cgsprite

Backpacks

Since bags have no real value other than 'it holds more', or 'it doesn't stand out as much'. I was wondering about the possibility of 'worn' backpacks, and civilian backpacks versus military grade. Military being obviously much harder to find but are far more rugged and harder to spot with the lack of stand out-ish colours.

With a worn back pack there's a minuscule chance of misplacing item(s) going from point A to point B. It would then need a repair which could use the crafting system, either that or you set out on finding another backpack. Repairing the backpack could just warrant some good old duct tape which may only be a temporary fix until you find a more suitable solution. I would imagine Duct tape also being utilized for fixing broken car windows, but that's another topic.

Edited by cgSprite

lol this just sounds like it would make me mad. I'm walking to my camp and my extra pair of nvg falls out pf the worn backpack. Sad times to come.

I do on the other hand like the addition of duct tape. Probably one of the easiest ways to fix just about anything :)

Edited by INickeragua

Hell it would annoy me too, but it would make me a little more careful with my gear. I did say minuscule, you won't be leaving a trail of items I hope :)

Yes Duct Tape is a must.

I agree with this, I think worn backpacks would be a good idea. I think the differences should be that a worn backpack has a chance to loose items but repairing it sacrifices some of the space to ensure no items are lost while in carrying it

In terms of civilian versus military, Civilian backpacks should be less durable and cost the wearer more stamina.

Why is this? Some military backpacks carry lightweight aluminium frames which evenly spreads the weight allowing the person to travel further without rest, this is especially true with backpacks such as the ALICE pack which often is seen with a lightweight steel frame.

I think you should also be able to improvise backpacks, using old clothes, twine and duct tape. Maybe even able to construct a frame for a backpack which would lessen the amount of fatigue one gets by constructing it out of wood and string.

Need Duct Tape to fix your bag.... But what if your Duct Tape falls out of your bag?

Need Duct Tape to fix your bag.... But what if your Duct Tape falls out of your bag?

Then you should have placed it in your coat pocket, you'll need to find another way of dealing with it hehe!

Looking at the alice-pack I was wondering how I should be able to get 2 rifles in it to fill it up, as it has 3 small pouches and 1 big pack.

I think Backpacks should hold what their form is like. Alice has one big and 3 small bags, so 3 small bags can only hold small items, the main bag could hold larger items.

I don't know exactly how the form of an object could be taken to determine if it fits in the bag or not, but in general, a rifle is very long, but thin, while a jerrycan is a solid block.

A rifle would require a long, slim backpack to fit in or you'd have to attach it to the outside. Jerrycans would only fit into wide backpacks, almost filling them up completely.

Having changes like these could make a huge difference in backpacks.

As someone using primarily backpacks for my stuff in real life, I also know how the design of a backpack will affect the performance. If there are no hip and chest straps to hold it, running becomes more difficult, as the backpack pulls you along with its weight. Backpacks with outer pockets also allow quick access to certain stuff, so having a pack like that could enhance the amount of items you can access directly.

Another nice feature of some military backpacks is, that they can be attached to your combat-vest, to be released by a quick-drop-mechanism, if you find yourself under attack and need to get rid of some weight fast. Considering that weight slows you down, having a medium sized backpack with quickdrop versus a large backpack, that will slow down your response-time, would make a nice dilemma when looting.

Many of my Backpacks have a bag on the bottom containing a raincoat for my backpack. my military backpack even has a green and a white cover to switch between summer/winter terrain, covering the backpack in form, camo and waterproofing it in the same time, with the disadvantage of increasing accessabiltiy as long as the cover is on.

In the game this would additionally allow to camo backpacks to use them as storage. In a real life scenario, hiding some beans in a backpack, covered in a waterproof blanket, covered with leafs would be a realistic thing to do, if you needed a safe spot.

tl;dr:

- The form and size of bags should allow what can be put into them.

- outer pockets should allow quick access

- quickdrop-mechanisms could make military grade backpacks more interesting.

- raincovers for backpacks would be great.

Edited by liquidmind

I think you bring another interesting point to it all, definitely far more in depth than I had been with my suggestion (sorry) but I really like what you've suggested.

For each time I read about a "crafting system", it makes me want to write a screenplay about ancient egypt involving sheeps and herdsmen, drinking from a ladle, the cleanest water, boiled to perfection. As the audience shfits into emotion of late, sorrow and remorse, I pray that not one more of these suggestions request that a game of survival require a thread and needle TO KEEP THE CLOTHES ON THOSE DEAD, NAKED, ZOMBIES!!!

Keep it scripted, the system we already have.

Thank you.

Read out to me where it says thread and needle. Obviously it doesn't have to work like that, but bags alone shouldn't just be limited to the usual 5-6 types of military equipment. That alone is worth some attention I believe.

Also if you want to get all crazy like in your post, make sure you spell check :) No offesne

Edited by cgSprite

How about a Kamelbak water system backpack? Those come in civilian and military versions. What would be the difference other than durability of the type of backpacks you implemented that we use? There is no need for a crafting system. Not all characters could know how to install an engine, so why add another system or systems of fixing when damaging items with gunfire has only been implemented for nvg's? Shooting holes in backpacks and making me spill the beans does not seem like a good suggestion. Can we fix our shoes with this crafting system? If so, someone is going to win big on a tapestries warehouse.

Well biggest thing for me, which comes with the premise of civilian clothing is being seen. You're likely to be far more visible with a crummy old backpack intended for regular use over something used for military things, I thought I outlined that fairly simply. My bad.

No, no shooting holes in the backpack. I just thought since a big thing in DayZ is collecting gear to survive, there could be some sort of dilemma (other than just dying) to keep you on your toes. I'm not saying it's an incredible idea, but I would rather lend a hand in suggestions and find a product I can enjoy thoroughly.