Dr. Goner

Earning Persistent Gear in SA

I fail to see how a tattoo can be compared to actual lootable tools and gear in any way.

Unless your tatto points North/deflects bullets/lights fires/can fly, it doesn't, in itself, hold any particularly advantageous traits.

The best I can picture it as is a form of recogntion. On "respawn", the player may be controlling a different avatar, but they'll most likely have the same face, or at least hold the same affiliations.

Personally I'd like to see an entirely fresh character on spawn. No gear, no tattoos/scars/beards (things which develop over time or show your age/experience). Just a randomly selected outfit made up of civillain casual clothing, followed by a pat on the back and away you go.

If skills are ever involved, they definitely shouldn't carry over between lives.

Giving more meaning to your character's life should be the target. Persistent ANYTHING devalues it almost entirely.

I guess it all depends on what that tattoos function is in the game. If it's purely cosmetic, you're right, it wouldn't be much different than our current ability to add glasses, beard etc.

If skills are ever involved, they definitely shouldn't carry over between lives.

Giving more meaning to your character's life should be the target. Persistent ANYTHING devalues it almost entirely.

Agreed. Life of character should be important tot "death".

Rocket is thinking about something adding skills that will make your character feel important and not just his gear. But no HUD and gamey stuff like that. You wont get any *ding* "You have leveled up! You can now do X/Y!" It will be more subtle. Say after fixing many many different car parts you will be able to do it better/faster or fine tune car parts. So next time you go to fix an engine or something, more options will appear that where no previously there. Of course there will be a chance that you break what you are trying to fix/add depending on your skill. This is later in development though, and also second hand info.

But R is very into making the character you have feel important to you and your mates, than just his gear.

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1