Sign in to follow this  
applejaxc

Defending your base right: BAF portable LMGs

So probably my absolutely favorite thing introduced in A2OA, other than (maybe) solid IF sights, anti-vehicular rifles, and IEDs, is the British Armed Forces portable machine gun kits.

Basically, depending on the size of the LMG in question, 2-3 men could replace their backpacks/rocket launchers with either a tripod bag, kit bag, or other pieces bag after disassembling a mounted turret. The group of men could then, of course, transport the LMG somewhere else, and work together to mount the turret back on the tripod and get back to shooting somewhere else, transporting the heavy firepower to wherever the mission required it.

This could also be done with mortars (and can be done in ArmA 3), however mortars are a no-no in DayZ.

My suggestion: As part of ultra-rare (wrecked heli) or high-end military (airfield) loot, tripods could be found (or made from scrap metal?), along with a LMG, GMG, MMG, or HMG body (lacking the required apparatus to be man-portable, like a grip) could be stuffed into either normal backpacks, taking up most (all?) the room of a coyote or Czech bag. Player X would scroll-wheel to place the tripod, and whatever direction he's facing is where the machine gun will face when placed. Player Y would scroll-wheel to add the weapon proper. Player W would open his gear menu and put the ammunition into the turret. Pretty soon, you're on the roof of the Elektro hospital with the perfect anti-car automatic weapon!

TL;DR? Well, in short:

Basically 2+ players would have to work together in a giant pain-in-the-ass circle of searching for parts that aren't likely to spawn together, bring it to their base, set it all up, supply it with ammo, and then not be able to use it when they left base. This would promote teamwork, and potentially create no-man's lands of walls of turrets between cities, where no man fears to tread save a .50BMG find him.

Sand bags/tank traps/et cetera could be placed around the emplacement for cover, OR potentially added to the "Vehicle" the turret creates?

Turret types

• Minigun (taken off of wrecked/scavenged helicopter?)
  • M249 SAW/M240 US LMGs (improved accuracy w/ mount?)
  • RPK, RPD
  • DShKM
  • Sniper rifles?

Pros

• Feel like a badass when your "Epic base" has a machine gun on the roof
  • Sense of immersion when you're defending your home
  • Promotion of strategy in large-team groups (so it's not just "Everyone run up and shoot," but rather, "Hey David, stay on the turret, everyone be careful not to walk in front of him!:)
  • Lights could be mounted, to light up your base without a fireplace/NVGs/Flares
  • Raiding a defended base would be a lot more fun/challenging
  • Defending cities from helicopters would feel more realistic than trying to hit a heli with a sniper rifle

Cons

• Well-motivated and active bandit groups (the ones Rocket added in diseases to kill) could potentially surround themselves in LMGs
  • Existence of even more 1-hit-KO .50 weapons
  • Pilots have yet ANOTHER thing to be scared of
  • Spawning in cars is bad enough. What if hax0rs manage to spawn in turrets?
  • Nightmares of adding things to spawn tables...

• Like 5

Well, wasteland manages this pretty well. But with standalone (or arma 3 dayz mod sooner) you should be able to find bipods, foregrips etc, sights and shit so snipers with bipods are pretty much gonna be a thing

Well, wasteland manages this pretty well. But with standalone (or arma 3 dayz mod sooner) you should be able to find bipods, foregrips etc, sights and shit so snipers with bipods are pretty much gonna be a thing

In a perfect world, yes. But ArmA just isn't set up for bipods to really work. I used to play ACE quite a bit, and I thought their bipod system was a turd. Not that I don't think Rocket can do better, mind you! :)

In a perfect world, yes. But ArmA just isn't set up for bipods to really work. I used to play ACE quite a bit, and I thought their bipod system was a turd. Not that I don't think Rocket can do better, mind you! :)

just saying, no offense random guys managed to put dayz mod onto a new engine in a stable condition faster than rocket could so idk, maybe he/his mod team should look at other programers and seek assistance. idk but laying down with a 50 cal and just shooting it without a single fuck is a bit ridiculous, a bipod would make sniper both a more enjoyable experience and a realistic one.

The BAF and US Army tripod guns would be massively overpowered because they have magnified optics... you can take people out at thousands of meters... it would work well on Wasteland servers but not so much on DayZ ones.

Here, some random tripod shooting at 1300 or so meters... they're so far away you can hardly see them in my grainy video and the thing just rains down one-hit kills.

However that's not the main issue I'd have :P if there was gonna be a mounted machine gun, I'd wanna see a PKM or a DShK instead of a British or American weapon. Perhaps even a truck-mounted one...

Tripod MGs? Maybe... but not BAF ones.

just saying, no offense random guys managed to put dayz mod onto a new engine in a stable condition faster than rocket could so idk, maybe he/his mod team should look at other programers and seek assistance. idk but laying down with a 50 cal and just shooting it without a single fuck is a bit ridiculous, a bipod would make sniper both a more enjoyable experience and a realistic one.

Right. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in game. I'm just saying employing them realistically would be more trouble than it's worth, especially with how clunky movement is and how thick grass is.

The BAF and US Army tripod guns would be massively overpowered because they have magnified optics... you can take people out at thousands of meters... it would work well on Wasteland servers but not so much on DayZ ones.

Here, some random tripod shooting at 1300 or so meters... they're so far away you can hardly see them in my grainy video and the thing just rains down one-hit kills.

However that's not the main issue I'd have :P if there was gonna be a mounted machine gun, I'd wanna see a PKM or a DShK instead of a British or American weapon. Perhaps even a truck-mounted one...

I was inspired by the BAF SYSTEM, not the BAF WEAPONS. :) I was thinking in-game found weapons already primarily, like the M249 o a PKM. And truck mounts were in my mind as I wrote, but I was derailing enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWYfxYBzYk

“Each rifle a sniper uses has unique characteristics that are compounded by the ammunition and many, many exterior factors. There is wind. There is humidity. There is the spin of the Earth. There is even the fact that as a rifle is fired, its barrel heats up, the metal contracts, and the bullets are propelled faster.”

Edited by Lupatchi

It would be balance,,, IF WInd, the earths rotation and gravity actually affected the bullet travel.

Earths rotation throwing a bullet off at 3KM? ...yeah. right.

Earths rotation throwing a bullet off at 3KM? ...yeah. right.

at 3km, it does. the bullet is stalled in mid-flight for a long enough period of time that the earths rotation affects the bullet travel.

" Because of the rotation of the earth in relationship to ballistics, the bullet does not fly straight although it may seem like it from the shooter's perspective. The Coriolis effect changes the trajectory of the bullet slightly to give the path of the projectile a more arched shape. This situation only occurs at extremely long distances and therefore, is used to calculate a perfect shot by today's trained snipers.[15]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect its the cariolis affect and at 3km, yeh it affects it.

Here's the BAF L111A1 tripod successfully engaging 6 targets and a UAZ at over 2,100 meters.

Yeah, they'e too efficient in A2. Needs bigger recoil coefficient or somesuch.

The general concept is nice though. Would promote teamwork between gunner and loader.

at 3km, it does. the bullet is stalled in mid-flight for a long enough period of time that the earths rotation affects the bullet travel.

" Because of the rotation of the earth in relationship to ballistics, the bullet does not fly straight although it may seem like it from the shooter's perspective. The Coriolis effect changes the trajectory of the bullet slightly to give the path of the projectile a more arched shape. This situation only occurs at extremely long distances and therefore, is used to calculate a perfect shot by today's trained snipers.[15]"

https://en.wikipedia...Coriolis_effect its the cariolis affect and at 3km, yeh it affects it.

In DayZ, practical sniping engagements are within 1KM, or shoot at very still targets if someone tries to make a further shot. The earth spins slowly enough that it doesn't effect that short of a shot by enough to seriously adjust for it.

bla bla bla didn't read the thread before posting

BAF INSPIRED not BAF RECREATED.

The Coriolis effect does actually come into the most ridiculous shots ever made in the history of shooting guns, but anything less than 1.5km it's pretty much nil. Past that it's just affecting the end point by less than a meter, but less than a meter is a pretty damn big deal unless you have some kind of 40mm HE rifle. And if you do, that's not fair, you're cheating.

Anyway, tripod guns would be pretty cool. I'd like to see them. Also, if we do pick a NATO GPMG alongside the DShK/PKM/Kord stuff, I'd cast my vote for the MG3. Think about it. The nigh-inconceivable cyclic rate is something people would fall in love with, but then they would curse it after the shootout, when they realize they just used 250 rounds of the 300 rounds they spent a week finding against a single target. It would eat up ammo so fast that it would be inherently more balanced in the long term.

• Like 1

I smell bloodbaths in cherno because one or two guys placed an LMG on a high place.

Waaay to OP.

I smell bloodbaths in cherno because one or two guys placed an LMG on a high place.

Waaay to OP.

That's... kind of the point...

Militaries defend bases with superior firepower.

Find a Cz or don't go into Cherno.

• Like 1

That's... kind of the point...

Militaries defend bases with superior firepower.

Find a Cz or don't go into Cherno.

"Heavy machine guns? That'll ruin the gameplay, they're not fair!" -DayZ dabbler

"Two blokes put a GPMG on a roof? Sweet, where is this roof? I'll flank the shit out of them, I want that machine gun." -True DayZ player

"Heavy machine guns? That'll ruin the gameplay, they're not fair!" -DayZ dabbler

"Two blokes put a GPMG on a roof? Sweet, where is this roof? I'll flank the shit out of them, I want that machine gun." -True DayZ player

Exactly, thank you. And I was planning more light machine guns than general purpose and heavy ones. :)

"So why not just put stationary rocket launchers and LMGs on cars in this game? I would flank them totally. This is a frickin deathmatch game. " - your definition of the true DayZ player

"Having not high end and extreme heavy military equipment makes the struggling for surviving far more tense. Placing an LMG in a bush and making swiss cheese of cars and men in a radius of 3km without even looting them is not really cool." - my definition of a true DayZ player.

EDIT: I just mean they should be kinda nerfed. Maybe some rusty HMG with a bad turning radius would be kinda nice, or even selfmade "stationary" Guns. but that ARMA 100,000$ rmachineguns are just ot fitting into the game, or do they?

Edited by Pawlzz

"So why not just put stationary rocket launchers and LMGs on cars in this game? I would flank them totally. This is a frickin deathmatch game. " - your definition of the true DayZ player

"Having not high end and extreme heavy military equipment makes the struggling for surviving far more tense. Placing an LMG in a bush and making swiss cheese of cars and men in a radius of 3km without even looting them is not really cool." - my definition of a true DayZ player.

EDIT: I just mean they should be kinda nerfed. Maybe some rusty HMG with a bad turning radius would be kinda nice, or even selfmade "stationary" Guns. but that ARMA 100,000$ rmachineguns are just ot fitting into the game, or do they?

You don't understand my definition of a DayZ player at all and I'd thank ye kindly to not make assumptions like that. DayZ is not a deathmatch game at all, and long time players/active community members often complain about such a playstyle.

I was agreeing with you in my last post, too! I just said I don't want powerful weapon emplacements. How about you read the post next time? >.>

You don't understand my definition of a DayZ player at all and I'd thank ye kindly to not make assumptions like that. DayZ is not a deathmatch game at all, and long time players/active community members often complain about such a playstyle.

I was agreeing with you in my last post, too! I just said I don't want powerful weapon emplacements. How about you read the post next time? >.>

Mate, I didn't even refer to your post... chill out. I wasn't even quoting you. ;)

I answered FlashHawk4, who was clearly refering to me as a "DayZ dabbler". And sorry I meant HMGs.

I mainly like the Idea of having mounted LMGs. Maybe, like you said you could just put them on a found mount or craft some out of scrap metal. That would be epic!

The only worries I have is the minigun or DShKMs. Oh boy, I think that would be just too much. You could build a base around them and be nearly invincible.

The "mount only" variant without grip are a good idea for heavy weapons. Why not an universal tripod (I dont know if that's possible in rl), so you can even mount an AKM or any other gun if you don't have the right ewuipment?

The possibilities are endless. The main idea is a nice basis to work with I think.

I agree on the minigun turret as that seems quite reasonable but the others not so much :|,

I am personally hoping S:A doesn't have BAF portable-lmgs since we're in russia and I don't believe English Soldiers have ever had a war with russia.

(correct me if wrong)

I agree on the minigun turret as that seems quite reasonable but the others not so much :|,

I am personally hoping S:A doesn't have BAF portable-lmgs since we're in russia and I don't believe English Soldiers have ever had a war with russia.

(correct me if wrong)

... *facepalm, again, because either the OP wasn't clear or wasn't read*

I want the IDEA of portable machine guns, not British light machine guns.

Might just want to tweak the title, then. It seems like it's a bit difficult to grasp.

Anyway, these would obviously be incredibly rare. Rare far beyond the current definitions of "rare". It should be something that you actually get giddy when you stumble across one, and become visibly excited. It should make your day. Not like the current run on the NWAF that yields two M4s and an M240. It wouldn't be game-breaking if it were actually that rare. It would also be something that people wouldn't want to risk on a basic run on Cherno. It would obviously have to have many, many flaws. Obviously it would replace your backpack, and since most DayZ players seem to treasure 24 slots of backpack just as much, if not more than, an automatic weapon, it would have to be something used tactically. Plus it would take at least a pair of people to move. And, finally, it would tear through ammo.