Sign in to follow this  
Very Ape

Improvised bandages

Thanks to Beans King for this great idea, which I'd like to expand on.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I've ignored any other medical procedures in the examples. They can easily be integrated alongside improvised bandaging. Also, I wrote this rather quickly. Feel free to add on to the suggestion, see this more as a brainstorming thread than a 'final version.'

I want improvisation, so that I can drag my wounded buddy into a house and make a bandage out of bed sheets to wrap it around his leg to stop the bleeding. I think the SA will have this.

What if you could remove bed sheets to slow the bleeding of a dying friend? Imagine using household items to patch up your friend, in a fluid and intuitive way.

Here's how it could work:

Depending on how severe the wound, ie, how quickly the blood is draining from your body, you could use certain items to temporarily slow the bleeding. The equivalent of putting pressure on a wound, but hands-free.

This would not stop the bleeding (only in some cases, with minor wounds), but rather slow it, depending on the intensity of the wound.

example:

My teammate is shot in the leg, and is bleeding from an artery I drag him inside of a house, notice that I'm out of bandages. And so I run over to the bed and remove the bed sheet. It is then added to my inventory (using more space than a regular bandage.) I go over to my friend and select ''Bandage friend (bed sheet).'' Since this is a rather major wound, the blood would only slow somewhat, and the bed sheet would become unusable after a certain time.

But, let's say my teammate was clawed by a zombie, and his forearm is bleeding. I can use the bed sheet and it will stop the bleeding completely for some time. I would, however, need to find proper bandages.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 7

Maybe use the toilet paper to make makeshift bandages :P

• Like 1

This would be a welcome addition, and would fit nicely with the "whatever is necessary"-survival nature of DayZ.

I'd also like to see the ability to cauterize wounds at a campfire or hobo-barrel, to stop bleeding in a dire emergency or to destroy tissue and stop the spread of infection (if it comes to that).

• Like 2

You could even use an item (ie: bedsheet) and "craft" makeshift bandages or tourniquets for future use.

• Like 3

Maybe use the toilet paper to make makeshift bandages :P

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/126607-toilet-paper-first-aid/page__hl__%2Btoilet+%2Bpaper+%2Bbandage

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/130326-tolet-papre-bandages/page__hl__%2Btoilet+%2Bpaper+%2Bbandage

That idea is old, and people have explained before why it doesn't work. Bed sheets don't fall apart when they get soaked in blood.

You could even use an item (ie: bedsheet) and "craft" makeshift bandages or tourniquets for future use.

And there are going to be clothes as items in SA too.

So you could rip up your shirt to save your pal's life, or take the bandanna off the guy you were just fighting so you can quickly bandage your wounds.

That would be excellent! And it gives players a difficult choice in combat; do I have time to craft this into a proper bandage, or do I just strap it on the wound right away? If my teammate is quickly bleeding out, I might not have time to craft a real bandage.

And this suggestion isn't about toilet paper. Bed sheets, towels and certain clothing are the real focus, since they could be used as a bandage. Toilet paper is just ridiculous. When did I mention that in the OP?

The bed sheet doesn't even need to degrade or 'fall apart.' The fact that your wound will keep bleeding, just at a slower pace, will be incentive enough to get a proper surgical bandage or craft your improvised bandage into a slightly better makeshift bandage.

Edited by Very Ape

And this suggestion isn't about toilet paper. Bed sheets, towels and certain clothing are the real focus, since they could be used as a bandage. Toilet paper is just ridiculous. When did I mention that in the OP?

The bed sheet doesn't even need to degrade or 'fall apart.' The fact that your wound will keep bleeding, just at a slower pace, will be incentive enough to get a proper surgical bandage or craft your improvised bandage into a slightly better makeshift bandage.

:huh: I thought I was clearing that up.

:huh: I thought I was clearing that up.

Shit, I didn't even see that you were quoting someone else-- I'm sorry!

But, yeah, toilet paper would be a pretty ineffective bandage, unless you had a fucking lot of toilet paper.

Edited by Very Ape

You are welcome man, and sorry it took so long for me to reply, I am just really busy.

i love this idea but have one more thing to add, even an actual bandage should only stop bleeding for a certain amount of time from a gunshot. the shrapnel from a bullet could do a lot more damage than a simple cut. proper medical attention would be needed if the shot was not clean.

• Like 1

Both great ideas, I'll add them to the OP later!

Changing bandages, especially the makeshift ones, should be a must.

yes.....rags should be added too

having the use of molotovs and 'dangerous' bandages because some may be dirty some may be clean

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes!

People need to feel like they're actually making decisions-- improvising, if need be. As it is now, the medical system is just too 'gamey.' The clever survivor whose first instinct is to run into the bedroom to find a sheet, instead of immediately running across the city to find a hospital, should be rewarded. If you present enough possibilities, people will probably not consider all of them while under pressure.

Edited by Very Ape

I'd get my dog to lick it, they got anti-septic tongues i think.

Hello there

as was mentioned before

Tampons and Pads are great blood absorbers and hygienic too. Rags/towels/clothes/old bed linen etc are rife with gems.

Gotta watch for that secondary infection, folks!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Hello there

as was mentioned before

Tampons and Pads are great blood absorbers and hygienic too. Rags/towels/clothes/old bed linen etc are rife with gems.

Gotta watch for that secondary infection, folks!

Rgds

LoK

In the heat of the moment, I hope people will be forced to use the infected rag over the sterile bandage.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1