TonyStarks

Journals/Diaries for writing down Events.

Yeah that Idea come back often and I will support it until death... (that means in about ten minuts)

We do not need incitive at all to write in it, each player has a diary, you are free to write in it or not. But what could be interresting is that a website (when you die) keep your diary and make it visible for everybody. So you don't have that "I m just writing for my murderer" feeling.

That way you can read back all the lives you had before, you can read random player diary or even the best one (stars system).

There are a lot of spot where you can sit and write listening to your environnement, if you hear something you just have to close your diary and pick up your gun... so yes, this is a wonderfull idea that never a game has needed that much as dayz.

We see it everywhere, people are already writing stories, making video etc, we, players need to create around the dayz universe, we don't want to be the passive players we've been in all previous games. Days give us that, and that' s why those forums are always full.

The ingame diary is just a step more in that direction.

I agree that adding self written diaries would be good, even if they are filled with abuse. I don't think many players would mind finding those and would just laugh at the writer's rage.

I am only concern about server resources with this idea, if it can be added without taking up too much of the server resources then excellent.

If those diraies are stored on an extern website it won't recquired anything from the server I think.

Just an opening/saving request to an extern website.

I think that this is my favorite idea I've seen on this board so far. I'd love to write in one, and I definitely agree that it'd add to the immersion. To me, the immersion is the whole point of the realism of the game, and being able to write in a journal next to your campfire or while your hiding under a tree for the night would do immensely to add to it.

It's the reading-other-people's aspect that really sells it for me, though. That nameless survivor you killed would now be the last of a once-great group of players, or the noob who just hit his big break, or the ruthless bandit whose fallen on bad luck and doesn't have any good gear left. Your partner who just got killed could be the newbie who was really excited to find someone to play with, or have his plans of shooting you in the back of the head revealed. Directly communicating with people- by chat or by voice- is a great way to get to know someone, but reading their post-mortem diaries would be a great way to find out things that they wouldn't tell you otherwise about their adventures.

I could also see people doing some creative things with them; leaving co-ordinates for stashes (or traps), tips, etc. Even creative stuff- hell, I roleplayed Haven and Hearth for a long time as someone who was insane and talked to their pinecow. Good times.

This doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to implement. Maybe, diaries wouldn't stack but it would just add entries you found to your own. That would allow more than one person to find the same diary. It could be gear like watches or matchboxes, and you start off with it.

I really hope Rocket is made aware of this idea, I dont think it would be too difficult to impliment.

Also I love the potential for people to leave warnings about areas that are overrun with bandits (server specific issue), or the idea that people could leave tent and stash co-ordinates in their journals.

I agree; another level of exploration, but (extremely) rare enough where I can't see it being an incentive to kill.

It'd make finding the bodies of survivors around towns or scattered about scary and worrying, but also somewhat exciting and rewarding.

Also, the fact that it would really have no negative on people who don't use it is a biggie. To those who say that this game has no downtime, I think that that really depends on your playstyle. I find myself having plenty of it, and it definitely makes the drama that it breaks up all the more intense.

Yes!!! I love this idea and think it could add so much to the game, especially with all the new groups forming all the time. People could fill their journals with all sorts of interesting stuff. It would definitely have a bigger impact on you if you had just killed someone, intentionally or not, and then read their journal and found out something like, they were a decent person just trying to make it across the map to help a friend. Yeah of course some people will leave stupid shit in them and some wouldn't bother with them at all. I for one would use it often writhing down my thoughts on my next move and about major events that I had experienced. Really hope Rocket gets a chance to check out this thread.

+1

I think adding journals is a fantastic idea that will go farther in not only deepening the immersion in the world, but also by adding a more human element to the game. Like previous posters have stated, this may alter the behaviors of many players in game by adding weight to lives and gravity for taking them... some people may feel genuinely guilty after killing a player a reading his story of struggling to survive in the journal.

Of course there will be players who write abusive garbage, but hey, when a player kills them... they will get a good laugh. It may also encourage players to get more immersed in the whole survival simulator side since they'd like a cool story to write down... rather than "Today I logged in and shot a guy lol kbye"

As to how it may work: You will be able to find journals as loot. When you pick them up they go into your tool belt. Maybe each player can carry as many journals as they can fit on their belt (or maybe just 1). Content in journals is editable (just as you can tear pages out of a journal irl).

+1

I think adding journals is a fantastic idea that will go farther in not only deepening the immersion in the world' date=' but also by adding a more human element to the game. Like previous posters have stated, this may alter the behaviors of many players in game by adding weight to lives and gravity for taking them... some people may feel genuinely guilty after killing a player a reading his story of struggling to survive in the journal.

Of course there will be players who write abusive garbage, but hey, when a player kills them... they will get a good laugh. It may also encourage players to get more immersed in the whole survival simulator side since they'd like a cool story to write down... rather than "Today I logged in and shot a guy lol kbye"

As to how it may work: You will be able to find journals as loot. When you pick them up they go into your tool belt. Maybe each player can carry as many journals as they can fit on their belt (or maybe just 1). Content in journals is editable (just as you can tear pages out of a journal irl).

[/quote']

+1 For these reasons also. Couldn't be hard to implement, and could leave behind some cool/sad/funny stuff.

I don't think it needs to take place in inventory. Just 1 representing yours and others people diaries in the same spot than gps knif ect...

We must not be able to remove the diary on a dead body, it s more like "copying" so you always find a diary on dead body. It's not reallistic, but it raises the chance to find at least an interresting and completed one.