Sign in to follow this  
NeptuneHydro

Bandits vs Survivors (We should change our mindset..)

Yesterday, I killed a guy i saw. He was sneaking through a field, not trying to be seen, but i still did spot him. Without warning, i sniped him. I could see him panicking, as i shot the final bullet into his back. He lay there bleeding and died. And i felt truly awful.. I really did. I though, what if it were me, and he were the sniper? He logged before i even got to say anything.. and it's haunted me. Because i went over and found really the best of every item available, you could just tell he'd been alive for well over 30 hours.

When i first played DayZ a few weeks ago, it was a load of people working together, the odd bandit here and there but with teamwork, they were always outdone and got killed. NOW? It's bandits everywhere, and they don't even work together, they just sit there sadistically mowing down the fields with snipers and what not.

I've been alive for somewhere around the 15-20 hour mark. In that time I've cheated death way more many times than i should've, and i feel it coming back for me, i just hope, i pray it's not by some random mindless idiot with a sniper perched half the map away with NVG, to me who poses no threat, just so they can feel like they're fulfilling their enjoyment without caring what they've really just done or the repercussions, and the fact they're probably a COD fan boy.

Think about this.. those of you who get killed after working for so long to get to where you are, when you die, do you just go 'fuck it, im going to just PK the server'? You do, don't you..? Why? For vengeance? Because you just 'don't care'?

Now think about EVERYONE else who plays, if they all died, wouldn't everyone be going around just PKing? What's the point of playing DayZ? Why not just go Play COD? because if everyone's just out to kill each other, aren't we no better than the zombies?

It's bandits i don't understand. The ones that go around just gunning down anything and anyone that moves just because 'they felt like it'.

I would have honor in being killed by zombies, pride, it'd feel like it's meant to be, and that i'd be at peace because i knew i'd done all i can to FIGHT to survive. But what chance do you have when some COD fanboy decides you're a target and empties a clip into you for NO real beneficial gain?

Sure "OH BUT I NEEDED YOUR SHIT BRO" WELL WHY NOT EFFING HAVE SAID SO AND WE COULDVE WORKED SOMETHING OUT?!?! It's degrading the over all life of DayZ, knowing that at all times you're GOING TO BE HUNTED FOR YOUR BEANS. and you dont even have a say in it.

I know people do what they can to survive, but for real guys, atleast have some scrap of dignity and honour in atleast LETTING the person know you're scoping them, and if they react accordingly by clearly trying to kill you or run, when you're in the upper-hand, maybe then follow-on. but seriously, we need to give people a chance.

Some of the best moments ive had in DayZ was with other people working together. I've not seen that kind of time for a while, it's all mindless killing now. I'm always well clear of any city and major towns are just asking for it, but i really think people should be more sensible.

I know.. "It's just a game" but it's a damn good mod, i think we owe it to the contiuation of the quality of gameplay and especially to the devs to act more sensible, more noble and adopt a little more COMMON EFFING SENSE.

what the fuck...... honor and dignity? so what.. are we supposed to walk 10 paces turn and shoot? do you think any soldier in real life cares about a fair fight anymore? no.. its kill or be killed, dont like being alone? make some friends

quit being a carebear, if you dislike pvp then this game isnt for you

Yes, your constructive and ever so insightful input was of much value and contribution. /facedesk.

not going to waste my time putting together a long argument for why your crying is clearly idiotic

"guys before you kill someone.. let them know you are about to do it"

Damn some people have no sense of nuance. He's eloquently pondering the act of taking a life and what it meant or means to him and you're devolving it to a "YOU HATE PVP CAREBEAR LOSER" thread.

Personally, I don't like killing survivors. If I have to stop them, I'll put a round through their legs. Maybe one more until they give in. That's only if they're about to run straight into the rest of my group.

I quite liked the way he put it, pretty cool that a mod can invoke emotion other than "U SUX CAREBAER LOOSR LULZ!!1!" well put.

I'd have to say I've also noticed since starting that the co-op forming into groups to explore thing that attracted me to the mod seems to be mainly clans/organised group with the rest just killing everyone on sight. Was more friendly a few weeks back. So yeah feel free to call me a carebear pvp hater as well if you want.

Sa'll good.

Damn some people have no sense of nuance. He's eloquently pondering the act of taking a life and what it meant or means to him and you're devolving it to a "YOU HATE PVP CAREBEAR LOSER" thread.

Personally' date=' I don't like killing survivors. If I have to stop them, I'll put a round through their legs. Maybe one more until they give in. That's only if they're about to run straight into the rest of my group.

[/quote']

did you read the second half?

"if they all died, wouldn't everyone be going around just PKing? What's the point of playing DayZ? Why not just go Play COD?"

"It's bandits i don't understand. The ones that go around just gunning down anything and anyone that moves just because 'they felt like it'."

"But what chance do you have when some COD fanboy decides you're a target and empties a clip into you for NO real beneficial gain?"

"Sure "OH BUT I NEEDED YOUR SHIT BRO" WELL WHY NOT EFFING HAVE SAID SO AND WE COULDVE WORKED SOMETHING OUT?!?! It's degrading the over all life of DayZ, knowing that at all times you're GOING TO BE HUNTED FOR YOUR BEANS. and you dont even have a say in it."

"atleast have some scrap of dignity and honour in atleast LETTING the person know you're scoping them, and if they react accordingly by clearly trying to kill you or run, when you're in the upper-hand, maybe then follow-on. but seriously, we need to give people a chance."

lol.. lance if you read past the title you would see that he has some good points. he wasn't "crying" about anything, so i guess you are the idiotic one.

I think a way to make this viable would be to have roleplay servers, where you can't just random deathmatch. there can still be bandits but they would have to have reason for killing, i.e supplies or weapons.

I don't think they should have to announce that they are about to kill you though, it would be "gentlemanly" for them to say it and tell you to "leave you pack on the ground and leave, i have a sniper trained on you" or something, and i'm sure some people would do things like that, but in most cases you are going to get shot and then robbed and that is ok. roll in a group if you want more safety, bandits don't group up most of the time and usually won't engage a group of people.

Isn't it obvious why there are bandits in the game and why they do what they do.

Some players just get so much kick from killing other ppl. And it's possible in the game ergo ppl do it.

Some might do it cos they have had enough of the previously mentioned kind. Some might do it out of boredom.

The game allows it. Nothing you can do about it atm. And i am not saying that the PvP aspect should be removed, cos it shouldn't.

There would have to be some intuitive reason not to kill every moving thing in the mod. At the moment there really aren't that many good reasons not to do this. But there are actually valid reasons to shoot first, ask questions later. It is "kill or be killed"-mentality loopback that is on the run atm...

Having DC be 100% usable will help alleviate the problems, since it humanizes other players and doesn't play like some banal deathmatch. I am a bandit skin with low humanity, but I like to help players and cooperate when I can, I usually carry a blood pack for this very reason, because I think player interaction is FUN. There can and will be (due to inevitable necessity) mechanics to promote cooperation and not angsty 15 year old death match.

I think something like a "civilization" meter for the server would be something good. Server-wide bonuses, like power-plants becoming repairable to light streets and better boat spawns etc, if there is a low amount of player murder. But high amounts of player murder will prevent fortifications from spawning and power plant use and vehicle spawns and other cool rebuilding of civilization perks.

-Some people just wants to watch everything burn.

-Some people just wants to hug everyone/everything.

Are you all dumbas*es? Not many people "CRICRI" when they tell you about Bandit vs survivor. They're just as annoyed as me because more and more are becoming bandits. Yesterday i played, and i experienced lots of stuff. SSurvivors shooting eachother at military camp (i killed the guy that started it all) ran abit back, but got shot in the side by a camper bandit.

From that moment i got so pissed i started hunting bandits, and helping survivors. I actually ran to the centre of elektro, in a flared area where a survivor was hunted by like 10 zombies. I pretty much ran in (as bandit skin, since i had to defend myself once or twice) and pellet-killed every zombie and bandaged him. He thanked me and asked me if i needed food or anything.

^^^^^^ This is how i want this game to be, people trying to save eachother, trade and other things. Its of course its supposed to be PvP in the game. But when bandits actually tell me that they dont even care about loot anymore, and just kill for the fun, its starting to get bad.

Are you all dumbas*es? Not many people "CRICRI" when they tell you about Bandit vs survivor. They're just as annoyed as me because more and more are becoming bandits. Yesterday i played' date=' and i experienced lots of stuff. SSurvivors shooting eachother at military camp (i killed the guy that started it all) ran abit back, but got shot in the side by a camper bandit.

From that moment i got so pissed i started hunting bandits, and helping survivors. I actually ran to the centre of elektro, in a flared area where a survivor was hunted by like 10 zombies. I pretty much ran in (as bandit skin, since i had to defend myself once or twice) and pellet-killed every zombie and bandaged him. He thanked me and asked me if i needed food or anything.

^^^^^^ This is how i want this game to be, people trying to save eachother, trade and other things. Its of course its supposed to be PvP in the game. But when bandits actually tell me that they dont even care about loot anymore, and just kill for the fun, its starting to get bad.

[/quote']

thats what happens in an apocalypse

thats what happens in an apocalypse

And you know this how? You've been in one i assume?

Most people do not have a daddy induced urge to see and inflict misery on others (As someone said in another topic). Most people play ArmA for the cooperation.

The game practically wants us to kill other people. Why? There's a high chance of getting shot by people you come across. When you are in a group, you do not "need" other random people. Shooting other people gives the most rewards, no penalties, and it's the most fun.

If you are alone, I can understand why you'd want to wait it out, in the hopes that the other guy is friendly and wants to team up. But if you are in a group already, especially in a group on Team Speak, the risk is too high not to shoot other people that you do not know. If you are in a group with people you know, there's no reason to team up with other random people, who could potentially shoot you.

Like I said before, there's a very high risk of getting shot. So it's better to kill everyone you come across, because they will most likely try to kill you. If you are in a group, killing other people isn't really a problem, anyway.

Also, the game only seems to reward the bandits, not the innocent survivors. There's no penalty for killing other players, only rewards. On the other hand, there are many penalties for not shooting players, and little to no reward.

Besides, shooting players is fun and there's little else to do in this mod. For some people, that's reason enough to turn this mod into a deathmatch.

So really, there's little reason not to shoot other players. Maybe if the game gave us a reason not to kill everyone we come across... But until then, the game is setup in such a way that it promotes banditry, so expect others to kill you on sight.

Today I went to the NW airfield to rescue a friend who was bleeding out in one of the buildings. I had a Remington and a bunch of supplies that I worked hard to get (tons of food, water, blood packs, ammo, banocs, knife, matches, much more) and I saw a guy out on the strip. We were at a stand off and I decided instead of camping the stairs inside of the facility I would call out to him on direct chat and let him know that I didn't even want any loot at the airfield, and I was just here to rescue a friend.

He said "okay, I'm with 5 others." I felt like he could be lying but I wasn't 100% sure because I really just got a small glimpse of him before I retreated to my stair position. I said "okay, if you need anything let me know" and came downstairs. He came into view and said, "you see me?". "Yeah", I responded. At that point he shot me in the head and killed me.

I felt like an idiot for trusting him as I don't usually trust people. But because of the direct comm I felt like he was being honest and I was honestly just not wanting to be in this tense situation when we could just go about our ways.

I don't blame the guy for shooting me, I was in a very contested area, but there was still that part where I felt slightly let down.

It would be interesting if there could be a way to show that we're friendly besides not pulling a trigger during these situations. Like, maybe putting your gun away, and then having to actually draw your weapon before firing somebody. That way we could see the person go to draw via animation and then in response we could run to cover.

I will shoot someone and I won't be bothered by it at all. I have been killed one too many times by people acting friendly.

If I shoot them when I see them, I don't have to worry about them shooting me in the back later. I also get loot out of it.

Our group do not kill random players down South, but if you we find you near Stary S or the airfields up North we will try to take you down.

We started this after we found out the hard way that at Mil. Grade spawns people will shoot first and ask questions later.

I like these PvP hotspots.

My best DayZ experience was when our group was ambushed on the NW airfield. A real last man standing shootout followed.

The result, all in our group dead except one, but all the players in the ambush dead to. Best DayZ moment yet.

There's no consequence for killing, and there should be. I've actually been killed by way more new players than bandits.

*Dropkicks NeptuneHydro in the face and takes over*

Enough with the CoD references, it's the Internet's instant win button and the lowest possible argument one can present aside from "that's like something Hitler would do."

I had a vision of a central player-made camp where people went to be a part of something larger than themselves. I wanted a charismatic commander in charge with way too much time on his (or her) hands, dispatching recruits to scavenge whatever they could and veterans in choppers to help whoever encountered more than they could handle. There could be a vehicle depot, supply warehouses, hell even a damn swimming pool. I think what hurts the most is all of this is achievable in the game RIGHT NOW. It's just nobody seems interested in that level of coordination.

Also' date=' the game only seems to reward the bandits, not the innocent survivors. There's no penalty for killing other players, only rewards. On the other hand, there are many penalties for not shooting players, and little to no reward.

Besides, shooting players is fun and there's little else to do in this mod. For some people, that's reason enough to turn this mod into a deathmatch.

So really, there's little reason not to shoot other players. Maybe if the game gave us a reason not to kill everyone we come across... But until then, the game is setup in such a way that it promotes banditry, so expect others to kill you on sight.

[/quote']

Lots of reasons to help other players and it's quite rewarding too. By killing every stranger in sight, you're only getting the deathmatch experience out of the game, if everyone assumed the bandit mentality we might as well play Counterstrike. I'm not diminnishing the bandits role in DayZ, because without them, the only dangers we'd have to face would be climbing ladders.

While you get a great rush from a crazy firefight and potentially some loot, there's also intense moments to be shared, when meeting strangers and trading supplies. People are treacherous or desperate, survivors approach eachother with paranoia and you have to thread a fine line, because any misunderstandings can be conceived as hostility and before you know it, two scared carebears end up killing eachother.

I think friendlies and bandits complement each other perfectly.

-Bandits get to feel good about their pwnage, when they shoot nervous and gullible players in the face.

-Carebears gets to feel selfimportance, when they do a good deed for a scared stranger.

You are there to scare them, I'm there to help them, the awesome part is they don't know if they are approaching you or me.

Also' date=' the game only seems to reward the bandits, not the innocent survivors. There's no penalty for killing other players, only rewards. On the other hand, there are many penalties for not shooting players, and little to no reward.

[/quote']

Lots of reasons to help other players and it's quite rewarding too. By killing every stranger in sight, you're only getting the deathmatch experience out of the game, if everyone assumed the bandit mentality we might as well play Counterstrike. I'm not diminnishing the bandits role in DayZ, because without them, the only dangers we'd have to face would be climbing ladders.

While you get a great rush from a crazy firefight and potentially some loot, there's also intense moments to be shared, when meeting strangers and trading supplies. People are treacherous or desperate, survivors approach eachother with paranoia and you have to thread a fine line, because any misunderstandings can be conceived as hostility and before you know it, two scared carebears end up killing eachother.

I think friendlies and bandits complement each other perfectly.

-Bandits get to feel good about their pwnage, when they shoot nervous and gullible players in the face.

-Carebears gets to feel selfimportance, when they do a good deed for a scared stranger.

You are there to scare them, I'm there to help them, the awesome part is they don't know if they are approaching you or me.

But if I'm in a group with 6 guys who I can always trust, why should I risk my life and not shoot some random guy? A random guy who has nothing to offer me while he's alive. Plus, he might shoot me if I don't shoot first.

To be honest if I meet some one and they don't immediately run away I shoot, way to many times have I had some one be nice and shoot me, with a team i don't need extra hands so there is only the small chance of them getting in first or my aim being off as a down side. However if there is distance or they have not seen me they can continue on their way.

The difficulty here is that there is nothing at all that can be used to be certian that as soon as you say hello to some one they wont shoot you as soon as you turn away. The bandit clothing was a good start but due to self defense and general conflicts out side of backstabbing it looses a lot of its value it just needs to be refined some what, perhaps a friendly bond you can create (ie introduce your self) that if you then break that you loose humanity / become bandit.

This would give people the ability to feel some what secure with direct interactions, this bond should not carry over to new characters after death but the penalty should (much in the same way that humanity does now, but perhaps with out any buffer to start with). A cool down so you can cancel it tell the other person to go f**k them selves and walk away then 5 mins (of the other persons online time) later you can shoot them with out loss of humanity they get that time to move away / prepare them selves.

This would promote both conflict and cooperation.

I'm going to clear a lot of things up in a few words. AHEM...

For all you people who play the actual ArmA 2/OA. If you played multiplayer in a public server on a domination mission, teamwork can be messy and probably not even evident. If you played multiplayer with a community (eg. Shack Tactical, TG, UnitedOperations), teamwork is amazing and you feel more immersed within the game. Basically speaking, if you want cooperation in this mod without risking your naked butt talking to darn strangers asking if they are friendly, then sign up with a group you think suits you best. Better yet encourage your friends to play this game.

Sidenote: You guys want to kick bandit arse and change this situation then do what I advise you to do up there. I know it doesn't feel realistic to do this, but whining about it won't do much. You gotta make with what you got!