Dr. Goner

Winchester 1866

Wait, so a small country having the military capabilities to defend itself are unrealistic? Ok. Sorry -insert almost any small eastern european nation here- Doctor Gonzo here says that your military is unrealistic. Also, killing other people in a zombie apocalypse (or really at ranges over 300m) isn't COD. So lets not get dismissive of other people's gameplay styles. Also, please don't tell me what I would or wouldn't miss, it's presumptuous.

The 1886 being prevalent in an eastern european nation in any sense isn't realistic at all. It would likely be something that the occasional (and likely ballin') collector would have, otherwise you'd see far more Kar98k's or Mosin nagants. And definitely more AK-47's (one of the most prevalent guns in the world) than a niche lever-action rifle.

Please read the original Wiki article on 1866 that I posted and see why it IS in fact prevalent in those areas. Also, I didn't realize that Chernarus was a country. I thought it was region or a state. If it was a country it would be the smallest country on earth... literally. The area is smaller than that of Rhode Island.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend. I just don't see DayZ as a military simulator. That's what ARMA is. DayZ is a survival horror game at its heart. There are military games ad nauseum out there. Let us have our survival horror. The best survival horror in history I might add, in part due to its realism.

Don't forget .45 Colt. Realistically I don't think you'd see any of these whatsoever at all, but in the case of the Winchester I'm willing to make an exception... jus 'cos.

OK, just to make it easy I'll copy it here. This gun would be in the area.

These rifles were used in number by the Ottoman Empire in the Russo-Turkish War, where they made quite a name for themselves during the Siege of Plevna. The battle incidentally caused all the major powers to seriously consider adopting repeating rifles, considering the outnumbered Turks inflicted 4 times as many casualties as the Russians did with their single-shot Krnka and Berdan rifles.

When i start the game I hope for a m4 or this, I've killed many players with automatics with this gun. It almost always kills/knocks out in one shot, thanks to the shotgun round spread. I love this gun as well but I prefer the m14 and m40 as "end game" gear, but the ol' whiny is up there for looting with low risk.

• Like 1

1. Now, I will admit that it's been a very, very long time since I played the ArmA campaign, but IIRC Chernarus is, in fact, a (fictional) small country that (IIRC) is where Georgia is. The 225 km2 map that is called "Chernarus" is only one province of it that (IIRC) is called South Zagoria. Also the island of Utes (IIRC) is Chernarussian territory as well.

So, that's dealt with.

2. I think the Winchester 1866 is something that would actually be around in greater quantities than one would think. While I do realize that Chernarus is hardly the American West, and thus it won't be adorning the mantelpiece of every homestead from Zelenogorsk to Krasnostav, it was used in fairly sizeable quantities in multiple conflicts around the Chernarussian region. Not only did it see action in the Russo-Turkish War as has been mentioned previously, it was also used by American troops sent to support the Whites during the Russian Civil War in 1920. They'd be much less common than they really are in DayZ at present, most likely 9 out of every 10 would be replaced by the Mosin-Nagant, Also I'm skeptical as to why we made it the 1866, when obviously the 1886 is so much superior.

Anyway, yeah. My two cents.

• Like 1

I could see a Winchester in Eastern Europe, they did import a number of 1895 versions chambered in 7,62x54mmR, the same round used by the SVD. Plus it's a game, so anything could be made up.

In addition, perhaps the 1866 should be replaced by a somewhat more common lever action? Something like the 1894 or 1892 chambered in a more modern cartridge. My understanding is that they do make modern copies chambered in .357 Magnum and .38 Special respecitively, the same also goes for .44 Magnum and .44 Special

The main reason I own a lever-action rifle is that it uses the same ammo as my revolver, like you said. .357 Magnum revolver, .357 carbine. Just like my Ruger Blackhawk and my M1 Carbine.

IMO, the concept of ammo sharing across platforms could be the main benefit of a lever-action. It's always nice in a situation like this to be able to shoot either weapon without worrying about ammo balancing.

• Like 1

1. Now, I will admit that it's been a very, very long time since I played the ArmA campaign, but IIRC Chernarus is, in fact, a (fictional) small country that (IIRC) is where Georgia is. The 225 km2 map that is called "Chernarus" is only one province of it that (IIRC) is called South Zagoria. Also the island of Utes (IIRC) is Chernarussian territory as well.

Exactly my point, such a small province wouldn't have three military bases. But also worth noting in the last devblog, Ivan stated that they took a field trip to the real Chernarus, which is fifty kilometers north of BIS headquarters. So, I'm not sure where it's really supposed to be because his statement places it in the Czech republic. It was nice hearing him talk about growing up in the forests and meadows of "Chernarus" though.

This gun and its variants are all completely bad ass. Easy to maintain, light weight, no training required, great iron sites, easiest ammo to reload (besides shotgun), and amazingly beautiful. Also, the range is good, stopping power is good. There's an awesome video out there on youtube where a fella talks about the 30/30 repeater being the best home defense weapon due to stopping power and rate of fire. I love the 1866, but it would be awesome to replace it with the marlin 30/30. I also own a Henry survival rifle 22 cal, it breaks down into three pieces that all fit in a waterproof stock. It's currently issued to every american pilot in there ejection gear. It's a cool little gun. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Edited by DrGonzo

Everything a .30-.30 can do, a Kalashnikov can do better :P

That's why I have one for home defense.

Her name is Alena.

The Winchester was replaced by the Mosin in the midst of it's being deployed. Winchesters being prevalent still makes less ense than AK's, Nagants, SKS's, or what would've been "locally" produced weapons. Futhermore, DayZ isn't a "Survival horror" game. It's a survival game, survival using whatever tools are available to you, whether they be sticks, Winchesters, or AS50's. The type of gear you use doesn't really detract from whether or not you are trying to survive.

There simply are other weapons far more suited to the setting than the Winchester. (Most of the not-that-sizable number Russia had they gave to Spain during the Spanish civil war anyway) and the enfield for that matter.

I find the fact that hip firing a sniper rifle in DayZ might hit you when you are within 100M, which has happened to me when I have had M4's and such. I figure if you hip fire a sniper, it would not even be close to where you wanted it to be.

• Like 1

The Winchester was replaced by the Mosin in the midst of it's being deployed. Winchesters being prevalent still makes less ense than AK's, Nagants, SKS's, or what would've been "locally" produced weapons. Futhermore, DayZ isn't a "Survival horror" game. It's a survival game, survival using whatever tools are available to you, whether they be sticks, Winchesters, or AS50's. The type of gear you use doesn't really detract from whether or not you are trying to survive.

There simply are other weapons far more suited to the setting than the Winchester. (Most of the not-that-sizable number Russia had they gave to Spain during the Spanish civil war anyway) and the enfield for that matter.

It would be just a survival game if there weren't ZOMBIES everywhere. Also, why do you continue to post anti 1866 stuff when in the Op I stated that this thread was to celebrate the weapon. Get back under your bridge little troll.

http://dorf-and-dorf.blogspot.com/2012/06/dayz-survival-horror-done-right.html

Edited by DrGonzo

Everything a .30-.30 can do, a Kalashnikov can do better :P

That's why I have one for home defense.

Her name is Alena.

I can't tell if you're being serious. Are you Russian? If so, I understand your statement as we all want to be patriotic. If you aren't I'm laughing my ass off because that statement is ridiculous. But obviusly we'll have to agree to disagree as we both seem to have sentimental attachments to these weapons.

I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate. I've owned both and the .357 is less powerful. 357 only tops the 44 due to lower cost of ammunition. I'm talking about rifles here not handguns. There are 357 handguns that are arguable more powerful but it depends on the cartridge load you choose.

EDIT: Also, there's no question that the 44s effective range is much longer than a 357. Also, the 44 creates a larger hole due to the slug size.

I judge power on the total average kinetic energy, the .357 Magnum has 915 J for the average of the loads I could get on Wikipedia. The .44-40 has 746 J for the average loads.

Edited by Shrimpy223

I judge power on the total average kinetic energy, the .357 Magnum has 915 J for the average of the loads I could get on Wikipedia. The .44-40 has 746 J for the average loads.

You use whatever math you want. A 12 gauge has over 2000 is it a better gun? Depends on range. Just use this and look at the 357 vs the 44 at 50ft. There's honestly no comparison.

Edit: Oops I forgot the link.

http://billstclair.com/energy.html

Edited by DrGonzo

I think in popularity ,,Yellow Boy" in Chernarus is due to allowing for relatively easy access to the originals and copies of firearms from the nineteenth century and the increasing tension associated with the development of the epidemic (everyone tried to somehow protect property and family and most of it was trying to do legal weapon). Pretty well if that was creators standalone added, for example, a replica Colt Navy, Remigton Rolling Bock or Sharps Rifle :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The 1886 being prevalent in an eastern european nation in any sense isn't realistic at all.

I agree but I thought it wasn't put in the game for the sake of realism, just a fun little homage to the Winchester from Shaun of the Dead.

So, I'm not really up for chopping it out of the game.

Maybe some nice and talented modder will come along and build a Nagant for the mod. I would imagine there's one in SA if opinion polls are anything to go by.