robersdee

Seriously what happened Rocket?

yeah, I can't play with this new zombie aggro'ing. Starting without a gun was perfectly fine with the old sound/vision meters that let you crouch-walk away and lose them, but now if you start out and aggro a zombie, you will never lose it.

Rocket' date=' listen to me. Man up, and admit you made a mistake. Rollback to 1.7.0 which was just fine. Maybe there is something salvageable from 1.7.1 but we'll never know if we keep going forward from here. Rollback and just change one or two things at a time, and if then if the game gets broken, you'll have a much better idea of what it is. I feel like maybe you went for a home run with this last set of patches but you ended up striking out.

And give noobs their starting pistol back. I had been in teamspeak all day with new guys who were just so excited about playing the game only to get aggroed by a zombie and just hearing the deflation in their voices it was so demoralizing. Like they had been neutered. I will never recommend to someone they start playing this game, a shooter game, if that is going to be their first experience, i just won't.

[/quote']

Rolling back is pointless. In an Alpha you make changes, listen to feedack, identify bugs and then move forward. Since you're a tester and our only role at this stage to assist in testing the Alpha rolling back serves no purpose except to appease those who only really care about their own personal gameplay. Even if a previous version worked better and is more preferable to some, maybe even many.. there's no reason to roll back. If Rocket decides to go back to a previous set of variables or functionality I'm sure he's more then capable of doing so without reverting completely. Also he should not make changes due to people simply being unhappy. It's alpha... keep testing and reporting bugs, providing feedback and enjoy the ride. Could be worse.. could totally not involve the community if they wanted..

yeah' date=' I can't play with this new zombie aggro'ing. Starting without a gun was perfectly fine with the old sound/vision meters that let you crouch-walk away and lose them, but now if you start out and aggro a zombie, you will never lose it.

[/quote']

That sounds far from not being able to play at all. Not to mention in your role as a tester, these are lots of good suggestions and bugs you should be reporting.

Like they had been neutered. I will never recommend to someone they start playing this game' date=' a shooter game, if that is going to be their first experience, i just won't.

[/quote']

Look i help you rephrase that.. "I'll recommend this game to everyone I know because it has the potential to be so fuckingly awesome, but I'll tell them there are bugs and bullshit ideas and assholes who shoot on sight but damn brah.. It's so fundamentally awesome"

What you basically said is "fuck you, Make it the way I want it or I'm Not gunna! No fair"

That is a threat, and unbecoming of such a fine strapping chap of your stature.

Glad I could help mate.

The game was spell-binding a couple weeks ago. The recent changes have done something wrong to the game. I don't know what it is. I just know it is less fun than it once was.

I've come across this a couple of times now, what you call it, social media blackmail?

"Hey buddy if you don't drop everything you're currently working on and address my issues first, I'm going to tell all my followers on twitter(Dave and Randolph) not to ever never buy this game ever!"

most don't even know what an alpha is nor what is considered playable in an alpha, usually not much.

yes this is in alpha state so massive changes are in effect and should be encouraged to develop important mechanics for more solid releases.

Release big, record data, learn, develop.

This is how a beta is formed by trial and error, but generally done by a Alpha team of testers not a 200,000 person public test which I would discourage for alpha testing but hey it seems to have gotten plenty of support from the fan base.

just lots of idiot naysayers who don't even know what an Alpha or a closed beta really is.

this is an alpha level of game/mod it really is, so go cry more.

I.e expect big changes, expect stuff to break, etc.

If Rocket did care though he could establish more of a Alpha testing community, and establish a more stable patch, say like 1.7.0, and let the alpha community deal with all the hotfixes and all the bumps till the next stable patch is implemented, much like how closed beta's operate.

That sounds far from not being able to play at all. Not to mention in your role as a tester' date=' these are lots of good suggestions and bugs you should be reporting.

[/quote']

the vision/sound meter and zombie aggro-ing problems already have tickets submitted.

also when I'm unable to enter any towns at all without crawling prone through the whole place, I'd count the game as unplayable

The recent patches have been kind of slapdash, but otherwise Rocket seems like a reasonable and intelligent person. He has been and probably still is addressing just about all the concerns you people have mentioned so just chill for a bit and things should work out fine.

Rolling back is pointless. In an Alpha you make changes' date=' listen to feedack, identify bugs and then move forward. Since you're a tester and our only role at this stage to assist in testing the Alpha rolling back serves no purpose except to appease those who only really care about their own personal gameplay. Even if a previous version worked better and is more preferable to some, maybe even many.. there's no reason to roll back. If Rocket decides to go back to a previous set of variables or functionality I'm sure he's more then capable of doing so without reverting completely. Also he should not make changes due to people simply being unhappy. It's alpha... keep testing and reporting bugs, providing feedback and enjoy the ride. Could be worse.. could totally not involve the community if they wanted..[/quote']

Rolling back is not pointless. You go back to what works. Then you make a change, you change one variable, and if it works, great, if it doesn't back to the drawing board. What are you trying to tell me that there is something wrong with the scientific method?

Look i help you rephrase that.. "I'll recommend this game to everyone I know because it has the potential to be so fuckingly awesome' date=' but I'll tell them there are bugs and bullshit ideas and assholes who shoot on sight but damn brah.. It's so fundamentally awesome"

What you basically said is "fuck you, Make it the way I want it or I'm Not gunna! No fair"

That is a threat, and unbecoming of such a fine strapping chap of your stature.

Glad I could help mate.

[/quote']

Well, I am one of those assholes that shoots on sight. In fact, I actively hunt and stalk other players, for no other reason than because it is fun. But, I also enjoy helping new people, because when everyone starts to 'figure it out' it will make it a lot more fun for everyone. But they just play the loading screen gauntlet and finally get into a game and get excited about playing and instantly aggro a zombie and then it's over. And for the record I have not had to respawn since the patch this is just coming from talking and helping with people in teamspeak who were new. they still enjoyed the game but i kept telling them how much better it was before 1.7.1

That sounds far from not being able to play at all. Not to mention in your role as a tester' date=' these are lots of good suggestions and bugs you should be reporting.

[/quote']

the vision/sound meter and zombie aggro-ing problems already have tickets submitted.

also when I'm unable to enter any towns at all without crawling prone through the whole place, I'd count the game as unplayable

If you could not enter towns even while prone, that would be unplayable. As it is it's playable but shittingly brutally off balance. But it's playable. If its not your idea of time well spent helping to make the game what it shall eventually become, then that's fair. In the meantime ill crawl for 10 minutes to your corpse to take your gear, while making chocolate soup in my pants because it's just fucking terrifying.

I very much agree that 1.6 was a lot of fun, zombi- errrr 'infected' were a threat but no where near as much as players.

Infected are just to strong now,they turn the game into a shambles.

You do realise that progress is based on Trial and Error. Nothing has ever been achieved straight away.

Some things will work, some things wont, but what we cant do is rollback to 1.6 or some other old build and think all is hunky dory. There were issues back then and some were fixed, some were gotten rid of and new features have been added.

What happens to bands who play the same music every album. They are panned for doing the same stuff. The truly great bands (IMO) are those that have evolved, experimented and taken chances. If the experiment had ended at 1.6 i wouldnt be playing it now.

I have high hopes for this "game" and hopefully there is still a long way to go before development ends and the true bug fixing occurs. C'mon surely everyone is hanging for new features - why else are you here?

Have a lie down and a cup of tea old chap - it'll be alright in the end.

i liked when the axe was added as a tool and the new feature was added to make a fireplace.

i did not like when a ton of new 'features' were added, too many to keep track of, and the game was completely broken forever and for all time.

i liked when the axe was added as a tool and the new feature was added to make a fireplace.

i did not like when a ton of new 'features' were added' date=' too many to keep track of, and the game was completely broken forever and for all time.

[/quote']

Relax.. The mysterious art of computer programming magically allows for certain sections of code to be changed even after they have been summoned from the world of the nether. It's complicated I know just relax.

i did not like when a ton of new 'features' were added' date=' too many to keep track of, and the game was completely broken forever and for all time.

[/quote']

Relax.. The mysterious art of computer programming magically allows for certain sections of code to be changed even after they have been summoned from the world of the nether. It's complicated I know just relax.

I think it is you who needs to relax friend. It seems you reply to every post in every thread. Perhaps you could use a break.

[/quote']

I think it is you who needs to relax friend. It seems you reply to every post in every thread. Perhaps you could use a break.

This is my break.. I spend most of my time writing (and FIXING) code.. For stuff like this, that is not ever broken now and for all time. (your words)

about a month ago I found myself running through the countryside' date=' hours on end, doing literally nothing but travelling , surviving , looting and having one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've had in a game, in ANY game. I've been a gamer for most of my life, and as I've gotten older I really started to lose interest in my hobby, my lifelong hobby.

Then I was gifted arrowhead by a friend who pointed me in the direction of a cool little mod, a sandbox zombie experience? count me the fu*k in!

and I played it from early beta( SORRY: Alpha, when you can't pick a valid argument, then pick up on a typo)

enjoyed it, looked past the small bugs and was truly blown away by this concept, I was playing a game where alot of the time I did nothing but run or walk and yet I couldn't stop.

I've sat in a deerstand at sunset with the rain pouring down and lightning flashed, a few zombies shambled around a barn in the distance, I scanned the horizon for life, and literally FELT like a survivor, gathered supplies and arms, ran through streets and got out of some serious scrapes, sure I've died alot but Its been a hell of a ride.

but.... as of late

this mod has gone to sh*t like major sh*t

its like a little kid painting a picture at elementary school, it gets to a point where its fine, it looks fine and works as a picture, then the kid keeps painting and painting because he thinks its fun, and ends up ruining it.

Rocket is that kid, he adds 5 new things that break another 10 things, rinse repeat this with almost every patch/hotfix, this was actually enjoyable around the 1.6 ish mark, it was challenging enough to punish new users, and also steady enough to keep veterans on their toes. zombie evading techniques were developed by players to survive and it was actually really really really engrossing.

now with every new patch its jumping the shark more and more, starting players with nothing but a bandage and painkillers? not fun. super agressive X-ray zombies? not fun. I fell over for no reason and broke my legs with a week old character with some truly great gear (gear I worked hard at getting) certainly not fun.

I may come back to this in a year or so, when It's in some playable and "fun" state, as of now its just got really fu*king old, really fu*king fast.

my 2 pence.

Rob

[/quote']

I agreee we are on hold to now and just bogthe a server for the game to help support the gamers. BUT zombis agro killing us /Pray that your crew fix this Rocket.

take a look at this link just befor the killer patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYba1eZV1Qc

That's an alpha in a nutshell mate.

Rocket and his team are going to add shit, remove shit and generally break shit before the polished and rough experience is reached. Then it will become the beta to further refine the edges and smooth it ready for retail.

[/quote']

People loved the game last week, now one week of changes and suddenly it's "broken forever" or they'll "never play again". Next week when the current set of issues is fixed you'll come back thanking Rocket for his work, then he'll release a few new changes and you'll start screaming it's broken again.

At this point I'm sure Rocket would probably prefer less testers, so don't swear it off forever, but maybe come back in a year or so and see how it looks.

Starting players with painkillers and a bandage is fucking realistic... we shouldn't even be starting with a backpack.. This is an anti-game. It's about realism and he makes sure to not do it to a point where it completely stops the game from being fun. If you were leading this, you'd fuck everything up.

That's an alpha in a nutshell mate.

Rocket and his team are going to add shit' date=' remove shit and generally break shit before the polished and rough experience is reached. Then it will become the beta to further refine the edges and smooth it ready for retail.

[/quote']

PPSSHT! You're not supposed to tell them that!

Well, seems like rocket is not exactly sure where he wants this mod to go (only my opinion, don't murder me). So he is adding some ingredients and stirring his concoction and seeing what happens. I for one am happy he is experimenting for better or worse. Lets just hope there is a solid game at the end of it all.

starting players with nothing but a bandage and painkillers? not fun. super agressive X-ray zombies? not fun.

Well' date=' these two points I do happen to agree with (lack of proper punctuation notwithstanding), but I'm sure, like everything else, these will continue to be tweaked going forward until the perfect balance is discovered. The game absolutely [i']must keep developing, growing and moving forward, though, so there will be growing pains along the way. I've accepted that. It's what an alpha is for after all.