on the console. I hold back my fanboyish rage, with nothing but blood on my mind. I then come back at him; "Well, you only think that because you play on Low settings". He gets offended and defends that he does it for better frames, and I stop the video we were watching. After looking for a decent video(most tubers play on such low settings), I find a decent benchmark video. Then he says CALL OF DUTY LOOKS BETTER. At that point, my blood is boiling and I unleash full rage. We didn't talk for a while, and he still insists that this is a bad looking game. So, I come here to ask if you think that ArmA 2(DayZ) is a graphically attractive game. Oh, and do you have a decent computer and play on low settings. If so, why? Are you a fps zealot? Are you clueless at updating video drivers? Or do graphics even matter to you?

• Like 4

Why is your friend not dead yet?

Speaking of which, give me a moment to sharpen my bone saw.

• Like 2

I imagine your face looking like your avatars when he said "awful looking game". ArmA II sure does look good. It's like a better version of Tom Clancy's better looking games, with less limitations.

It's not the prettiest game in my opinion. I agree that, from a certain standpoint, it's not better than COD, but it makes up for it with scale.

I think the game looks just fine.

As I have said before. it could look like fucking Half Life 1 graphics and it would STILL be fun.

Punch your friend for me. Anywhere surprise me. lol

It's not the prettiest game in my opinion. I agree that, from a certain standpoint, it's not better than COD, but it makes up for it with scale.

My grade 3 family portrait drawings looked better than CoD.

• Like 1

COD doesn't have AA, PP, or detailed textures now does it? A2 hasn't reused that same engine with only minor tweaks in lighting and constantly porting models one game to the next, every year.

But to answer your question, with BAF, PMC, 1080p, and everything on High/Veryhigh, it actually looks quite nice.

I imagine your face looking like your avatars when he said "awful looking game". ArmA II sure does look good. It's like a better version of Tom Clancy's better looking games, with less limitations.

Sad thing is, even people with the best pc's play on such low settings. It saddens and angers me.

But to answer your question, with BAF, PMC, 1080p, and everything on High/Veryhigh, it actually looks quite nice.

I bought the ArmA 2 CO bundle, so I got all the DLCS free(bar ACR, bought it off the side). The textures shure do look Purdy. So detailed. Well, I'll admit, the arm and hand models are blockier than World at War. But from the standalone gameplay, they seem to have fixed that problem.

• Like 1

CoD graphics are more "shiny", some people think that means "better", yet ARMA 2 is set to max realism, which is why the game may look "ugly" to some people

i find arma 2s graphics very good when at high settings, yet because of my PC i need to play on low to very low

your friend and you should agree on that arma 2 has a completely different focus then CoD, also CoD can't handle maps bigger than a 20th of the smallest arma 2 maps

• Like 1

Arma2 is a pretty good looking game, even more if you turn postproccesing on, if uou play on low settings and you have a 800+ dollar computer, then you have some pretty fu**** up logic.

Just walk up to him, and punch him right in his motherfucking face. Just do it, no regrets. #YOLO

Arma2 is a pretty good looking game, even more if you turn postproccesing on, if uou play on low settings and you have a 800+ dollar computer, then you have some pretty fu**** up logic.

I've tried to stress that to people, but there are still a lot out there that don't care. I have a mid range PC, yet I play relatively well on highest settings(35-40 on 1366x768, 45-55 at 1280x720).

Just walk up to him, and punch him right in his motherfucking face. Just do it, no regrets. #YOLO

this, and ten say fuck off, go play cod on low settings, oh wait, the high settings are low.

Double post sorry. :/

Edited by Henryllex~

IMHO Arma 2 looks great for a 2009 game.

I'm betting with the lighting improvements(Dean mentioned that they borrowed the majority of the lighting assets from A3 engine), and higher quality character textures and models that the standalone will look much better than the mod. Probably run better, too.

Arma2 has a very earthy, realistic look to it - much like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Suits me fine. Then again, I remember when 1024x768 was the most awesome resolution, and 16mb Voodoo video cards were the stuff of legends. I've never played the newer COD games, so I can't comment on that.

• Like 1

I thought it was a disgusting game, then i descovered 3d resolution setting and by god it looks sexy, especially since it's not a coridor game

Just the other day, me and a buddy were watching DayZ tube videos. I then passively mention "...isn't this such a nice looking game?". He gives me this shrewd look like I just had unprotected sex with his mother and says that this is an "awful looking game". He even says it looks like Skyrim on the console. I hold back my fanboyish rage, with nothing but blood on my mind. I then come back at him; "Well, you only think that because you play on Low settings". He gets offended and defends that he does it for better frames, and I stop the video we were watching. After looking for a decent video(most tubers play on such low settings), I find a decent benchmark video. Then he says CALL OF DUTY LOOKS BETTER. At that point, my blood is boiling and I unleash full rage. We didn't talk for a while, and he still insists that this is a bad looking game. So, I come here to ask if you think that ArmA 2(DayZ) is a graphically attractive game. Oh, and do you have a decent computer and play on low settings. If so, why? Are you a fps zealot? Are you clueless at updating video drivers? Or do graphics even matter to you?

The thing that makes arma 2 looks "bad" compared to other shooters is that its fidelity is completely even across the every inch of the map and characters. Many other AAA titles will make the things that are up in your face look really good and forget about the rest to get the same performance. This gives those AAA titles an instant WOW! effect but the longer you play them the more you start seeing the flaws. For me arma 2 was the complete opposite. At first it looked terrible to me, add on top of that the horrific performance and I was deeply unimpressed. But I liked the mod and the more I played it the more I became immersed in Chernarus. One simple thing that began to struck me was the polygon count, no other game has so many polygons in a single tree. Also textures are definetely higher res than some of bf3's max settings ones. I guess this will be one of the things that will make dayz a hard sell. You really have to experience it much longer to start seeing just how gorgeous it is.

• Like 1

I'm betting with the lighting improvements(Dean mentioned that they borrowed the majority of the lighting assets from A3 engine), and higher quality character textures and models that the standalone will look much better than the mod. Probably run better, too.

Meh don't get too excited for that, from what I have seen they only used some shaders used in arma 3. The lighting system still looks a lot like the one from the original TOH. Better textures for the ground will definately add a lot, as for houses and objects I am not sure whether those will be updated.

edit: ofcourse they will be updated. I mean getting a boost in resolution

Edited by Felixthefriendlycat