Sign in to follow this  
Cap'n (DayZ)

My trouble with direct chat

I don't know if this is something others can relate to, but I don't feel comfortable talking to others over direct chat. I'm no bandit, but it makes it difficult for people to trust me. I have a decent, twenty dollar Logitech mic I bought for Skype. But I almost never use it unless I'm talking to someone I personally know. I can't explain why I'm so uncomfortable with talking to others, but it might have something to do with my age(I'm 14, btw). People tell me I'm mature, but I feel others might not give me full respect. I'm even afraid of getting kicked off of our server because I'm not an "adult"(that generally doesn't go a long way). I'm sure a decent bandit wouldn't segregate over who he shoots, but what about a potentially friendly player? And what if he plans on trolling me, just because? But my question is, is this a dilemma anyone else here can relate to?

Edited by Cap'n

So you type in direct chat instead?

Are you afraid that talking would hurt your chances of survival?

Edited by Man vs Wild
  • Like 1

I dont think someone is going to shoot you because of your age, aslong as the player declares there friendly thats all that matter =)

I don't know if this is something others can relate to, but I don't feel comfortable talking to others over direct chat. I'm no bandit, but it makes it difficult for people to trust me. I have a decent, twenty dollar Logitech mic I bought for Skype. But I almost never use it unless I'm talking to someone I personally know. I can't explain why I'm so uncomfortable with talking to others, but it might have something to do with my age(I'm 14, btw). People tell me I'm mature, but I feel others might not give me full respect. I'm even afraid of getting kicked off of our server because I'm not an "adult"(that generally doesn't go a long way). I'm sure a decent bandit wouldn't segregate over who he shoots, but what about a potentially friendly player? And what if he plans on trolling me, just because? But my question is, is this a dilemma anyone else here can relate to?

Being a youngster is awkward... you are opinionated and vocal, yet your voice is still high-pitched and squeaky... not a good combination.

Also, demanding full respect as a 14 year old is a little laughable... seeing as how you haven't done or accomplished anything yet, you're still just growing up. I mean I don't get why some people HATE youngsters, but I also don't treat them like equals, because frankly, you are not my peer or my equal.

So... what I'm getting at is, as a youngster, you shouldn't demand, or even expect any respect at all... but also you shouldn't give up and think the world is a shitty place... its just a shitty place for 12-18 year olds.

The whole social-anxiety thing about not using your microphone. I went through the same thing for over a decade... and I still don't enjoy talking on the mic, I just do it because it adds to the game, and its far more efficient than typing everything... and easier on your hands/wrist too (you'll see when you get older... Carpal Tunnel is a bitch).

My best piece of advice to you is this if you're going to use your microphone... and you DO need to know this... the slang of your age-group SUCKS. No one wants to hear that TXT-speak over the mic... as in: "OH-EM-GEE This gun is tots-ab-fab". Your generation sound like a bunch of stuttering retards stuck in a spelling bee when they start speaking in slang. No adult that is worth anything wants to hear that bullshit internet slang, especially SPOKEN by a 14 year old dumbass (sorry, as a 14 year old, you are a default dumbass, no matter how high your grades are... its about life experience).

I know everything I just said sounds mean and harsh.. but its reality for most adults. We're too old for that childish slang shit, and most adults haaaaaaaaaaate the way adolescent voices sound... especially during stressful times. If I had a 14 year old scream over the mic and getting all excited, I'd shoot you just for the peace and quiet.

Also... and this one is purely a personal gripe... I fuckin' hate it when people say stupid shit like Broheim, Broseph, Broham, Brah, and any variation on the word Brother, Bro, or Bros. It's bad enough to have to read that bullshit, but when some douchey teenager keeps saying that shit over the mic, I reeaaaaaaaally wish sometimes we were in a REAL zombie apocolypse, because I'd murder everyone that ever said Broheim or Broseph or anything like that just out of principle.

• Like 1

I don't think it would be a problem either. I'd be a lot less likely to stick around with someone that acted sketchy and didn't speak than someone that was younger than me, lol.

• Like 2

The silent assassin. I have played along a few non chat types aslong as I get something typed now and then to ensure we still have a bond going I'm good with it. Don't worry about people viewing you as young if they have a problem just kill them.

I'm 15, and I've never had a problem with people calling me a "Kid" in DayZ. My only problem is trying to be "Tactical" in ArmA 3 (using ShacTac's identification system, giving orders, et cetera) sounds cliche and stupid. I want to slap the OP every time I read "So I was checking my six..." when they make a post.

I'm also 200% more likely to shoot someone around the age of 20 or younger.

On most servers, everyone is respected equally in my experience. Take Balota Buddies; one of the super-admins on the server is 14 (Inception).

I'm 15

Same here.

I want to slap the OP every time I read "So I was checking my six..." when they make a post.

Same here.

• Like 1

Being a youngster is awkward... you are opinionated and vocal, yet your voice is still high-pitched and squeaky... not a good combination.

Also, demanding full respect as a 14 year old is a little laughable... seeing as how you haven't done or accomplished anything yet, you're still just growing up. I mean I don't get why some people HATE youngsters, but I also don't treat them like equals, because frankly, you are not my peer or my equal.

So... what I'm getting at is, as a youngster, you shouldn't demand, or even expect any respect at all... but also you shouldn't give up and think the world is a shitty place... its just a shitty place for 12-18 year olds.

The whole social-anxiety thing about not using your microphone. I went through the same thing for over a decade... and I still don't enjoy talking on the mic, I just do it because it adds to the game, and its far more efficient than typing everything... and easier on your hands/wrist too (you'll see when you get older... Carpal Tunnel is a bitch).

My best piece of advice to you is this if you're going to use your microphone... and you DO need to know this... the slang of your age-group SUCKS. No one wants to hear that TXT-speak over the mic... as in: "OH-EM-GEE This gun is tots-ab-fab". Your generation sound like a bunch of stuttering retards stuck in a spelling bee when they start speaking in slang. No adult that is worth anything wants to hear that bullshit internet slang, especially SPOKEN by a 14 year old dumbass (sorry, as a 14 year old, you are a default dumbass, no matter how high your grades are... its about life experience).

I know everything I just said sounds mean and harsh.. but its reality for most adults. We're too old for that childish slang shit, and most adults haaaaaaaaaaate the way adolescent voices sound... especially during stressful times. If I had a 14 year old scream over the mic and getting all excited, I'd shoot you just for the peace and quiet.

Also... and this one is purely a personal gripe... I fuckin' hate it when people say stupid shit like Broheim, Broseph, Broham, Brah, and any variation on the word Brother, Bro, or Bros. It's bad enough to have to read that bullshit, but when some douchey teenager keeps saying that shit over the mic, I reeaaaaaaaally wish sometimes we were in a REAL zombie apocolypse, because I'd murder everyone that ever said Broheim or Broseph or anything like that just out of principle.

That's sounds like good advice. I'm a pretty calm, quiet person. I don't get super excited over much of anything, and I don't text speak or use slang in a normal conversation(I think people who do sound, frankly, like complete idiots). My voice isn't chocolate rain deep, but I'm not a squeaker for sure. Any ways, I think you had the best advice.

• Like 1

On most servers, everyone is respected equally in my experience. Take Balota Buddies; one of the super-admins on the server is 14 (Inception).

Inception is fourteen? Darn, never knew. I'd expect him to be a lot older.

Inception is fourteen? Darn, never knew. I'd expect him to be a lot older.

Make that fifteen, it's his birthday today.

I would hope that your age isnt a hindrance to playing the game. I have met a lot of people in game over a wide age range and tbh age isnt really a factor if someone is going to be a douche or a tool.

Gaming has been around for a long time now and i think a game like DayZ attracts a very wide player base over all age ranges.

All i can advise is just be yourself and if someone gives you grief tell them in no uncertain terms where to go. And as long as you dont use the word "like" for every third word when talking i dont think most people wont judge you just based on age.

It might not save you from being shot though!

I don't like direct chat either. Something about giving a stranger the RL "Hi how are ya?"

that makes me feel like I'm on a dating chat line or an awkward first date.

Edited by taco241

As a 15 year old, I've never had a problem. Speaking through direct chat adds to the atmosphere, be it friendly or tense. Nobody has ever taken my age as an issue. Sure, I feel awkward sometimes speaking to a stranger on direct, and that either ends with us being friends, going our own separate ways, or a bullet one of our heads.

As a more "mature" player on the DayZ server, (I'm 44) I sometimes feel the same way (awkward) for mumble/direct chat/voip and feeling like "the old fart" playing around the kids. But then I remember that we're all here to have safe fun and whatever we do for a living, or if we're still in school or college, it doesn't really matter. Sure, if this were us meeting up for lunch it'd possibly be weird (maybe even illegal!) but we use avatars and those avatars level the "strength" variable. Does experience give an edge? Perhaps, if a player were in the military and doing life or death strategy day to day in the Middle East - no doubt! But the raw mass amount of time a younger player who might not have to go to a 10-hour work day to "bring home the bacon" can dedicate to playing & learnin/perfecting the DayZ elements has obvious advantages that also cannot be ignored.

I'd follow the cues of a thoughtfully experienced player, regardless of their age, everytime.

• Like 1

I've met people my age before, but half of them barely know any English. The majority of players on my server are Brazilian, bar a few admins and this creepy Canadian dude I once shared meat with. Out of all of them, none of them are the same age as me. Not even close. So I don't have a lot of people to relate to. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Edited by Cap'n

Don't feel bad OP. Sometimes I just want to be left alone to play the game without answering every other fellow player's inquiries. I know that this tends to freak some people out, even make them assume I am hostile simply because I will not reply. When in silent mode I am ok with the possible consequences. As for giving respect dependent on age, that is one of the more laughable concepts I have encountered. Respect is earned - no matter your age. Personally, I've run around DayZ with players of all ages, and have never had a problem with younger players - having origin in the centuries ago 1970's myself and offspring older than some of you here. Just be yourself.

Edited by Saethkept

How can you be 14. your profile pic is a scary black person.

you silly.

LOL you shared your *meat* with a canadian

I dont think someone is going to shoot you because of your age

That's one perspective.

Edited by Trizzo

How can you be 14. your profile pic is a scary black person.

you silly.

It's Terry Crews, the loudest actor in the world. Get your facts right.

LOL you shared your *meat* with a canadian

I killed quite a few goats to get that.

OP,

Don't be afraid to talk.

Age doesn't matter, it is how you act and say that is important: you can figure out quickly good players from dumb ones by seeing how they check a building before entering, whether they always run without stopping or check their six and sides, move predictably or not, how they negotiate an open field and so on.

So well before you enter in direct chat with them, you have already told them something.

If someone mocks you just because you have an high pitched voice, well... Would you want him to be squad partner?

_Anubis_