Sign in to follow this  
survivalist

There shouldn't be any pvp-free trading post region!

What's great about this mod, is the minimal ruleset.

Teamkilling is non-existant, since the sandbox concept permits a player to make his own decision about who he wants to kill, where, and when. Thus, the pvp cycle permits killing other players without penalty regardless of their faction and affiliation. Which is good. The last thing you want to people constantly complaining about being teamkilled, as it's bound to happen.

If you establish a neutral trading zone, that is PVP free, you're setting yourself up for alot of problems. There will be a great deal of people who will not follow this ruleset. Not everyone is going to respect this no shooting zone. Even if it was scripted to not permit shooting in this zone, the ability to fire into the zone from a distance away will still leave people getting shot in the trading zone.

Lastly, it's not very realistic or fitting into the scenario. The landscape is dangerous and full of risk. I imagine, in a future apocalypse, there will not be a 'safe zone' for people to waltz into that is free from any possible conflict. If you want to establish a 'trading' zone, it should be done in game, via the tools available in the game. Get a few guys together, secure a town, patrol that town, make that town safe. If players are incapable of doing that on their own initiative, then I do not understand the point of having hard coded mechanics in place to provide that level of protection.

Don't do it. The less rules to govern behavior ingame, the less rule-breakers you'll have.

It fits the scenario wonderfully, there is ample precedent in literature and multimedia, and if someone has the resources to set one up, they have proven that the concept works.

This thread has no point and in fact contradicts reality at its core.

Thanks, next.

Sidenote: There should definitely not be a "programmed" (dev-injected) safe zone of any kind. If someone wants to set up a trading zone, it should be their responsibility.

Sidenote: There should definitely not be a "programmed" (dev-injected) safe zone of any kind. If someone wants to set up a trading zone' date=' it should be their responsibility.

[/quote']

OP is a response to the suggestion that there SHOULD be an artificial pvp-free zone for trade to occur. (It is the top post in the suggestion forum)

This of course would ruin the game. Any sort of trading should be player-driven/created/enforced/etc. (If someone were to set up a 'shop', there is nothing that would stop me from coming to kill everyone and steal all of their stuff.)

---

To everyone: Please stop with all of the shitty suggestions. We (I) do not want you ruining an already fantastic game by turning it into a typical bullshit regulated mmo-world. The current atmosphere is perfect and should remain the staple of this game throughout its development.

It fits the scenario wonderfully' date=' there is ample precedent in literature and multimedia, and if someone has the resources to set one up, they have proven that the concept works.

This thread has no point and in fact contradicts reality at its core.

Thanks, next.

Sidenote: There should definitely [b']not be a "programmed" (dev-injected) safe zone of any kind. If someone wants to set up a trading zone, it should be their responsibility.

Your belief and suggestion is exactly the same as the OP's. Your post has no point and is in fact redundant at its core.

Thanks, next.

I honestly don't think you can stop suggestions, nor should you.

Suggestions can bring great ideas and wonderful concepts, and also greatly contribute to the richness of an experience as a whole. That is a significant portion of being an alpha and beta tester, pure stresstesting is done much later.

On the trade post topic, I merely wanted to show that there's more than "trade post" and "no trade post". Why not let players build and establish their own? We already have wire fences and tank traps, it doesn't seem too far out.

Dismissing the idea in its entirety because it is perceived to be tied to a magical zone where bullets don't go blam, that's the really dangerous mindset.

It would be difficult to build such a free trade town by players as it is now. Everyone would need to play on one giant server for it to be feasible. Also, persistent items in world (e.g., sandbags, fence, etc...)

i believe there would be some sort of compound that was fortified and no outsiders were let in without first giving up their weapons.

it'd probably be bad to add to the game though

I honestly don't think you can stop suggestions' date=' nor should you.

Suggestions can bring great ideas and wonderful concepts, and also greatly contribute to the richness of an experience as a whole. That is a significant portion of being an alpha and beta tester, pure stresstesting is done much later.

On the trade post topic, I merely wanted to show that there's more than "trade post" and "no trade post". Why not let players build and establish their own? We already have wire fences and tank traps, it doesn't seem too far out.

Dismissing the idea in its entirety because it is perceived to be tied to a magical zone where bullets don't go blam, that's the really dangerous mindset.

[/quote']

At no point did I say you should not give your suggestion. The only thing I said was that your post was redundant in that it suggests the same as the OP.

Yet once again you suggest something the OP agrees with. At no point did the OP dismiss the idea entirely. It was suggested that a market should be set up by the players with the resources provided by the game. OP holds the exact same idea as you do.

There ain't nothing wrong with this. Can't see how it effects the pro-PVP elements of this community. And the people who want nothing to do with PVP remain in this area for as long as they like.

Inb4 I get more negative reputation.

IF some people had their way, this game would be ruined.

I've seen a few lame suggestions that seem to be trying to push this game into being similar to the thousands of other MMOs out there.

We (or I, at least) don't want any set rules, story, fetch quests, factions (grouping/party system would be fine though), NPC shops, forced non-PVP ruining the atmosphere and freedom of this game.

In this game we make our own story.

Luckily, the mods seem to know exactly what makes this game so special so I don't really have any fear of them implementing things that will screw it up.

IF some people had their way' date=' this game would be ruined.

I've seen a few lame suggestions that seem to be trying to push this game into being similar to the thousands of other MMOs out there.

We (or I, at least) don't want any set rules, story, fetch quests, factions (grouping/party system would be fine though), NPC shops, forced non-PVP ruining the atmosphere and freedom of this game.

Luckily, the mods seem to know exactly what makes this game so special so I don't really have any fear of them implementing things that will screw it up.

[/quote']

The game is going to need something to do besides wander around.

It's only a couple weeks old. Getting beans and shooting people with no purpose isn't going to give this mod any sort of longevity. If you don't understand that you don't understand why every single game has to have some sort of point.

That's the end of that. There will be more, but not necessarily anything more noob friendly. Just content.

IF some people had their way' date=' this game would be ruined.

[/quote']

The game is going to need something to do besides wander around.

It's only a couple weeks old. Getting beans and shooting people with no purpose isn't going to give this mod any sort of longevity. If you don't understand that you don't understand why every single game has to have some sort of point.

That's the end of that. There will be more, but not necessarily anything more noob friendly. Just content.

I also think there should definitely not be any sort of hard coded safe area in the game. It goes against the theme of the mod entirely.

However, I do think there is a lot of potential for content that fits within the theme that would potential promote longevity.

I've heard a rumor that there is a radio item in game that someone found, and occasionally it would pick up a broken broadcast with grid coordinates or something. Whether or not this is true I can't say, and if it is I wonder what the intention is. I could imagine it would lead you to loot spawns in the current state of the mod.

Now, I don't know anything about the Arma 2 engine and what it is capable of, but I get the impression from watching some game-play footage that there can be a lot of scripted events with NPCs and such.

There could be randomly spawned events with NPC survivors trapped somewhere by zombies, with loot available if you can get to it. You could expand on that and have a small group of military NPCs under attack, but I don't know what the developers think. The mod has a certain feel to it with a lot of the world being deserted.

Zombies could have loot on them like a map to a stash of supplies. It wouldn't do you any good unless you already had a map, and maybe a compass and GPS.

I'm rambling now, but just some ideas off the top of my head.

I don't want to see any sort of hardcoded aid to help us in this game. More rather I'd like to see the devs give us the "characters" the tools to allow us to make our wishes to come true. If we want to try to make a trading post, then let The Great Bean God give us the tools to build it. As of right now, it is possible to make a trading zone. This is how I do it. I take over the military building with stairs and ladders leading to the rooftop have a few watch the stairs and ladders and set up a trading place at the rooftop. We ask people who we see around to use the ladder to get up and immediately use the sit-down animation to let us know they will not do anything rash, and trading can being through talks. I'll give him something the person needs and in turn he'll give me something and go back to the sit-down animation. Anyone to goes up the stairs get shot. This has worked for me quite well with me only losing a guy due to a lucky shot from a sniper far away. I've been able to have around 8 proper trades. Its got flaws, but I managed to make it happen with what I got.

I'm positive the devs will give us the required content/tools to make it easier. Believe in them and continue to aid them throughout the alpha and soon to be, beta.

I don't want to see any sort of hardcoded aid to help us in this game. More rather I'd like to see the devs give us the "characters" the tools to allow us to make our wishes to come true. If we want to try to make a trading post' date=' then let The Great Bean God give us the tools to build it.

[/quote']

This. Its a post apocalyptic scenario, you can do whatever you want. Build an outpost? Sure why not. As long as there wont be any given aid from the beginning I'm okay with that. Keep it hardcore

I don't see why there shouldn't be a pre-generated trading post as long as you do it right. Just make it so there are NPC guards, rather than some weird no shooting zone.

It would be such a huge undertaking though in terms of balance and whatnot that I would rather just see players do it on their own.

I am all for there being a trading post, and it should be administered by players within the current game rules. In fact next time I die I plan to have a go at setting one up. Someone mentioned wanting tools implemented for this, to be honest I cant think of anything. Maybe lockable doors but I can see as many problems caused by that as it solves. Anyone got any concrete suggestions?