TonyStarks

Why is this mod so popular among russians?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just wondering. There seems to be a large minority of Russians/Cyrillic script using people playing this. Even the official forums have a whole section dedicated to them. Any english speaking Russians care to explain?

I think this mod pretty much apeals to many of people reguardless of their origin. There are a tonne of people all over Europe and the Americas who play, and Russia is a big country. Why wouldn't there be alot of them?

Are you hinting at them trying to steal our survival tactics for the upcoming zombie apocalypse?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here' date=' just wondering. There seems to be a large minority of Russians/Cyrillic script using people playing this. Even the official forums have a whole section dedicated to them. Any english speaking Russians care to explain?

[/quote']

Lots of games are popular with Russians it's just that you usually don't see them. In 99% of games there is no reason for Russians to connect to American servers as it just mean they are going to have a higher ping (do you see where this is headed?). There is this one game though, let's call it DayZ where when it's nighttime in Russia for some reason some Russians would rather play on a server somewhere where it is currently daytime. For most of the day in America it is nighttime somewhere in Russia (I'll let you put 2 and 2 together here).

dude, try playing dota 2, its flooding with them, only bad thing about it that they talk in thre crylic thing and i have no clue what it meens :((((

russians love their MilSims, has always been the way in Arma, and they are some of the best players out there

Dunno but once the global bans went out there where a couple of thousand less of them playing.

• Like 1

I am a russian player, so here is my point of view. The things are more simple than you thought.

1. There are lot of countries use cyrillic for writing (not only Russia).

2. You niticed cyrillic just because it's weird for you. But maybe it's not so common as you think.

3. Kids in post-soviet countries having summer vacations now. And, unfortunately, they aren't limited with some ESRB/PEGI restrictions. So they can play DayZ without any limits unlike the european and american kids.

• Like 1

I live in US but I came here from Russia. In my experience many Russian players prefer the hardcore and/or sim style games compared to the popular flashy ones like BF3 and MW2. DayZ is one of the very few quality games that fits into that category. I think this trend developed because PC gaming is still far less popular in Russia than in the West due to the lack of access to computers outside of the cities and so the gaming community has remained a pretty close group.

• Like 1

They love World of Tanks too. They set records for max concurrent connections to a single shard all the time.

Eastern Europe represents a huge playerbase in pretty much all games.

But t seems to me I encounter much more of them in hardcore games like Project Reality, or DayZ, Red Orchestra etc.

Half a week ago I joined an almost empty PR ARMA2 server to try it out, there were two east european guys there, one was trying to teach his friend how to play, I didn't ask him anything but he nicely proposed to show me the basics too, and he was very patient.

3. Kids in post-soviet countries having summer vacations now. And' date=' unfortunately, they aren't limited with some ESRB/PEGI restrictions. So they can play DayZ without any limits unlike the european and american kids.

[/quote']

If you are trying to say most American kids can't play Arma 2 because it is rated Mature you have a pretty slanted view of the way ESRB works. It's just a recommendation to parents, a way of the gaming industry policing itself so that legislators don't get involved (similar to how movies or comic books avoided overzealous lawmakers ruining everyone's good time). It's really not hard for people under 17 to play these games though. Most people's parents understand the games are less violent than stuff you can see on cable TV and will buy them for kids anyways as long as the game isn't sexual (for some reason in America images of people getting killed are less shocking than seeing someone naked, yay religious conservative logic). Anyone who's parents won't buy it for them can easily go to the mall and ask a teenager to buy it for them (used to do this all the time with CDs when I was a kid).

Hype.

A lot of hipster game reviewers jumped the bandwagon, and there are more serious core gamers fed up by "cawadoody" that this mod hit the spot (or rather, the IDEA behind the mod hit the spot, the mod itself is a little unstable now and people are disillusioned).

Anyone who's parents won't buy it for them can easily go to the mall and ask a teenager to buy it for them (used to do this all the time with CDs when I was a kid).

Well, in Russia children didn't have to ask a someone to buy them a violent game. They just buy it like a candy, without any restrictions. I don't say it's cool or bad. It's just a fact about social structure of my country.

Jeez, guys. Maybe it's because ARMA 2 is set in RUSSIA? Why did more people in Britain buy The Getaway more than anywhere else?

The ARMA 2 server list has a huge presence where many of the domination games are geared towards Opfor vs. Blufor, not the other way around. They like PLAYING as Russians, too. Imagine that.

Russians just like milsim as someone else already said. They've been making up a fairly large part of the ArmA2 community for years.

They're some good guys out there, modders as well as codders, there's a ton of hackers as well and most of them just keep writing cyrilic whenever they have the opportunity which is annoying.

Look at Iron Front Liberation 1944 (ArmA2 WW2 standalone), Russians made it.