Sign in to follow this  
pawlzz

Weapon types (not the regular stuff)

I have seen many of similar ideas, but this is a completele different sight on stuff...

So there have been threads about unreliable weapons and jamming after using them for a long time (+repair).

My piont is a bit different. It would be konda practical and not very complicated if there were different versions of one weapon model.

- Just imagine finding a rusted hunting rifle in an old barn, but a new, clean one in a weapons store.

- Morover, the guns could have a great range of colour and detail differences to help distinguishing your friends and strangers.

- Just imagine an AK with a crushed stock that gives you worse aiming.

- Finding a gun with a smashed iron sight? Bad luck for you with aiming.

- Or maybe a shiny new reliable m4a1 from a military outpost, besting a rusty AKM that should be more powerful?

- And I need your help to find more good examples.

These ideas are very narrow; the point is to inspire the community and develpoers to work roughly in that direction, if they like it.

They could widen this idea to perfectly fit in the crafting system.

Of course it would be difficult to distinguish same weapons with different statistics, so i suggest tooltips that explain the stste of the weapin in the inventory.

I don't talk about repairing and gun wear, but of just different 'types' of weapons. Of course repairing could be added, but it's not the point of the suggestion.

Golden or total crap? What do you think? Suggestions for this suggestion? *yodawg*

Greets and Cheers,

Pawlzz :rolleyes:

Edited by Pawlzz
  • Like 1

Too many models and textures... MY COMPUTER WILL DIE!

Good mention, I didn't thought about that, but I don't think it would have that impact. Who knows...

• Like 1

Good mention, I didn't thought about that, but I don't think it would have that impact. Who knows...

That's for the devs to worry about. Edited by Beck

AK's and AKM's will still run pretty much the same even if they are rusty and have gotton the shit beaten out of them.

I like diversity in weapon condition/appearance. Maybe there could be a "gun inspection" view further down the development line, where you could appraise the condition of guns in detail, and even "spray" paint (once acquired) on the model to alter it's appearance.

Not sure how that could be implemented, but a good suggestion.

I want to get my Ak, put it in mud and stick leaves and grass on it.

It seems people want this game to be...too realistic.

Yes, I want a realistic game, but it seems people want it to be so specific, they want different grain rounds.

I think going as far as making "rusty weapons" and "weapons with crushed sights" is just too far. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, DayZ takes place immediatly after the outbreak, meaning things won't have gone to shit like in something such as 2017.

EDIT: How do you crush the iron sights on a gun?

Edited by Z_StaTik_z

So your idea is, better maintained weapons of the same kind are found in different loot locations? Sounds fun, will make searching in cities more thorough than running into a house and leaving with a Winchester. The rest tl;dr.

AK's and AKM's will still run pretty much the same even if they are rusty and have gotton the shit beaten out of them.

a dirty non cleaned AK. yes it will shoot fine. One that's rusty has the potential to be rusted shut making it inoperable.

It seems people want this game to be...too realistic.

Yes, I want a realistic game, but it seems people want it to be so specific, they want different grain rounds.

I think going as far as making "rusty weapons" and "weapons with crushed sights" is just too far. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, DayZ takes place immediatly after the outbreak, meaning things won't have gone to shit like in something such as 2017.

EDIT: How do you crush the iron sights on a gun?

Yeah I know mate, this post is, as mentioned, far too narrow and detailed.

This is just to show the idea and possibilities of this idea. Of course it wont be implemented like that and I'm glad it won't. The point is to give many ideas and let them pick the good ones.

In my opinion it wouldn't be very complicated. Just grab a gun snd fire if it's too complicated for you. I talk about slight performance varieties.

To your edit:

km4a1sights.jpg

Just look at the little nothes. A little bending because of smaches (i know these things are pretty massive, but anyway) would rise the feeling extremely. What do you think?

Just for everyone. Once again. This suggestion itself is way too complex to be implemented. That are just some ideas that can be picked out.

Isn't this mostly covered by the durabilty they wanted to implement ?

(except those iron sight damages)

I would prefer inaccuracy. So you have to know where the bullet goes or adjust the scope.

A gun becoming degraded does not significantly affect its accuracy. The main thing to worry about is its reliability. If you run around and get sand inside a finicky gun like an AR or one of the snooty "accurized" custom "M1911s" that they have now, it might just say no to going boom. AKs, much less so.

But definitely, sights are probably the most delicate pieces on a gun short of the internals. They're also the easiest to bump around. You take a corner the wrong way and slam the muzzle of your rifle into a doorframe, and it just happens to be sideways at the moment of impact, that's right on the front sight. Plus I've seen guns get damaged, or just leave the factory sucking ass, so that their rear sights are canted and don't line up with the front correctly. If you swing a weapon in melee combat (I SWEAR TO GOD SA IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THAT FEATURE I WILL KILL SOMEONE {WITH A HATCHET}), you're risking damage to certain key parts, like the magazine well and the stock. I've also seen low quality stocks get phsyically broken by swinging them around. Mostly on M16A4s. MCMAP is just too manly for those little prom queens.

If you haven't yet realized yet, I am an AK guy.

In short, though, the timeframe you see in DayZ at present is too short for your gun to really get corroded. When you hear people telling you that corrosive ammo and grime will ruin your gun if you don't maintain it, they aren't talking in terms of a week, which is about as long as I ever hope to go for in the standalone. They pretty much mean in a month or more of use without regular and thorough cleaning.

Edited by FlashHawk4

In short, though, the timeframe you see in DayZ at present is too short for your gun to really get corroded. When you hear people telling you that corrosive ammo and grime will ruin your gun if you don't maintain it, they aren't talking in terms of a week, which is about as long as I ever hope to go for in the standalone. They pretty much mean in a month or more of use without regular and thorough cleaning.

I meant that they already lied like 5-10 years unused in mud, maybe?

Once again, I don't talk about degradation in this post, this is not my point. I talk about the state is is found.

The rest very good, thank you, good infos BTW.

I see people don't understand what I meant.

I meant to implement maybe just one or two weapons like (rusted_ak_74) or (rusted_winchester).

I write so many stuff to inspire you and the crew. I think it's obvious, that you dont pick all, but just one of these ideas.

Cordial greets to all answering and saying your opinion though. Thanks!

Upon re-reading, yes, this is a good idea. I like the concept of finding guns that aren't maintained, but I just don't know how much stress literally quadrupling the number of firearm files in the game is going to put on the system.

If only we had gun shops in DayZ

If only we had gun shops in DayZ

Woudn't this crush the whole game concept? This can't be implemented IMO.