Sign in to follow this  
Dbrow

A Few Suggestions

Hello DayZ Forum,

I have a few suggestions that I think may benefit the mod, or perhaps the standalone game once released. Please forgive me if these suggestions have already been made, I have searched to no avail however, so I did try to look before posting. Without further delay, here are my suggestions:

​Weapon Maintenance

I feel as though maintaining your weapon should be a part of the game. For example, if you pick up an old shotgun from a barn, chances are it may not function all too well if it's been sitting there for a while. Guns found in the dirt could be dirty and jammed. Over use could cause frequent jamming or misfire. Diving around in sand and mud could do the same. (some) Weapons brought into and submerged in water will not function right out of the water, and will need time to dry. A simple mechanic to repair and maintain your weapon would add some dynamic to the game. You could use the toolbox and some scrap metal to just keep it in shape.

Fatigue

If I could run as far and as fast in real life as my character did in DayZ, I would be Usain Bolt. I have sprinted upwards of five miles straight in full gear without stopping. I would like to see some sort of fatigue mechanic, which limits how long you can sprint depending on how much gear you have, your weapon, the conditions, etc. No one can stay up forever, perhaps resting you character? Requiring them to sleep?

More Realistic Combat

I am not one to say what is 'realistic' or not in combat. I have never served in the military or been in a firefight. However, I feel as though the combat in this game is a bit... wonky. For example, when shooting someone in the torso with an 5.56 bullet, four times, how are they still able to stand? How can they accurately pull off shots and hit me? Even when I get shot, it doesn't feel as though I'm actually getting shot. I can sprint to cover right afterwards, still be able to shoot, etc. For example, look at this video:

at time marker 15:34. The player shoots another player 10 times, and he is still able to move around and shoot him. How come he doesn't fall to the ground? It just seems so fake. Look at Red Orchestra 2, and how realistic it is in terms of getting shot. Maybe take some mechanics from that?

More Melee

Not enough in this department. Also seems a little lacking. If I'm 6 inches away from a zombie, how does my axe not hit him? It seems as though I need to be the perfect distance away in order to hit someone, about 2-3 feet. A little more thought into this area would be nice

Bind The Surrender Key Automatically

Most people don't know there is a command you can use to put your hand on your head in this game. By binding this key automatically and making players aware of this, perhaps there will be more chance of capturing or interrogating a player rather than kill on sight. As dropping your weapon take some time, and may lead you to represent a false hostility toward another player.

Increase Rarity of Weapons

I may not be alone in saying that a military base would not be so easy to get into, even during a zombie apocalypse. The military bases in the game are too easy to get into. Simply find them, get into the barracks, and take an AS50. I would like to see these weapons be more rare, or the bases harder to get in to. I also doubt these military bases would have these weapons laying around, with ammo, just waiting to be picked up. It would make the game more dynamic if most of the shootouts were done with revolvers and shotguns, rather than a silenced M4, M240, AS50 and Barret 50. Cal Sniper Rifles. I doubt the average survive would even know how to operate these weapons, let alone be able to fire them so accurately at long ranges, or control to recoil so well. (Or sprint with a 30lb weapon so quickly)

Some Sort of Currency?

Just another idea that popped into my head. Perhaps this could encourage trading? Perhaps it would be better to stick with just bartering, but just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. With that, encourage trading by making it easier to trade with other players!

Infections (non zed)

If you get caught, shot, stabbed, etc. the wound will infect if not treated properly. Perhaps incorporate this into the game? Make those antibiotics that are so 'valuable' more useful.

​More sophisticated zeroing

Any old Joe Shmo can pick up a scoped rifle, estimate the range, change the zeroing to that distance, and take a shot. However, I would like to see people having to take windage, humidity, coriolis effect, and other factors into account when trying to 'snipe' someone at long ranges. This will make the all godly AS50 seem a little bit less useful unless you take the time to practice.

User Created Missions

I may be taking an idea from....gulp...forgive me from bringing this name up.....WarZ....but I think user created missions would be interesting. For instance, if someone needs to 'take care' or someone else, they can put up a hit on that person in exchange for gear. Or perhaps someone needs a ride, etc. Like a DayZ Craigslist, cause you never know when to trust someone, but hey, you can try.

More Everyday Vehicles

I think we would see more Carollas and Civics on the road during a zombie apocalypse than HumVees and Helicopters.

Water Purification

I would never drink water gathered from a stagnant source such as a pond or lake without purifying it first. I understand there is soda and stuff, but the canteen that gathers water should have to be purified. Simple enough, add purification tablets to the game and make the player add them to the water they collect. Or make them boil the water at a fire place. A player could drink unpurified water, but risks the chance of getting sick, same as eating uncooked meat. Simple.

Make Night Vision (NVG) Extremely Rare

This is to try and get people to play at night, and also to get people to use the flashlight! This would make the game so much more immersive, especially at night. Flashlights are never used, simply because everyone either owns NVG's or just turns their Gamma and Contrast all the way up. It's a shame, as playing at night is a terrifyingly amazing experience. This is only the starting point to getting more people to play at night, but at least it's a start. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Player Created Ghillie Suits

Make players create their own ghillie suits and have them whether and damage over time. Everybody and their mother has a ghillie suit in DayZ, it gets annoying. If someone really wants a ghillie, instead of just picking it up, have them gather leaves and bark and hay, along with string and other supplies and have them craft their own ghillie suit. And the longer they wear it, the more worn it becomes, and soon becomes unusable, and they would need to create a new one.

I think that is all for now, I will update if I think of anything else

Thanks!

-Dbrow

Edited by Dbrow
  • Like 3

Great ideas dude. Post your cell phone number, EA and Valve can't connect with you.

I like everything but the weapon rarity, and the currency. Other than that they're great ideas; some mentioned before, but that just shows how great the ideas are.

Great ideas dude. Post your cell phone number, EA and Valve can't connect with you.

Not quite sure what you mean there

Adding another one:

Water Purification

I would never drink water gathered from a stagnant source such as a pond or lake without purifying it first. I understand there is soda and stuff, but the canteen that gathers water should have to be purified. Simple enough, add purification tablets to the game and make the player add them to the water they collect. Or make them boil the water at a fire place. A player could drink unpurified water, but risks the chance of getting sick, same as eating uncooked meat. Simple.

All great suggestions! I really think some of these will be implemnted into the Standalone.

A agree on most of them and most of these you suggested have been confirmed in SA.

Some Sort of Currency?

Just another idea that popped into my head. Perhaps this could encourage trading? Perhaps it would be better to stick with just bartering, but just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. With that, encourage trading by making it easier to trade with other players!

I don't agree here. Nothing has more value than items in this game. If the monetary system collapses then the value of different items will only be measured in other items. Example: Lee Enfield= 2 Macs etc.

User Created Missions

I may be taking an idea from....gulp...forgive me from bringing this name up.....WarZ....but I think user created missions would be interesting. For instance, if someone needs to 'take care' or someone else, they can put up a hit on that person in exchange for gear. Or perhaps someone needs a ride, etc. Like a DayZ Craigslist, cause you never know when to trust someone, but hey, you can try.

There will be a note system in SA where you can write whatever you want (if you have pen and paper) and stick that piece of paper somewhere where someone might see it. This will open up a huge range of possibilities.

I may not be alone in saying that a military base would not be so easy to get into, even during a zombie apocalypse. The military bases in the game are too easy to get into. Simply find them, get into the barracks, and take an AS50. I would like to see these weapons be more rare, or the bases harder to get in to. I also doubt these military bases would have these weapons laying around, with ammo, just waiting to be picked up. It would make the game more dynamic if most of the shootouts were done with revolvers and shotguns, rather than a silenced M4, M240, AS50 and Barret 50. Cal Sniper Rifles. I doubt the average survive would even know how to operate these weapons, let alone be able to fire them so accurately at long ranges, or control to recoil so well. (Or sprint with a 30lb weapon so quickly)

There will be high powered rifles (don't know about .50s) and assault rifles in SA but they will be VERY rare.

Gotchya. Sorry if most of these have been posted, I'm not really up to date on the SA, as I have been in away at school, and haven't been able to play as much. I did a quick search on these suggestions to no avail, so I posted. Thanks for the input, the more I think about it, the more I know currency will be a horrible idea. Barter is the way to go.

• Like 1

Can it be that most of you guys who suggest to make weapons way more rare just use to play a lot on private hives? Btw, I never found an AS50 in barracks.

And if you make it to hard to get into those military bases, lets say you just have 2 or 3 entries, gues where all the AS50 dudes are waiting...

Besides of that, there are some very sexy ideas.

Edited by Ken Bean

Hi DayZ Forums.

I've peen pondering more suggestions and ideas and many have been already suggested and that's great. I actually just found out that there is a way to boil and purify water in the game as of right now.

My next idea is to try and figure out a way of getting more people to play at night.

I've been on packed servers 50/50 people, but as soon as night falls around, that number drops to 3/50.

The only suggestion I have to this so far is:

This is to try and get people to play at night, and also to get people to use the flashlight! This would make the game so much more immersive, especially at night. Flashlights are never used, simply because everyone either owns NVG's or just turns their Gamma and Contrast all the way up. It's a shame, as playing at night is a terrifyingly amazing experience. This is only the starting point to getting more people to play at night, but at least it's a start. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Any other ideas, let me know!

Hi DayZ Forums.

I've peen pondering more suggestions and ideas and many have been already suggested and that's great. I actually just found out that there is a way to boil and purify water in the game as of right now.

My next idea is to try and figure out a way of getting more people to play at night.

I've been on packed servers 50/50 people, but as soon as night falls around, that number drops to 3/50.

The only suggestion I have to this so far is:

Any other ideas, let me know!

Flares and Chemlights all the way, is pretty cool in my feel. I don't like the Flashlight since you can't hold it straight while running.

NVGs atm can only be found on heli crash sites and are extremely rare, but rather cool. I think most people just don't know how to use chemlights or feel not very safe with. That's being said, I wouldn't run accross a growded server with a flare anyway. Since flares shine extremely far, I like having night times with almost empty server.

Once I run on a pretty dark night through the open on a server with maybe 3 player and somehow I crossed the way of another player without seeing anything. I just heard the foodsteps and breathing. We probably missed us 10 metres or so, which was a very nice thill. Wouldn't have shot him but he dsconnected anyway. As I could have had a NVG, I really comprehend the disco. If you are blind while the other may see everything is quite a disturbing feeling.

Edited by Ken Bean

I guess maybe it was due to duplication of items, but I have seen upwards of 20 people on a server at the same time with NVG's, not necessarily "rare" in that case haha. I love the flashlights that are connected to weapons, because you can walk quick and still hold it steady. I have not used chemlights too often, but it all comes down to just making people want to play at night more.

I prefer green or blue chemlights. Just throw them and pick them up, they light a close radius around you a pretty long time while they shouldn't be seen very far. Very usefull inside buildings to find the loot. So yeah, night is fun, but shhh, don't tell anyone. ;D

Edited by Ken Bean

Got another one

Make players create their own ghillie suits and have them whether and damage over time. Everybody and their mother has a ghillie suit in DayZ, it gets annoying. If someone really wants a ghillie, instead of just picking it up, have them gather leaves and bark and hay, along with string and other supplies and have them craft their own ghillie suit. And the longer they wear it, the more worn it becomes, and soon becomes unusable, and they would need to create a new one.

Love these ideas, I love night time it's so much more fun except for people who turn their brightness & contrast all the way up..

People also don't like night servers because of how long the darkness lasts.

I think the transition from day to night should be significantly shorter so that instead of leaving night servers they'll stick around and just wait for the sun to come up.

Edited by Lordsarito

As mentioned before, these are good ideas.

In what relates to trade, (ok barter,) the big issues are:

1 To formulate a method of establishing trust between the two parties, long enough to trade.

2 To have an easier trade interface.

1 If you have a buddy to cover your behind while trading, things are easy. If not, we could perhaps have the option to rig ourselves with explosives, turning the cheating option into a lose-lose situation. (Other applications for this come to mind ;) ).

2 Obviously direct communication does the trick in establishing what you are willing to give and take, but perhaps having an extra button that would link the two parties' invenories with a third "bridge like" one would make the exchange easier and faster?

Edited by Wisper

I fail to see how the ability to create ghillie suits will fix the problem of players having too many ghillie suits.

Most all these suggestions seem good.

Bind The Surrender Key Automatically

As long as I can delete the key... never surrender, never comply, Gews does not negotiate with terrorists!

• Like 1

I fail to see how the ability to create ghillie suits will fix the problem of players having too many ghillie suits.

In terms of difficulty. Perhaps a player would be less likely to go through the trouble of finding plants, brush, hay, leaves, etc to make the ghillie suit. It would be time consuming and dangerous.

I hope they are going to throw a lot of other cool skins in, so the ghillie might be less frequent worn. But besides of that, is it a huge problem that people wear ghillie suits?

dude fuck off