Sign in to follow this  
WARFIGHTER AT READY

M1911(s)

The link doesn't work for me... Mk IV?

Do you mean the MK IV Series 70 Government Model with the special collet bushing? :huh: I have no idea why that would be necessary, wouldn't be any different in-game, maybe better sights...

I can see the sense in have variations of guns, to some extent, but it feels a bit redundant to me.

I can see the sense in have variations of guns, to some extent, but it feels a bit redundant to me.

Heh, like the suggestions of adding an AK-47" or a civilian AR-15... I don't get that ^_^

Heh, like the suggestions of adding an AK-47" or a civilian AR-15... I don't get that ^_^

it adds some variety and helps with immersion but Im not for it, just seems like a waste of time tbh

it adds some variety and helps with immersion but Im not for it, just seems like a waste of time tbh

Mmm, depends on the weapon. Some AKM variants, maybe an AMD-65 and a Romanian pistol grip model, maybe a slightly rare Tantal, an AK-74M to go with the current 74, etc... I think those would be worthwhile.

I mean, someone went to the trouble of modelling toilet paper and straight razors that serve absolutely no purpose apart from "variety"...so a few basic AKs wouldn't hurt, and I think it would be good for the game (see below) Maybe even one with the stock removed just for kicks. :lol:

But 1911s... they're not even common over there. Are they? And I assume if you saw any, they'd be the basic "Plain Jane" types, maybe Norinco or BUL or something. Their positive attributes aside, a big part of the reason 1911s are so popular with Americans is because the 1911 is a good wholesome old-fashioned and historic American gun... I don't know if Europeans have the same taste, certainly their military and police forces do not.

So for that reason, I don't think we need any more 1911 variants.

I think we need more Kalashnikovs because everyone seems to be running around with M4s and DMRs and that... irritates me. Not so much in-game, but when thinking about it... :huh:

(and while we're at it AK-74 damage could be upped a bit, it's currently 75% of 5.56, decent formula-wise since it has 75% of the energy and doesn't fragment... but in terms of effect, I think sqrt0.75= 87% might be better, I doubt it's 25% less effective when actually shooting folks. :|

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

I would much rather them add weapon variants than things like toilet paper. yes more varied Ak's would be nice I would rather see that time put into more pertinent things. as for fixing weapon damages and stuff, I agree with you there I think it needs to be worked on.

I would much rather them add weapon variants than things like toilet paper. yes more varied Ak's would be nice I would rather see that time put into more pertinent things. as for fixing weapon damages and stuff, I agree with you there I think it needs to be worked on.

Yup, there are a lot more important things than AK variants...

As for damage something simple that pops into my head is taking the square of the difference between calibers. Say use 7.62x51 as a baseline, that would give you...

9x19mm = 2600

.45 ACP = 3300

5.45x39 = 4600

5.56x45 = 5300

7.62x39 = 6000

7.62x51 = 8000

Play around with the baseline value a bit, maybe make 7.62x51 do closer to 7000 like a Lee, then 45s would do 3000, you'd solve the pistol nerf problem... might be too lethal for people's tastes though.

Oops derailing the thread, back to 1911s.

I really think that 1911s would be inappropriate. People seem to suggest American firearms simply because they don't have unnervingly detailed knowledge of Soviet-bloc firearms like some of us do :P

Anyway, I'd love to see stuff like the Nagant revolver, the Tokarev, etc. etc...but a 1911? Don't think there would be a reason to see them in Chernarus.

I really think that 1911s would be inappropriate. People seem to suggest American firearms simply because they don't have unnervingly detailed knowledge of Soviet-bloc firearms like some of us do :P

Anyway, I'd love to see stuff like the Nagant revolver, the Tokarev, etc. etc...but a 1911? Don't think there would be a reason to see them in Chernarus.

True, very true, but if we only have a set of weapons (Soviet), I wouldn't be very entertained in seeing them over and over again. Of course, this would be in the far future, but its still true. Now, I can't say much on this at all because I don't know anything about Chernarus, if its real at all, but a spin-off could be that the U.S. Military was there and was in war with the Soviet for some random reason. This would give a reason for U.S. (or possibly any type of weapon) weapons in Soviet territory. They could be rarer, but only act like Mountain Dew (no benefit in having a U.S. weapon if it takes the same bullets, just is different looking)

How about the UN? If thirteen different countries send over like five hundred guys apiece to help the Chernarussian military, that could explain how there are like five different guns apiece from thirteen countries. But again, that's backstory. I think only 5% of us are really questioning this kind of thing, the other 95% are just like "WAY COOL MAN, A BERETTA LOL"

And also, there's still a great variety of weapons even if we lean more towards Eastern Bloc weapons. The Russians make some fine Saiga and Vepr sporting rifles and shotguns that lots of people in the Soviet-bloc region use for recreational shooting and hunting, there's a whole bunch of rifles like the CZ that don't tend to get imported here to the US, we could always do with older military weapons like the SKS carbine, the Mosin-Nagant M91/30 and the Mosin-Nagant M44, and all the specific-purpose Soviet/Russian military weapons, the RPKs and PKMs, the SVDs and VSSs, the PP-2000s and Vz-65s, the AN-94s and AK-12s, the RPGs and RPOs, etc etc etc...

I'm not saying we take out the NATO weaponry. I'm also not saying we boost the military-grade weapon spawns even more than they are now by throwing even more Russian weapons in alongside the NATO ones without tweaking the spawn rates. But I think it's absolutely silly that the most common military sniper rifle in the game is American and the rarest is Russian, even though we're on the Russian southern(?) border. And I think the weapon spawn locations should match up with the locations more logically. The UN peacekeeping mission would have its own military compound within the country that would take on the same role as the International Airfield, the drop site for exotic weapons and people's dead corpses. And the Chernarussian bases would have Chernarussian weapons.

In my eyes, more weapon variety is a good thing. But still, M1911s like the Winchester should just be rare guns only implemented for variety. I mean, it's completely possible that someone in Chernarus might own one, but I think the fact that even with the 1911 and winchester being so common in the mod, it'd be more realistic that only one or two at most would spawn, that way someone who finds one would treasure it more.

Giving more of an emphasis to take weapons like it, similar to the military weapons in the mod; you've found a weapon which likely will not spawn anywhere else on the server, ammo is scarce but it's got its' own useful traits. Take it or leave it?

That said, assuming the US military had some role pre-outbreak, 1911s wouldn't be as rare as one or two considering the US still uses them to some extent.

I think this M1911 should be implemented as military loot

Yup, there are a lot more important things than AK variants...

As for damage something simple that pops into my head is taking the square of the difference between calibers. Say use 7.62x51 as a baseline, that would give you...

9x19mm = 2600

.45 ACP = 3300

5.45x39 = 4600

5.56x45 = 5300

7.62x39 = 6000

7.62x51 = 8000

Play around with the baseline value a bit, maybe make 7.62x51 do closer to 7000 like a Lee, then 45s would do 3000, you'd solve the pistol nerf problem... might be too lethal for people's tastes though.

Oops derailing the thread, back to 1911s.

No...

a .45 ACP would do far far far more damage than any 7.62

No...

Debatable, having both a Mosin Nagant ( 7.62x54R ) and carrying a 1911 for the longest time, range is the only real difference, you hit some one center mass with ether, they're dead. Now, in terms of game play, I want the old pistol damage values back, I know thats kinda beating ( don't hate me bronies ) a dead horse. I remember for the longest time rolling with my 1911 out, center mass to anything was a kill shot, only took out my primary for long range.

No...

Lolno, the 7.62x51 might have a smaller bullet but it has 7 times as much energy. Do you hear of anyone hunting elk with a .45 ACP? There's a reason for that.

Like Creeper said though, "you hit some one center mass with ether, they're dead"... shows the flaw of the hitpoint damage system, no vital areas apart from headshots.

• Like 1

just to expound further, here is a pic of a .45 ACP casing right next to a casing for a 7.62x54R, same round fired out of a 91/30 Mosin Nagant and the SVD Dragonov

TWnC69m.jpg

As Gews said, the .45 ACP is a bigger heavier round ( normally around 230 grains ) the 7.62 fires a 210 grain projectile BUT, the amount of powder behind the 7.62 round, boils down to the right tool for the right job

Also here are some wound profiles of a .45 Silvertip hollow-point, standard 230-gr ball and the bottom one is the 7.62x54R.

04WN9xS.gif

These don't tell the full story but you don't want to be hit by any of them...

I fire steel cored surplus ammo out of my Nagant, no body armor out there will save you >=)

Mainly use it for hunting boar though =P