Sign in to follow this  
applejaxc

Steam Achievements and Progressing Weapons

Steam Achievements

• No one who really plays DayZ as an apocalypse game wants crosslife benefits, like XXX action means you always spawn with a compass. That's just silly.
  • But why not achievements?
  • 1st time becoming hero/bandit
  • x10 beans eaten/sodas drank
  • travel XXX meters in one life
  • Et cetera

Progressing Weapons

• There's already been mention of modular weapon modifications (scopes, suppressors, et cetera), but there's a pretty big difference between screwing a silencer onto a barrel and converting a flash suppressor into an internal silencer.
  • Kits could develop "Tiers" of weapons, IE turning a M14 into a DMR with a military-grade conversion kit (match grade barrel/action, modifying the rail so the scope is more accurate, et cetera). The DMR conversion of a M14 would be more accurate than a M14 with a scope.
  • Kits could be crafted from individual pieces (barrels, sights, grips, actions, et cetera)
  • With enough time/at some kind of work station, M14 ---> DMR ---> M14 ---> DMR.
  • Convert hunting rifles (.22, et cetera) to 5.56/.30-06 win mag?
  • Convert semi-auto civilian weapons into illegal automatics
  • Integral suppressors more effective than screw-ons
  • Longer/shorter barrels improve accuracy/damage at range, or better handling/aiming speed
  • Better sights, like the white-peg see-in-the-dark iron sights (I don't know what they're actually called, but they have improved visibility at night)
  • Better flash suppressors on upgraded models = less flash at night
  • Flash/Silencer/Thermal suppressors (real things, as far as I know) so NVGs and zombies don't pick you out so easily/you don't blind yourself whilst shooting at night
  • Ruger 700 ---> M24
  • Change shotgun caliber (12 gauge to 10 gauge and back?)

This is a work-in-progress idea; I need to do some googling to find better examples of weapons that are converted into one-another.

• Just remembered! Modular weapon platforms, like the Steyr AUG, which can be converted into an assault rifle, marksman's rifle, LMG, or SMG.
  • STONER platform, similar
  • Stoner LMG ---> .50 cal assault rifle ---> 7.62SPR

Steam Achievements

• No one who really plays DayZ as an apocalypse game wants crosslife benefits, like XXX action means you always spawn with a compass. That's just silly.
  • But why not achievements?
  • 1st time becoming hero/bandit
  • x10 beans eaten/sodas drank
  • travel XXX meters in one life
  • Et cetera

Progressing Weapons

• There's already been mention of modular weapon modifications (scopes, suppressors, et cetera), but there's a pretty big difference between screwing a silencer onto a barrel and converting a flash suppressor into an internal silencer.
  • Kits could develop "Tiers" of weapons, IE turning a M14 into a DMR with a military-grade conversion kit (match grade barrel/action, modifying the rail so the scope is more accurate, et cetera). The DMR conversion of a M14 would be more accurate than a M14 with a scope.
  • Kits could be crafted from individual pieces (barrels, sights, grips, actions, et cetera)
  • With enough time/at some kind of work station, M14 ---> DMR ---> M14 ---> DMR.
  • Convert hunting rifles (.22, et cetera) to 5.56/.30-06 win mag?
  • Convert semi-auto civilian weapons into illegal automatics
  • Integral suppressors more effective than screw-ons
  • Longer/shorter barrels improve accuracy/damage at range, or better handling/aiming speed
  • Better sights, like the white-peg see-in-the-dark iron sights (I don't know what they're actually called, but they have improved visibility at night)
  • Better flash suppressors on upgraded models = less flash at night
  • Flash/Silencer/Thermal suppressors (real things, as far as I know) so NVGs and zombies don't pick you out so easily/you don't blind yourself whilst shooting at night
  • Ruger 700 ---> M24
  • Change shotgun caliber (12 gauge to 10 gauge and back?)

This is a work-in-progress idea; I need to do some googling to find better examples of weapons that are converted into one-another.

• Just remembered! Modular weapon platforms, like the Steyr AUG, which can be converted into an assault rifle, marksman's rifle, LMG, or SMG.
  • STONER platform, similar
  • Stoner LMG ---> .50 cal assault rifle ---> 7.62SPR

can't be done at the moment cause dayz wasn't published on steam and most use commander.

can't be done at the moment cause dayz wasn't published on steam and most use commander.

This suggestion was for the SA...

• Like 1

I could see why some people would want achievables, but I've never really had much interest in them.

The gun modification sounds like a cool idea, though. Things like conversion kits would have to be pretty rare of course.

I give up. Have we so coddled our children that they need special recognition for such mundane tasks?

I don't really like the achievements idea, but I do like modular weapons.

I love modifying guns IRL. People seem to think that the AR is the god of modularity, but the AK can do almost as much, easily. Within a week of me having purchased my (first) Kalashnikov, I had swapped the slant brake for a badass flash suppressor, the gas tube with a railed version and slapped a tactical light on there, etc. etc. And mind you, this didn't even take a single tool. Such is the beauty of the Kalashnikov. Since then I've also swapped the lower handguard for something that doesn't burn like hell after 60 rounds, the cheap synthetic stock for a quality Bulgarian side-folder, the trigger assembly for an aftermarket Tapco one, etc. etc...

Anyway, yeah, I'm all for weapon modding. There's the inevitable issue of how to go about giving the player's character the game-side "knowledge" of how to do such a thing, which is probably the #1 issue here in the Suggestions board, but still.

epeen enhancements? No thanks.

Epeen? The enhancements would be statistical, not egotistical... unless you were using a malapropism?

The gun modification sounds like a cool idea, though. Things like conversion kits would have to be pretty rare of course.

Exactly!

I give up. Have we so coddled our children that they need special recognition for such mundane tasks?

No, children haven't been coddled into needing it. I just miss my early days in TF2 (when I was still having fun in it), where every 3 or 4 matches I'd get a "Bing, achievement get!" or in CS;S where I'd get 1 or 2 per match. It makes me feel a lot less wasteful with my time than looking at the, "You have played ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead Beta 27 hours this week, 200 something hours total."

eight.

7?

Achievements would be a great addition, it certainly wouldn't harm or alter the experience at all. I wouldn't place this as a priority for development however.

I personally don't get any enjoyment from achievements but that doesn't mean it isn't a sound suggestion. The only flaws that could arise from this would be people taking actions in order to get an achievements they otherwise wouldn't take. That could be preventive by the type of achievements implemented though. I feel the pros outweigh the cons; given how minor they are

• Like 1