Lady Kyrah

Emotional death

Here is a tiny idea, non instant death should have a very desperate and violent feel to it. No spinning back flip like in your average FPS, but rather a 3 stage "sequence":

-The final blow: at which time your camera goes in 3rd person and provide a cinematic perspective, from this point of time, your character is, for the game, dead.

-The agony: humans react very much like animals when presented with the perspective of death, we desperately cling to life, our arms try to reach for something to get us out of this situation, we struggle against the inevitable.

-The settling: Your chracter stops moving, his eye stuck in a lifeless stare and the game state the obvious "you are dead"

Why?

Because i believe death shouldn't simply be pictured as 'game over', you should have to stare at your character's demise. It is an artistic and unpleasant way of driving home the idea of death, the idea of failure in a way. Next respawn it makes you actively seek not to die, not just to keep your loot, but so you do not have to witness the death of your character again.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 24

I like it! In the mod the nearest thing we have is a screaming player which really adds to the immersion. To see a player in the final throws of death would be cool.

• Like 4

As an emotional cue, it would soon lose its impact.

I agree that we need more feeling for our character's demise, but I think anything along these lines would be more of an annoyance than a trigger for remorse.

That's just my thought on it.

If I'm honest, the 1 death animation from BF3 is playing in my head, and it's pissing me off.

I did not mean a single stock animation, but there is a lot that can be done beyond just having a simple ragdoll replacing the player, a few subtle cues of life leaving the character to break the feel of "doll falling down", shakes, fingers clawing, a little bit a of blood of course if it needs it (but not a lot, we only have so much of it).

A player that died while he was crawling on the ground would obviously look like he kept trying to escape the danger some more, while a player shot in the chest point blank would have fallen backward, looking at his killer for example. A player who dies of poisoning might be curled on himself laying on the ground, gripping himself and convulsing during his agony.

Also there are many ways to die, in BF3 you just have this silly first person "hand", being in first person makes it less visual so i think you should see it from 3rd person if possible

It's not a high priority suggestion obviously.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. It made me think of the context-sensitive death animations of Resident Evil 2

It's always good to add variety. This suggestion would make death a more individual experience instead of a "You Are Dead" screen, and it would definitely be suitable for DayZ.

I just doubt the emotional impact's longevity.

Folk become desensitised quickly.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. It made me think of the context-sensitive death animations of Resident Evil 2

It's always good to add variety. This suggestion would make death a more individual experience instead of a "You Are Dead" screen, and it would definitely be suitable for DayZ.

I just doubt the emotional impact's longevity.

Folk become desensitised quickly.

Yeah i was checking various games, recently tomb raider seems to be "famous" for it, sadly most of those deaths are completely scripted and not really dynamic.

God i hate quicktime events...

Edited by Lady Kyrah

I can kind-of get behind this idea, but honestly, I find it the most cruel way to die when you're shot killed without a moment to spare, to reflect upon your life, or to think about those you care for. Yes, a slow death can look cruel, but when you're told that your time was NOW, and not 20 seconds in the future, that can be the most painful thing to imagine.

I kind of like how STALKER did it. When you die, your view goes third-person, and you see a glimpse of your character flopping on the ground with a groan/sigh/last breath. Then you get to stare at your dead body as the world tramples over you like you meant nothing to it.

• Like 5

I've had some emotional moments of friends dying, that was while playing missions with the ACE mod with my group.

Mainly didn't want them to die considering you cant respawn and don't want to be left alone with several enemy troops waiting for me outside the barn...Dem flashbacks.

Very intense stuff.

Anyways on topic, i like the idea. :beans:

Edited by GOD™

I can kind-of get behind this idea, but honestly, I find it the most cruel way to die when you're shot killed without a moment to spare, to reflect upon your life, or to think about those you care for. Yes, a slow death can look cruel, but when you're told that your time was NOW, and not 20 seconds in the future, that can be the most painful thing to imagine.

I kind of like how STALKER did it. When you die, your view goes third-person, and you see a glimpse of your character flopping on the ground with a groan/sigh/last breath. Then you get to stare at your dead body as the world tramples over you like you meant nothing to it.

Well a lot of wounds are fatal but do not kill you as they land, a few seconds can pass before it does and you are still concious then. It's this "desperately clinging to life" vision that i find gripping.

Hell a lot of soldiers simply pass out long before they actually die from the wound.

• Like 2

I would like to see more graphic detail upon death especially if ripped apart by zombies.

• Like 5

Maybe it could be something that doesn't happen every time you die. Maybe to keep that instant harshness for the actual player they just go straight to "You are Dead" or whatever they're planning but for other players in the area they get to see your last movements such as curling up into a ball or a final scream, even then it shouldn't be too frequent and could depend on the means of death.

In theory I LOVE this idea.

Practically however I wonder if this is really the best use of our very precious dev time?

• Like 1

Just have a live-view camera looking down, and panning back from your body, or a lifeless 1st person stare for a few seconds fading to black (or mix it up)

This would allow you to see players approaching, zeds feeding on you or whatever.

Sounds cool that added with the scream already in the mod will make death seem very 'emotional' indeed. I actually like this idea haven't seen another one like it before.

Head shot = You're dead screen

Mortally wounded = Flopping groaning

Etc.

I think it would be great to see some variety. Getting chewed to death by a zed would be a long slow death.

• Like 2

Head shot = You're dead screen

Mortally wounded = Flopping groaning

Etc.

I think it would be great to see some variety. Getting chewed to death by a zed would be a long slow death.

Agree, the time it takes to die should be appropriate to the cause of death, especially death by zombies, that needs to be a lot more gruesome.

I wouldn't like to be forced into third person to watch myself die, I personally think it would be more immersive seeing it happen in first person. But yeah, slow deaths would be cool, not just long animations that always end in death but, say, bleeding to death, something that could be stopped but if not then it would be a hard thing to watch. Your character slowly gets weaker, stumbling, falling, being reduced to a crawl, passing out and eventually dying. Getting shot in certain areas could render you immobilized, kind of like the sniper scene inte Saving Private Ryan. While it is a good start, DayZ could use more stages of life then conscious, unconscious, broken legs and dead. Incapacitated would be a good start.

Furthermore, I would also like to see animations that change with non-lethal wounds, too. Non-functional limbs or a different animation for broken leg than just crawling prone.

• Like 4

Like in many war movies, wounded soldiers tend to call out to their mama because they're in shock. They also start wailing and coughing up blood.

I feel this would add more guilt and a darker theme to the overall game.

Right now in the mod, players just do the silly death animation after getting shot.

• Like 4