Sign in to follow this  
Lupin

Campfire damage

When you set up a camp fire and sit in it you should get burned.

• Like 1

rain should put it out.

• Like 1

rain should put it out.

and we should run around on fire stop drop and roll.

• Like 2

unless your friend has a blanket and knows the smother technique

unless your friend has a blanket and knows the smother technique

or there is a lake nearby but you get the chance of being infected not zombified.

unless your friend has a blanket and knows the rape technique

• Like 1

that's hot as fuck

• Like 1

There's barely any fire/flame system in ARMA 2. The particles spread, sure, but very unrealistically, and cause no damage to anything.

There's barely any fire/flame system in ARMA 2. The particles spread, sure, but very unrealistically, and cause no damage to anything.

so basically more code to be written.

Rain should put it out and you should catch fire if you stand in it for more then a couple of secs. :)

It should also dmg you, especially when you think about the crazy blast range and dmg of explosives, it doesnt make sense fire wont hurt you hehe.

Great idea :)

We pretty much all did this : stand in the middle of the fire... (ok in everygame We try to see if fire hurt)

we need to have fire that burn and hurt...

yeah this is just basic realism here, there are alot of improvements they can make with the physics of the game.

... I'm not sure if any of you have gone camping but rain doesn't put out a fire unless it's a monsoon level of downpour. Rain makes it difficult to get a fire started and slightly difficult to keep it going if you don't keep your fuel source (ie: wood) dry. If it starts pouring rain and you already have a fire going though, that would not put it out unless you've built a piddly ass tiny fire.

• Like 2

... I'm not sure if any of you have gone camping but rain doesn't put out a fire unless it's a monsoon level of downpour. Rain makes it difficult to get a fire started and slightly difficult to keep it going if you don't keep your fuel source (ie: wood) dry. If it starts pouring rain and you already have a fire going though, that would not put it out unless you've built a piddly ass tiny fire.

Well it really depends on the amount of time it has been burning before it start raining tbh :)

Rain can most deff make a fireplace go out, ive had it happen to me numerous times lol.

But sure, if its been burning for a long time it will not go out unless its really heavy downpour, but it can indeed happen.

This should definitely be added. Even the big fuel tanks don't hurt you if you set them on fire.

Well it really depends on the amount of time it has been burning before it start raining tbh :)

If your fuel source wasn't completely dry to begin with then yes, otherwise no.

This should definitely be added. Even the big fuel tanks don't hurt you if you set them on fire.

If your fuel source wasn't completely dry to begin with then yes, otherwise no.

So you are saying that a fireplace you started 2 mins ago will be as hard to put out as the one you started 15 mins ago? wrong....

Newly started fireplaces are fragile, compared to fireplaces thats been burning and creating embers for a longer time.

Its the embers that are hard to put out, not the fire it self, a simple bucket of water will kill the flames but it wont kill the embers and theres no embers in a newly started fireplace.

Thats also why you use dirt to cover a fireplace in the nature, it cuts off oxygen and sufficates the embers, thoose are also what is keeping the fire alive, not fire it self..

Edited by Byrgesen

2 mins is barely enough for the wood to actually heat up, 15 minutes and it's actually been heated so yeah you're right there. Talk about 15 mins and 30 minutes and the difference is much smaller and the farther along you get the smaller the difference gets.

- edit: changed fire to wood

Edited by BadLuckBurt

2 mins is barely enough for the wood to actually heat up, 15 minutes and it's actually been heated so yeah you're right there. Talk about 15 mins and 30 minutes and the difference is much smaller and the farther along you get the smaller the difference gets.

- edit: changed fire to wood

Very true :)

But most of the time in DayZ you dont see a fireplace burn for more then a couple of mins tbh, its just to dangerous to keep it lit hehe.

With all the "track left behind" Rocket wants in the SA, this could very well be one of them.

Maybe one would be able to tell from the look of the fireplace when it was put out and for how long it aprox burned? would be awsome :)

• Like 2

That could already be added to the mod as it is I think. As long as the database stores when the fireplace was put out and how long it burned, the game can determine wether it's still hot to the touch.

That could already be added to the mod as it is I think. As long as the database stores when the fireplace was put out and how long it burned, the game can determine wether it's still hot to the touch.

Well, dunno how easy it would be.

It all kinda depends on the ability to pull variables from a fireplace and store them for future use.

Have no idea if its possible in the Arma engine or if its limited when it comes to fireplaces.

That seems to be the main issue in the mod, Arma limitation heh.

The player's actions of putting down the fireplace, lighting it and putting it out all have to pass through the server at one point or another but true, I'm also not that familiar with Arma modding that I know how much info you can pull from that. There's also performance to worry about,when you start storing every fart it becomes a costly business. There's already constant saving of your character and DayZ is not doing something Arma was built for.

Edited by BadLuckBurt

The player's actions of putting down the fireplace, lighting it and putting it out all have to pass through the server at one point or another but true, I'm also not that familiar with Arma modding that I know how much info you can pull from that. There's also performance to worry about,when you start storing every fart it becomes a costly business. There's already constant saving of your character and DayZ is not doing something Arma was built for.

Very true, that could hinter the implementation of this. But if the information is stored on the server, it might just be a matter of pulling it to a DB table.

Im no big arma coder myself, know a thing or two, but not nearly enough :)

I guess its a matter of performance vs. final result and usefullness.