schrapple

Should loot "grow"?

How's this for an idea. What if instead of loot points spawning high value items straight up instead loot grows at a loot spot?

For example, if you have a weapons loot point it starts out with one single round of ammunition, every 5 minutes ( all values used in these examples are only for demonstration purposes) the pile of ammo grows by one round, once there are enough rounds for a full magazine the counter then starts for the magazine to turn into a weapon, once the magazine has become a weapon and the weapon has sat in the spawn point without being collected for a period of time it will "grow" into a higher quality weapon.

I feel something like this will really add to the scavenging feel of the game, instead of just running through the cities quickly grabbing everything you need you will have to go exploring and searching for really good loot. The more remote and unusual the loot point the more likely you are to find something really good.

so many reasons why this is a bad idea.

Care to elaborate? or is this just your "thing" you do?

No way man, It just isnt as solid as the current/new loot system that is comming in, plus This could be easily exploited. "Oh I found a DMR bullet better sing to it and wait for it to bloom into a DMR!"

Care to elaborate? or is this just your "thing" you do?

afkers, leaving a server for a year, people everywhere would have as50's or the highest level gun, and when does a revolver bullet magically turn into an as50 over time?
  • Like 1

No way man, It just isnt as solid as the current/new loot system that is comming in, plus This could be easily exploited. "Oh I found a DMR bullet better sing to it and wait for it to bloom into a DMR!"

The waiting for spawn to grow into something cool is a good point and could be a problem, I imagined that it would take hours if not days for something top end to finally develop though. So waiting would really be unrealistic, unless you came back in a few days.

afkers, leaving a server for a year, people everywhere would have as50's or the highest level gun, and when does a revolver bullet magically turn into an as50 over time?

So your argument is that it would be unrealistic? is it less realistic than an as50 magically appearing at a spawn point?

So your argument is that it would be unrealistic? is it less realistic than an as50 magically appearing at a spawn point?

well standalone will most likely fix some stuff, but cmon, making a revolver round into a dmr?

well standalone will most likely fix some stuff, but cmon, making a revolver round into a dmr?

Cmon, having a DMR appear from thin air at a spawn point? it's just an alteration on the current system which is shit being magicked into existence.

Cmon, having a DMR appear from thin air at a spawn point? it's just an alteration on the current system which is shit being magicked into existence.

but things magically growing? still using magic

but things magically growing? still using magic

Exactly, it was never proposed as a cure for things magically appearing and is no less realistic than the current loot system. You claimed that a revolver magically turning into an as50 was unrealistic.

Saw this post and hoped it would say cans of beans growing on trees. It didn't and now I'm sad.

• Like 4

Exactly, it was never proposed as a cure for things magically appearing and is no less realistic than the current loot system. You claimed that a revolver magically turning into an as50 was unrealistic.

well it is

Put a makarov on the ground.

Do other stuff.

come back an hour later.

makarov evolved into AS50.

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 1

Put a makarov on the ground.

Do other stuff.

come back an hour later.

Only applies to loot points, once the loot has been taken from the loot point the cycle starts again at that point.

It's even more exploitable than the current spawn system.

I find a revolver.

"Hmm, let's let this simmer for a bit"

Two hours later:

"Finally, it turned into a DMR."

Only applies to loot points, once the loot has been taken from the loot point the cycle starts again at that point.

"You claimed that a revolver magically turning into an as50 was unrealistic." is what I mean "well it is" for

But you can only control it if you've got all your trainer-badges.

@OP.

If the loot were to work as you suggest, it would be broken pretty much instantly.

There will be many more loot-spots in SA. A hell of a lot of them will go unnoticed for days.

In the case of your suggestion, every shed north of Cherno will have an AS50 in it within a very short space of time.

It's a bad idea.

• Like 1

Will I be able to plant makrov rounds and grow them into an AS50 tree?

Lol, sorry. All in all I can see where you are going..... on busier servers this would keep the amount of higher quality loot from spawning (people would be quick to pick up the military stuff).

The problem you will have is that on slower servers, you would end up with a ton of as-50s around.

I don't particularly like the idea myself.

Edited by dayz247

It's not a horrible idea, and I can see the thinking behind it (encouraging players to visit otherwise quiet locations like Msta and Guglovo), but it's simply too open to exploitation to really be a viable option.

Thanks to everyone who has something to contribute. I didn't go into massive detail in the OP because walls of text don't get read so let me clear a few things up.

Loot points wouldn't all start with the worst item and eventually end up at the best item going. For example points could be fixed to a certain ammo type, a 9mm loot point would start with a single round of 9mm and the amount of ammo would grow, when the point eventually becomes a weapon it would become any of the weapons that take 9mm ammo, so it could be a M9, a G17, a PDW or even an MP5 variant. A 9mm weapon with some ammo would be as far as the point would grow, it wouldn't develop any further into a high powered rifle or NVG.

The number of points and how quickly they grow would obviously be adjusted so game play would work, points wouldn't all grow to max in an empty server, there would obviously have to be a cap on how much and of what type the gear was. Also the number of points would be different from the current dayz, Each building may only have one point so you could do very well or very poorly from each building with a point, unlike now where many buildings have massive stocks of loot inside them.

What a point grows would also be randomized (in line with rarity intended for gear) after they have been picked, a point which had a M4 gets picked and could start again as a medical point and start to grow a bandage or a food point that starts to grow a can of beans. This would prevent people from learning which points spawn which items, so you wouldn't know exactly where to run to when you need an assault rifle like you can do now, it would also prevent people from camping at valuable loot spots like they currently do.

I'm not overly attached to the idea, it was something I had been think about. It seemed pretty good to me but I'd like people to question it, the best ideas grow with positive and negative input from the community.

Terrible idea.

Loot should spawn and stay that way, until it is taken by other players.

Eg. if one STANAG magazine spawns, it should stay one STANAG magazine.

Terrible idea.

Loot should spawn and stay that way, until it is taken by other players.

Eg. if one STANAG magazine spawns, it should stay one STANAG magazine.

Why?

I think I've read in some mod-description that they have implemented a loot-cycle like that. It's one way to go, but I think it has it's disadvantages.

If I was a bandit, playing in a group, I'd camp NWAF, shooting everyone trying to get close, waiting for the best gear available to spawn in baracks, taking just that, leaving the rest to grow.

Rocket mentioned, that in SA, all Loot will span on server-start. I think that's a lot better way to solve it. Someone might just rush through a building, leaving the best stuff behind. It also forces you to look into more distant regions, in hope that there wasn't a player looting yet. I am really excited about that, so I wouldn't appreciate growing loot...