rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.4 Rolling Update (was 1.7.1.3)

I haven't been playing very long, but I think a couple good things have come out of the 1.7.1 patch. First, starting with very little equipment isn't too bad right now. Not perfect, as you seem pretty vulnerable to those that have found guns, but since you no longer have anything worth stealing at the start, they have no reason to kill you (beyond being jerks, but we can't fix that).

I'm glad they are trying to implement melee weapons. Clearly not perfect yet, and I think a few suggestions, like having a hatchet tool, and axe weapon aren't too bad, and seem like potentially easy fixes to problems like wood choping; there are options, and I hope they are also explored.

My main issue is that of zombie aggro. Having played 1.7, after a while, I found them to be not exactly challenging. The truth was, I felt crouch running could get me far too close to them, without any consequences. That being said, with the changes, I think the balance has swung too far the other way.

I've still been hit through walls, and I think I've seen zombies come through walls as well. With their old level of detection, this wasn't as bad, but when they can come from very far away, and keep spawning as you kill them, the difficulty pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. My preference right now, might be some sort of compromise between the new zombies, and 1.7. Perhaps keeping their increased range and damage for now, and increase their numbers a bit. I'm not sure what impact that will have on difficulty, but I think it's better than feeling like everything is left to chance, or having to crawl from cherno to the NWA to avoid detection.

I think zombies are seeing me through walls. I've died dozens of times trying to test this, (intentional, not a complaint) and I think I can safely say I'm drawing aggro from zed when there is no possible way they can have LOS. Perhaps they are hearing me through the walls? Also, it seems they can see/hear from really really far away now, but from what I've read of this thread, (don't have time to read all of it) Its been mentioned quite a bit.

Love the hack and slash weapons, I'm an old dead island guy.

Ok BroadSword' date=' explain this .... how are the rest of us supposed to TEST the patches and new updates when admins of the servers revert back to old version causing those of us trying to TEST the patches the same problems that the patches are supposed to fix because the admins are using server code that does not comply with the new patches?

What really needs to be done is everyone update to the new server code, let people test the new patches to the server code, report the bugs AND WAIT FOR ROCKET TO PUT OUT A NEW PATCH TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Not go back to the old code causing more confusion and problems.

[/quote']

yep, as it is the few servers that are (supposedly) up to date are constantly full

Two things that could use a fix. One I find that the shots don't get registered on PvP contact fast enough (regardless of ping, like after i deal a killing blow someone has to chance to still headshot me before he dies) and two (this is probably known) once I join a server I can now respawn as many times as I want within that server but if I hop onto another server after joining a previous server the game freezes on the load screen forcing me to close the entire program in order to join another server.

As for suggestions. I really like the stealth and sneak system in 1.7.0, the only issues I had with it was the fact I couldnt run away from zombies and they could still see through walls. I think the detection system was fair in it as now trying to run through big towns becomes really difficult and having to run througha building to un-aggro 10 zombies is kinda lame.

Last... rocket you are awsome

@4:20

You are not forced to play on older build version servers. You can keep your .4 version and play on servers that run that version. This does not interfere with continuing build stages. Each build stage and each Hive version reports to a separate db on the central file server, data still continues to flow to these to collect information.

The longer you play on a build the more bugs you find and report, but when a bug is so bad that it brings servers down there really is not much choice, bring the server down and wait for the next build or let it continue to crash the box and this does not help anyone.

Problem with that, Broadsword, is that what very few servers that are still running .4 are always full .... if you can actually find any that are .4.

And why is it that these few servers that are staying with .4 aren't having the server crash issue that you said happened to yours?

In my opinion we should start with one can of soda and maybe one can of beans ... That's it, No weapons, Bandage, Painkillers or Backpack etc.

Maybe tone the zombie vision sight down a little, Not as dumb as they where, It was too easy, But maybe half way between what it was before they where buffed and what it is now.

I dont know if this is a bug or a feature now but are the Zombies faster than before? I just lost my life running from a few and one of them knocks me out(i was just above 3k blood) and I get swarmed and eaten.

So is it safe to say the zombies win? I mean you cant out run them anymore. Whats the point in moving? lol Sorry, I just wanted to say "the zombies win".

I think you will find that many are, when a server crashes it quickly restarts. The fact that you are seeing very few servers running .4 just compounds what I have said. And it still does not help the server when people are ddos'ing the box by spamming the enter key to try and get on an already full server.

[FIXED] "Fus ro dah" melee (now should be the correct release files)

Love the Skyrim ref.

If you are wondering what he meant it's

Just tried what i reported before about picking up tools like axes, hunting knives, compass, etc. and having your other gear dropped from your inventory and in some cases deleted, when picking up a tool.

I just tried it on a server running 1.7.1.4 and it is still happening. Tried dropping a hunting knife and when i did so all my primary ammo and secondary ammo dropped from my inventory. For some reason the chemlights i was holding on to stayed though.

Hope ya get this worked out, I hate it.

Zombies should not continuously spawn around players. Infinite zombies which pop into existence before your eyes as fast as you drop them = obviously broken mechanic.

I kinda agree with Atojar,

Zeds now have spider senses which I find to be unrealistic. Previously they were too dumb, i could crawl over their feet without them noticing. So i'd say, have the line of sight, just turn it down a notch, just to make sneaking viable again.

I'd also suggest (if it isn't already) that zed's vision is also affected by player's outfit (something like visibility modifier i.e. 1 for civilian, 0.7 for camo, and say 0.3 for Guillie suit).

Otherwise fantastic game, and overall I like how taking away weapons changed group dynamic. I have still noticed frame-rate drops, although server loads and getting in is much more stable.

Keep up the great work.

MOD IS GOING DOWNHILL!! MOD IS GOING DOWNHILL!!! the fkin axe..... THE AXE the melee weapons are an insult to arma2 THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY MELLE WEAPONS IN AN ARMA2 GAME it looks so horrible and plays so horrible omg this so so disgusting im not playing anymore...

i feel like im being legitimately trolled with these dumb updates with no weapons and really dumbass melee weapons. like seriously this is embarassing to arma2 itself...

Switching into camo from civilian clothing resets the debug monitor's zombie and headshot count. Quite possibly murders and bandits killed too.

MOD IS GOING DOWNHILL!! MOD IS GOING DOWNHILL!!! the fkin axe..... THE AXE the melee weapons are an insult to arma2 THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY MELLE WEAPONS IN AN ARMA2 GAME it looks so horrible and plays so horrible omg this so so disgusting im not playing anymore...

i feel like im being legitimately trolled with these dumb updates with no weapons and really dumbass melee weapons. like seriously this is embarassing to arma2 itself...

Ok cool, lets move on... nothing to see here.

Aggro is way way way too sensitive now. Whatever it was before was better. I get aggro'd from across town now.. why would 5 tabs of vis just for kneeling be fun? I like the no guns and stuff on spawn.. the night mechanics seem fine now with the flashlight.

It is just too much to have zombies seeing you from a mile away when kneeling, no weapons at start, still getting hit and chased through walls, and possibly getting 1 shotted or bleed/knocked out.. with every swing. Stop making such drastic changes at one time. Went from almost a perfect balance, to broken in 2 days lol.

There also appears to be an invisibility bug. My mate was invisible, We were talking on skype and he was infront of me; Logging out and back in sorted it. Somebody (Can't remember his name) was abusing it and nearly killed me.

Just something to look into.

My test results for 1.7.1.4

(I made absolutely sure I was on a server that was running the right version)

-Sight/sound bars have gone crazy! 5 bars for crouch running in certain instances.

-Zombies no longer seem to lose you, they seem to see through walls as they re-aggro'd me inside a building several times while I was crouch walking out of LOS.

-Idle zombies that have by chance broken LOS cause massive performance problems. FPS quagmire. Another player had fired a gun and ran, 7 zombies went to investigate causing abysmal frame rates.

-Zombies no longer lose you + Sight and sound bars going crazy = action game. Sprint, shoot shoot shoot, sprint, shoot shoot shoot. Intentional?

-Hatchets are very difficult to drop. The conditions required are a bit of a mystery, as right clicking/drop hatchet did not seem to work until I had moved around a bit and had removed my primary M16 out of my inventory completely.

Overall I have enjoyed 1.7.1.1 the most, as performance was consistently good, the zombies were slightly more alert than 1.7 but shake-able.

I think it might not be a bad idea to have zombies gain interest in a spot instead of identifying a player's location when they hear someone. The zombie AI should be changed so that sound will attract zed, but only a direct LOS with a player will make them attack.

I can see where you're going with this idea and I couldn't agree with you more. The zombies slowly migrating towards the sound source but not attacking the skillful survivor avoiding the zombies line of sight. Only thing is, this is not the "Bug Reporting" section (sorry I had to say it).

the patches put out are pretty poor even at alpha stage.

and removing guns at spawn? the stupidest thing ever to happen in this mod and has ruined it for me to be honest.

Rocket' date=' I got 2 small suggestions.

1) You should make the hatchet go back in the utility slot, and from your inventory you can right click it to chop / harvest wood like you use to normally, or you can right click it to equip it as a melee weapon.

2) you should do the same thing with the crowbar

[/quote']

^^ this is the reason I will always sift through all the replies.

what? sift through them?

do you like honest critisism?

My test results for 1.7.1.4

(I made absolutely sure I was on a server that was running the right version)

-Sight/sound bars have gone crazy! 5 bars for crouch running in certain instances.

-Zombies no longer seem to lose you' date=' they seem to see through walls as they re-aggro'd me inside a building several times while I was crouch walking out of LOS.

-Idle zombies that have by chance broken LOS cause massive performance problems. FPS quagmire. Another player had fired a gun and ran, 7 zombies went to investigate causing abysmal frame rates.

-Zombies no longer lose you + Sight and sound bars going crazy = action game. Sprint, shoot shoot shoot, sprint, shoot shoot shoot. Intentional?

[/quote']

These. I hope rocket fixes those problems ASAP. It is a little bit frustrating that the zombies can spot you from a mile away. Even when you are croutching or inside a building.

Ok cool' date=' lets move on... nothing to see here.

[/quote']

yup some mad person can't play a game . well then i love my AXE and will use even more.don't you think you are trolled forum with you saying " trolled with these dumb updates" ? lol they are for our good later on we are the alpha or beta testers for final vers in A3 so WTF its yours problem , well i think i need to say that go back play COD or even more fun BF3 with pay to win premium .

taking out the makarov made sense' date=' because not everybody in the world have a gun inside his house, i get it.... but the zombies with death meat bodys really got to have superman senses? (exagerating i know...) please it was awesome on 1.7.1, i don't want stupid zombies around, but zombies with heartbeat sensor is too much...

(sorry if i offend somebody, somehow with this commet)

[/quote']It's not the Makarov itself.

It's the combination of endless zombie-chase, very fast zombie-spawn, "super-senses" and not having a spawn weapon to defend yourself with.

i know zomba, i would not say that if was the makarov itself. i loved the idea of took the weapon from the spawn, i was happy that i would have to search for a way to defend myself, cause thats its the FIRST thing you would do in a situation where your life is danger (+ Reality and simulation point) i only said about the makarov because i saw people asking it back... the only thing that i'm saying it was bad, was what you said "the combination of endless zombie-chase, very fast zombie-spawn, 'super-senses'[...]"