Sign in to follow this  
crzyhorse88

Server Jumping

Basic question guys - I have been watching some DayZ vids on youtube.

Maybe I have been picking it up wrong, but I'm sure a couple of times I have seen players jumping between servers but keeping all their gear.

They seem to move to a new server, which spawns them in the same location they were at in the original server.

They then go to a different place on the map in the new server, jump back on the original server where their location has now changed to the same location from the second server & they have kept all their gear - is this possible or is my tiny little brain struggling with a basic concept??

I thought that when you abort from 1 server, you always spawn into a new server as a new player with no gear or some gear dependant on the individual spawn rules of each server, I didn't think you could move gear from 1 server to another - is this the case or am I just being a bit thick??

There are many different hives. If servers share hive you can jump between them. In the beginning there was only one, public, hive but now there are many different private ones as well.

If you are using DayZCommander you can tick "hide unofficial" so you only see public hive servers.

Maybe I have been picking it up wrong, but I'm sure a couple of times I have seen players jumping between servers but keeping all their gear.

They seem to move to a new server, which spawns them in the same location they were at in the original server.

The servers you speak of are private hives. They work as you described. There are also public hives, they are all connected, if you have gear you will retain the gear on all servers. For example, if you have a DMR on public hive #1, you will also have that DMR on public hive #4. While this works with gear and player location, vehicles and tents don't transfer from server to server.

Private hives are better in my opinion, I find that many public hives fall prone to hacking and/or are run by abusive admins. One hacking attack=Hours or weeks of gear lost.

Also, many people in combat in Pub hives will logout, go to a diff server, move behind you, log in, and kill you, leaving you clueless.

Try them both out, come up with your own opinion.

Edited by TheBambiAvenger

If you are using DayZCommander you can tick "hide unofficial" so you only see public hive servers.

That's not true, about half of the servers that are under the "hide unofficial" tab are in fact private hive servers.

The servers you speak of are private hives. They work as you described. There are also public hives, they are all connected, if you have gear you will retain the gear on all servers. For example, if you have a DMR on public hive #1, you will also have that DMR on public hive #4. While this works with gear and player location, vehicles and tents don't transfer from server to server.

Private hives are better in my opinion, I find that many public hives fall prone to hacking and/or are run by abusive admins. One hacking attack=Hours or weeks of gear lost.

Also, many people in combat in Pub hives will logout, go to a diff server, move behind you, log in, and kill you, leaving you clueless.

Try them both out, come up with your own opinion.

Yeah, server hopping is a pain with public servers. That threat's always there so you have to watch your back. Not to mention there's the risk peeps stay in one spot (nwaf or stary) and hop from pub to pub looking for people running around at the location to slaughter.

I don't like nighttime dayz and anytime I play weekdays is in the evening so I go to a 24/7 daytime server.