Sign in to follow this  
sean484848

How do I play Dayz? Buy ARMA II : Combined Operations?

Not really sure how it works, why would I need both? It also suggest the ultimate package for better textures or something... That's garbage right?

The mod was made with CO (ArmA 2, Operation Arrowhead, BAF(lite) and PMC(lite)), so you need it to play. The survivor skins are technicians and medics from the Private Military Company DLC. Some of the zombie skins have clothes from BAF, and most of the vehicles are from OA and PMC. So without combined ops, you'd have none of those things - meaning you'd have no DayZ.

Edited by mullraugh

Not really sure how it works, why would I need both? It also suggest the ultimate package for better textures or something... That's garbage right?

You need Arma 2 (or Arma 2 free) and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead in order to play DayZ. The complete pack comes with the DLC, which gives DayZ characters high-res skins (otherwise, the skins are low-res because you only have the lite version of the DLC).

Once you get Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, you install the DayZ mod with DayZ Commander.

If you want to save every penny, you can get Arma2 Lite, then get Operation Arrowhead. You'll get low-res textures on a lot of things, making the game look crappier than it should, but it's a couple bucks that stay in your pocket.

For my part, after playing DayZ for a while, I really fell in love with Arma2 and went ahead and bought all the DLC. DayZ textures get a boost, plus you get a lot of content that DayZ doesn't use, but is entirely fun. Campaigns are a little weak, but the other online game types are just lovely, and definitely worth looking into. Also, many other mods, some of which can be installed from the SixLauncher without any file shuffling, are fun to play.

Easiest way is to purchase Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead on Steam. Then install DayZ Commander (a free program). From there, all you do is start DayZ commander and under the Install/Update tab, select the mods you wish to install. You'll want to download the latest version of DayZ and the Arma2 Beta. Then later if you like DayZ you can purchase PMC and BAF to get the higher res textures. All in all a very worthwhile deal.

Edited by Saethkept
  • Like 1