Sign in to follow this  
nikhilkdipsar

Which houses / Structures to be searched for quick loot ?

I am starting to enjoy dayZ but i am still afraid to go even in smaller towns where zombies are crawling and i dont have trees or hill to loose them. because I dont know exactly where to look for loot in that area. there are so many houses , some of them have shed that may contain some items and other not .. so whats the pro tip to identify which house is enterable and can provide loot / water.

I use some maps downloaded from intenet that shows some legends of important areas like hospitals , warehouses etc but they dont provide their exact location so it take me a lot of time to search for individual structure (as i am new to the map) and eventually gets killed by a zombie :P

also those custom maps dont show where are the sheds.

http://www.dayzdb.com/map this is a pretty darn good map. And if you want to identify them without the map then the general rule is if you can see through it's window you can loot it. But if you want to know exactly what they look like just press a few of the indicators on the map and you will get a visual of what they look like.
  • Like 1

Dude don't shortcut this, one of the best things for me to discover about the game is which buildings I should approach and which I shouldn't.

• Like 2

Myself, when Im in smaller villages, I look for the single level log cabins with the doorway in the center. Its different from the other log cabin type that usually has a wood pile and more of a "L" shape as opposed to the rectangle with the little atrium doorway in the middle. I usually dont worry about other loot spots, i.e.-dog houses, outhouses, sheds...as I want to get in and out of the place as quickly as possible.

If you have a hatchet, its super easy to run into the houses Im talking about and kill the Zeds you've picked up on the way in there.

Also on larger villages, look for the red bricked houses, they have 2 rooms and usually have good loot.

Always hit up Barns.

High value buildings are a different matter but I think your just asking about "normal" buildings.

Hope this helps :)

when i approach a house i cant enter them , i dont see the icon that i get while opening doors of warehouses even if i can see through its window.. am I doing something wrong here?

Tell you what... if you need a server that gives you a few things to start out with... try ours... Search MIAClan in DayZ Commander. We will help you get a better understanding of the map. The extra stuff gives you time to check things out and run around without the worry of hurting yourself and dying in the first 10 minutes...

Check us out and well give you a hand...

Thanks,

Morgue!

Edited by Morgue2903

Tell you what... if you need a server that gives you a few things to start out with... try ours... Search MIAClan in DayZ Commander. We will help you get a better understanding of the map. The extra stuff gives you time to check things out and run around without the worry of hurting yourself and dying in the first 10 minutes...

Check us out and well give you a hand...

Thanks,

Morgue!

Shouldn't you at least TRY to answer his question before you go promoting your server?

EDIT... slight sentence change

Edited by Phooey

Well, ok, I thought I did that by explaining that we give him stuff to run around and defend himself while he learns what buildings he can get into... as well we try to explain in side chat which different buildings you can get in... Go to the church in Cherno... you can get in and there is a few goodies in there too...

Morgue!

when i approach a house i cant enter them , i dont see the icon that i get while opening doors of warehouses even if i can see through its window.. am I doing something wrong here?

Nope your not doing anything wrong. Very few of the "normal" houses are able to be entered in the mod. That will change in the Standalone but I know that doesn't help you now :)

• Like 1

hey thanks .. one more thing , when I play i see more zombies roaming around near these buildings compared to what i see in some youtube videos. is this because of customs settings of every server is different ?

edit : and can i download that map on dayzdb.com to my hdd?

Edited by nikhilkdipsar

This is a game of discovery, if you want to know everything before hand and not enjoy learning the game then why are you bothering to play?

edit: whilst I enjoy learning from experience, I should not expect everyone (or anyone) to feel the same way I do. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by jake264

It does take a bit of time to learn which building can spawn loot or not. I don't think there's anything wrong with using the maps to see the building/spawn points or the building visuals as being a new player it's hard enough learning the zombie mechanics without having no clue as to where to pick up gear. Each to their own I guess.

Dude don't shortcut this, one of the best things for me to discover about the game is which buildings I should approach and which I shouldn't.

Gotta agree with this. Don't rush to learn every detail of the game or you'll just spoil it for yourself. The first 50 hours or so where I was learning by doing were definitely my favourite by far!

• Like 1

Trial and error.

You will soon learn and as said those first few hours where everything is unknown are definitely some of the best

FYI, if you can't see into a house through its windows, you can't get into said house. its your best indicator if you should approach it or not.

All buildings where you can see in the windows are enter-able.

• Like 1

Always hit up Barns.

Just be careful with the small barns that don't have the outward opening doors on both sides..

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that if the doors aren't open, chances are that you can't enter unless someone else happened to go in and close the door behind themselves. The exception to this is the small industrial buildings with the grey doors.