Sign in to follow this  
Ken Bean

More realism and player stats suggestions

Hi there,

of cause I have some suggestions as well. If some may already have been posted, please don't worry, I'm relatively new to the forums and may not have read every post which has been made. ;)

Food Conditions

Fresh, old and canned food can get foul by time. It regenerates not as much blood if old and can cause disease if expired. Water can get foul as well. One may need to boil or cook food a second time to avoid disease.

Progressive Stats

The longer you life, the better you adopt to the world. Meaning that you are getting slightly quieter, faster and accurate by time. Maybe you perception improves. Your ears and eyes may get better or worse, if your health is under good or bad condition (overall condition, not injuries).

The character may suffer various illnesses, based on body conditions, food conditions and such.

Your body need less or more food if you are healthy or ill.

Such stats could have an effect on Zeds only. It may only add to your survivability. I don't like the idea of having too much advantage in pvp situations.

Should sth like aiming or driving skills exists? For example that you are able to drive a car with less fuell consumption.

Dynamic Zed-Perception

Zeds can hear you better or worse depending on your skills and equipment. If you wear very silent boots and light equipment, they will have a harder time hearing you.

They also can spot you from different distances depending on your clothes, e.g. bright/dark/camo.

Protection

You'll find a variety of functional clothes, which may protect you against the weather and certain weapons, like knifes, bats or even pistols and light mgs. Such clothes can be various helmets, cevlar vests, bulletproof vests, reinforced jackets ... even rain jackets

Reloading

The reloading function [R] loads through your magazines instead of switching always to a full one. Combining Mags already is confirmed, so we may not need this, but it couldn't hurt if we get sth like this. Maybe an extra key binding?

Magazines and ammo types

Add an option to combine magazines of the same ammo type, so you can use mp5 ammo for the m9 and the other way round. Both use 9x19mm parabellum, so there's no reason not to use the the ammo for both. Also include more ammo types, like armor piercing, sd and hollow-point. Hollow-point (and sd) will not go through certain protection clothes but has a better impact on unprotected player or Zeds. What about craft-able ammo?

Stashes

Other opportunities to hide and save your gear should be given. Maybe it should be possible to even bury equipment in a way that it hardly might be found, if the spot is covered with herbage or something like that. In order to find someones stash one may need to observe other player. Kill on sight and you won't catch the big fishes. But it should also depend on the surrounding conditions, like shady places or vegetation. Maybe one should see that someone grubbed there for a few days until the spot is covered.

That's all for now, what do you think?

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 1

Food Conditions

Dayz is supposed to be just after the breakout of the disease that turns people into zombies, and canned food last LOOONG, people dont even know exactly for how long it lasts.

Progressive Stats

The longer you life, the better you adopt to the world. Meaning that you are getting slightly quieter, faster and accurate by time. Maybe you perception improves. Your ears and eyes may get better worse, if your health is under bad condition.

The character may suffer various illnesses, based on body conditions, food conditions and such.

Your body need less or more food food if he's healthy or ill.

Such stats could have an effect on Zeds only. It may only add to your survivability. I don't like the idea of having too much advantage in pvp situations.

Should sth like driving skills exists? So that you are able to drive a car with less fuell consumption.

This has been discussed before. I told it to them aswell.... Your character, you are not born when you log on. hes a grown man. And 5 days of holding a gun wont make you an assassin.

Dynamic Zed-Perception

Zeds can hear you better or worse depending on your skills and equipment. If you wear very silent boots and light equipment, they will have a harder time hearing you.

They also can spot you from different distances depending on your clothes, e.g. bright/dark/camo.

Protection

You'll find a variety of functional clothes, which may protect you against certain attack, like knifes, bats or even pistols and light mgs. Such clothes can be various helmets, cevlar vests, bulletproof vests, reinforced jackets ...

Reloading

The reloading function [R] loads through your magazines instead of switching always to a full one. Combining Mags already is confirmed, so we may not need this, but it couldn't hurt if we get sth like this. Maybe an extra key binding?

Magazines and ammo types

Add an option to combine magazines of the same ammo type, so you can use mp5 ammo for the m9 and the other way round. Both use 9x19mm parabellum, so there's no reason not to use the the ammo for both. Also include more ammo type, like armor piercing, sd and hollow-point. Hollow point will not go through sertain protection clothes. What about craft-able ammo?

Stashes

Other opportunities to hide and save your gear should be given. Maybe it should be possible to even bury equipment in a way that it hardly might be found, if the spot is covered with herbage or something like that. In order to find someones stash one may need to observe other player. Kill on sight and you won't catch the big fishes. But it should also depend on the surrounding conditions, like shady places or vegetation. Maybe one should see that someone grubbed there for a few days until the spot is covered.

That's all for now, what do you think?

As for the silent boots and varietys, i agree. muffled boots should be in the game :)

Diffrent armor to stop melee attacks etca are already in the SA, only silly looking motorcycle helmet but its something they intend to make a bigger aspect of game i think.

Combining mags would be easyest to do in gear menu in your inventory clicking RMB no?

Otherwise your suggestions are in interest of many of the other viewers of these boards aswell and im sure some of your wishes will come true :)

happy dayZ

• Like 2

Dayz is supposed to be just after the breakout of the disease that turns people into zombies, and canned food last LOOONG, people dont even know exactly for how long it lasts.

Yep, maybe fresh food like stakes will get out of date, but canned food will be usable way longer. Drawback, canned is not that heathy and doesn't add to your body overall conditions.

This has been discussed before. I told it to them aswell.... Your character, you are not born when you log on. hes a grown man. And 5 days of holding a gun wont make you an assassin.

I don't mean from start. I thought more into the direction of surviving long-term, maybe a month or so. You will have a progress in certain stats. At first your aming is not that good, but after you killed maybe 300 Zeds, you'll see an improvement and you will rise your skills a bit. Nor being a super assasin, but e.g. the time you are out of breath might get a little shorter or longer and so on. Depending on how your overall conditions are and what you have done. Run thousands of miles? Every day a marathon? --> More stmina. Getting used to Zomby bites? --> Thicker skin. ;D Things like that.

Such small things might be a good motivation to life longer and to not to take death too easy.

I'm glad to hear that many suggestions are already confirmed. :)

Edit

Typos, typos, typos

Edit

Maybe we need a condition table of each character, lets say

Stamina - inluences time out of breath, how many mele attacks can be done with what strength. How many bullets you can bring into the target without too much recoil, before things really get out of hand. The player may improve the values if he tends to move and run a lot, carrying heavy things. It may also influence how loud he is, how silent he can move.

Health - might be no absolute value. The player might be able to increase decrease it slightly by time, depending on what he eats.

Driving - improves if he drives a lot. Doesnt add to the stamina but driving skills. He needs less fuell, maybe is able to hold the car in better condition.

Aiming - infuences the ability to hit a target, the player is able to hold the weapon more calm - improved by many critical hits on zeds and player

Senses - how good/bad/far you see or hear things like shots or moving sounds from Zeds or other player. - This might be increase by time if you are very active at night. Influenced by overall body condition, eating healthy food in the lonh run.

Sneaking - how god/bad Zeds can hear you. This increases by time if you sneak a lot through public areas.

Maybe some stats influence each other. Lets say if you have ijuries, you get a malus on certain skills, but you can counter it if they are well trained.

... lots more?

Edited by Ken Bean

Yep, maybe fresh food like stakes will get out of date, but canned food will be usable way longer. Drawback, canned is not that heathy and doesn't add to your body overall conditions.

I don't mean from start. I thought more into the direction of surviving long-term, maybe a month or so. You will have a progress in certain stats. At first your aming is not that good, but after you killed maybe 300 Zeds, you'll see an improvement and you will rise your skills a bit. Nor being a super assasin, but e.g. the time you are out of breath might get a little shorter or longer and so on. Depending on how your overall conditions are and what you have done. Run thousands of miles? Every day a marathon? --> More stmina. Getting used to Zomby bites? --> Thicker skin. ;D Things like that.

Such small things might be a good motivation to life longer and to not to take death too easy.

I'm glad to hear that many suggestions are already confirmed. :)

Edit

Typos, typos, typos

Edit

Maybe we need a condition table of each character, lets say

Stamina - inluences time out of breath, how many mele attacks can be done with what strength. How many bullets you can bring into the target without too much recoil, before things really get out of hand. The player may improve the values if he tends to move and run a lot, carrying heavy things. It may also influence how loud he is, how silent he can move.

Health - might be no absolute value. The player might be able to increase decrease it slightly by time, depending on what he eats.

Driving - improves if he drives a lot. Doesnt add to the stamina but driving skills. He needs less fuell, maybe is able to hold the car in better condition.

Aiming - infuences the ability to hit a target, the player is able to hold the weapon more calm - improved by many critical hits on zeds and player

Senses - how good/bad/far you see or hear things like shots or moving sounds from Zeds or other player. - This might be increase by time if you are very active at night. Influenced by overall body condition, eating healthy food in the lonh run.

Sneaking - how god/bad Zeds can hear you. This increases by time if you sneak a lot through public areas.

Maybe some stats influence each other. Lets say if you have ijuries, you get a malus on certain skills, but you can counter it if they are well trained.

... lots more?

Though the idea of it might make people less willing to die or take risky chances, the reality of stats doesn't work well in DayZ. As stated countless times, Rocket wants the player himself/herself to adapt and not the in game character.

As far as your suggestion about Protection and Dynamic Zed Perception, SA will be incorporating this I believe. From what I've read and watched, it is to my belief that different clothing and gear will have different affects, protection, and roles. I'm not sure about whether or not different clothing and gear will make different noises, but it would be cool if it did.

As Serious Stan said, food conditioning wouldn't work well for canned foods. Meat on the other hand would. Would be interesting to see something like that in SA.

• Like 1

Arma is one of the most realistic game out today, and the DayZ SA is going to try to 'simulate' a zombie apocalypse. Critical hits on zombies because you have a certain skill set doesn't really make fit the game. In Arma, it takes skill to shoot at long distances, with or without optics. To make it even harder, there are rumors that bullets will be affected by wind. Taking shots at longer ranges will take much more effort, that being said finding a firearm in the first place should also be alot harder.

I don't think that you should have to learn a skill just to hit a target you were going to hit anyway. Bullets will hit their target when the target is within their effective range. There should be no reason why people shouldn't be able to hit those targets, or have a higher chance (Aided aiming) of hitting it because they have learned a skill. That being said, if you can't hit the target in the first place it's your own fault and you need to practice, or get closer to your target.

As for the 'Stamina' idea. You can be the fattest f*ck in the world, and if you know how to handle a weapon or have had formal training you can shoot it as good as anyone.

DayZ doesn't need skill sets like these, but it will have some in the standalone I believe. But in my opinion you shouldn't need a perk or skill to help you aim, if you can shoot well in the game then you shouldn't be limited in any way.

• Like 2

I see that only increasing your stats will make things easier only.

What about counter effects, to hold a balance?

Folks that tried knows that no one can run 40 km each day without serious side effects. So if you did, you'll face some serious handycaps, like getting slower and shaking more, being louder (besides of the pain).

Lets say you have some modifiers, lets take running speed for example.

Normal speed is 1.0. You can adjust the speed (like it is used with different weapons currently) by other conditions, like health, illness as well. Maybe there could be a maximum and a minimum of lets say 1.15 and 0.5. In this limits the speed can be modified by certain stats. If you run a lot, you need a recover phase to not overdo things. If you overdid, your speed might get slightly decreased. So you'd need to care about recover phases to find a healthy balance. -> You could push your values between 0.5 and 1.15 speed.

How about that? Similar could be used for aiming, health, sneaking and stuff. The point is, you are already influencing your stats by using different equipment. It could be extended by a deeper body health system.

Edited by Ken Bean

Lets imagine you found this new shoes. As longs as their condition is flagged “new” and if you run 5 km in that shoes, you have a chance to get blister on your feet, which slows you down maybe 15% for a whole week. If you can treat it with blistering plaster, you only suffer 5% for 2 days.

Edit

Lets say the Zombi sprint speed is 90%, due to their generally illness. Your general healthiness might be 102%. ---> 102% - 15% equals 86.7%. ---> They might get ya if your speed drops below 90% and if you don’t get away by tricking them around corners and bushes successfully breaking the line of sight. So if you have injuries, you not always just can run away. If in bad condition, you might be very careful or you must face the horde.

Edited by Ken Bean

I don't know about "leveling up". There would definitely be a lot of incentive to kill noobspawns just to get better at killing noobspawns.

Maybe stuff like endurance, weight and speed should be tweeked so you can't sprint flat out for 45 miles in a ghilie suit, full ALICE pack and 30 lb AS50 in your arms?

• Like 1

Maybe stuff like endurance, weight and speed should be tweeked so you can't sprint flat out for 45 miles in a ghilie suit, full ALICE pack and 30 lb AS50 in your arms?

People hate the fake stamina stuff, however my idea was make players have to eat and drink a lot more when they carry heavy loads. They'd have to go loot much more often and would have a realistic disadvantage.

• Like 1

You are going in the right direction, but many of these are already being put into the SA. The reason I say that is because if Dayz was like any generic zombie game, it would suck.

• Like 1

I don't know about "leveling up". There would definitely be a lot of incentive to kill noobspawns just to get better at killing noobspawns.

Yes, think you are right, think it shouldn't be rewarded to kill other player. So best would probably be to exclude player kills from leveling. Instead getting worse and worse humanity values, which should have drawbacks, e.g. not being liked in public places (maybe trading centers. Think I've heard sth like this.)

Like the idea of overpowered weapons should have a drawback, since it's really not that realistic carrying heavy equipment like the AS50 over huge distances with ease.

People hate the fake stamina stuff, however my idea was make players have to eat and drink a lot more when they carry heavy loads. They'd have to go loot much more often and would have a realistic disadvantage.

Yep, I certainly do as well. However I think an extented health system could be interesting. Maybe we even could have a additional bag for medical supplies only, with different meds, bandages, patches, eyepatches, balms or sth like that to tread various problems, like small injuries, blister, infections, swellings, broken bones, pulled muscles, bruises, having a could, fever ...

I think it should have an effect on your conditions. Maybe if you run too much, you may suffer blister and muscle problems so you have a small handycap. Many small problems could summarize to a bigger one.

The problem in having things too realistic is that one probably very soon may get the feeling, the the game handicaps you everywhere, which probably is not fun if it gets out of hand like running from one problem right into another in the very first 5 minutes. But at least a huge variety of various problems could increase the immersion after all. The player should be able to deal with almost all of them alone.

Maybe most injuries could heal automatically by time. Lets say that blister or pulled muscles heal 1% per hour. Or maybe 1 % the first hours and increasingly rising like an exponential function, greately boosted by medical supplies.

Edited by Ken Bean

Certain things should become easier with practice just like real life, but basic factors like physical fitness and perception should stay the same.

For example, field stripping an AK is much easier the third time than it is the first time, and field stripping an AK the fiftieth time is much easier than the third time. Trust me on this, first hand experience. Building a fire, fixing cars, etc. etc. should work like that. But running, jumping, shooting, sprinting, swimming, etc. aren't going to improve drastically in the timespan this game depicts.

• Like 1