Sign in to follow this  
freeman83

Ventalation Shafts

Here's a simple suggestion for SA...

Include ventilation shafts/air conditioning ducts big enough to crawl in, in buildings where they are justifiable and not out of place (hotel). This will allow us the possibility to sneak, evade, ambush inside buildings. The Metal Gear series has a lot that would fit perfectly into dayz in my opinion. Being able to hide inside cuboards, under beds etc would be amazing features in dayz sa aswell.

p.s My idea was also probably influenced by the first Die hard Movie as well as Aliens =)

Edited by freeman83
  • Like 1

I agree with it as long as it isn't set out like a shitty spy movie. They would have to be in appropriate places and should only go where ventilation ducts need to, they shouldn't be set out with people walking through them in mind.

Would probably just break your neck in them and die if climbing over rocks is anything to go by......

For the most part, these ventilation shafts are not strong enough to hold a person without crumbling. In addition, I don't think u will find many such instalations in eastern Europe. To be able to use closets etc to hide is quite interesting though. Plus, it would be cool if zs can reach through windows to grab u, (as opposed to attacking u through walls).

I dunno. I get a bit fed up of seeing them in almost every game.

I wouldn't mind crawl shafts, as long as they are appropriately placed. I always suggested the addition of being able to hide on cupboards, under beds, etc.

Edited by I.Ash

So I'll get to live out my fantasy being Adam Jensen in a Zombie apocalypse proceeding to roll around stealthily taking out anything that moves and crawling through vents to sneak up behind people? Hurray!

(On a Serious note) It'd get annoying fast some guy sits in a vent and just waits for guys to come around then massacres them or you hear a chopper and see a bunch of people die only for some guy who HALO jumped in to massacre your heavily defended building this isnt some 1990's spy film like mission impossible in reality an air vent has barely enough space for your average three year old at largest and even then they are crawling "Commando" Style I think making them a viable Hiding spot sure but anything else would be pointless (dead drops and stuff would be their only use) and if we use them for hiding stuff why not hollowed out logs? Random Dead Drops of guns and ammo incase your in a pinch scattered around the world

I think its an awesome idea and considering everything I've read from everyone elses point of view i think that It should more so be a feature that you wouldn't see that much in game but maybe say 2 or 3 of the largest buildings on the map have them, this can be random however and wont be on the same buildings all the time, more so people might not notice or recognize and to keep it a more discreet and subtle feature.

the latest games in the red orchestra franchise has an awesome in game spawn mechanic where the static placed machine guns are never in the same spots each time a map replays in the cycle. Obviously the vent idea sounds somewhat more demanding than this but I more say explain it as a reference feature that already has an awesome effect on a different game

As long as there's a high chance of the shaft suddenly collapsing and dropping you loudly onto the floor.