Sign in to follow this  
Mund

NPC Survivors

Just a little idea.

Im not thinking about NPC's running around the map, but the possibility of NPC's spawning inside buildings. They wouldn't have to move. Maybe cowering in the corner, maybe waiting around a corner with a shotgun defending their home.

Just an idea to make the world feel a little bit more dynamic.

• Like 1

Rocket said he is not interested in NPC development.

Edited by MysticBros
  • Like 12

They have it in Dayz Origins I believe. They are ok but the problem is with server difficulty. They are usually on expert difficulty making it near damn impossible to kill

Rocket wants DayZ to be 100% player driven, therefore no NPCs other than braindead zombies. :)

• Like 6

Rocket said he is not interested in NPC development.

Did you read the suggestion? Im not talking about NPC's running round. They wouldn't have to be developed with pathfinding or interaction with zombies, and why are you shouting?

Did you read the suggestion? Im not talking about NPC's running round. They wouldn't have to be developed with pathfinding or interaction with zombies, and why are you shouting?

Dosen't matter, Rocket dosen't want NPCs of any sort except the infected.

End of discussion.

Edited by GOD™

and hes probably shouting because this has been "suggested" a thousand times before!

If you've read the devblogs or searched for other posts on this forum you would have known too.

• Like 3

and hes probably shouting because this has been "suggested" a thousand times before!

If you've read the devblogs or searched for other posts on this forum you would have known too.

Run a search in the suggestions forum for NPC!

Mund, that only works if someone makes tags!. It doesnt search the entire forum on just words.....

perhaps this is handy if you want to keep updated: http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Thats fair enough, but it was just an idea. These forums can be so hostile!

They sure can. I suggested car keys once upon a time and I went home with my balls in a box.

I've always wondered if minor NPC involvement would be interesting, but to be fair, I think that was driven just by the lack of objectives and things to pass time in DayZ Mod.

The Standalone is going to be teeming with so many features that I doubt NPC's are ever going to creep into my mind again.

(figuratively, not literally)

That is true and it wasn't meant hostile, but more or less a wake-up call!

Thats mainly because a lot of new forum members post stuff that has already been suggested or already known as 'going to be implemented in the SA' in the Devblogs.

Even the youtube posts teach you a lot about the game, so perhaps you can check these out too: http://www.youtube.com/user/icemotoboy that links to Dean "Rocket" Hall his channel.

indeed, but i guess people are just really tired of NPC threads. i know i am!

Apologies, if the search had turned anything up I would never have posted.

then whats the point of them?

yeah I hate how people go out of their way to be asses to people who post suggestion instead of thinking of better ideas to improve on the suggestion its the whole point of this Edited by HashSlingingSlasher192
  • Like 1

Apologies, if the search had turned anything up I would never have posted.

The search function is pretty finicky. There's a little gear icon on it, which is advanced search. Use that to narrow the search to titles in the suggestion forum.

Also, if the advanced search isn't functioning correctly, report to the forum mods. There may be a technical problem.

Also, don't take the stuff that happened here personally. Stuff similar to this gets suggested very often, so the communities' brain practically melts when they see this stuff.

Edited by colekern
  • Like 1

Also, don't take the stuff that happened here personally. Stuff similar to this gets suggested very often, so the communities' brain practically melts when they see this stuff.

indeed.

Rocket wants DayZ to be 100% player driven, therefore no NPCs other than braindead zombies. :)

they aren't braindead though they are programmed to know exactly where you are aiming and are about to shoot, and they sway their heads or move at light speed(teleport) away from your aim,

also soldiers don't sway their heads like zombies know to sway their head away from a bullet which is

1:Unrealistic

2:NOT PART OF ARMA 2 AI

3:implemented purely for difficulty

It's difficulty regardless of realism

they aren't braindead though they are programmed to know exactly where you are aiming and are about to shoot, and they sway their heads or move at light speed(teleport) away from your aim,

also soldiers don't sway their heads like zombies know to sway their head away from a bullet which is

1:Unrealistic

2:NOT PART OF ARMA 2 AI

3:implemented purely for difficulty

It's difficulty regardless of realism

They zig-zag to avoid fire because they're based on soldier AI. They don't sway their heads when you're about to shoot though, lol, and they definitely don't teleport.

and they sway their heads

They only sway their heads as thats part of the zombie animation. Not to dodge bullets.

They zig-zag to avoid fire because they're based on soldier AI. They don't sway their heads when you're about to shoot though, lol, and they definitely don't teleport.

(this is called a constructive argument instead of just saying "no they don't your wrong", try it sometime..)

when idle their heads wobble back an forth they do this anyway

its just you don't notice the fact that when your actually aiming on them they are swaying to evade your aim,

the flanking and zigzagging is soldier AI i know that but its still unrealistic.

A position in 3d space is a 3 component vector (x y z) and when an object moves that number goes up or down and "teleporting" is adding or decreasing very large amounts in a smaller timescale which Rocket chose to do because it makes up for bad pathfinding somewhat

so effectively with 3d game objects, teleporting is just very fast movement

Zombies teleport.

my point is not a complaint but the fact that zombies in Dayz are NOT braindead.

Edited by Rocky46

(this is called a constructive argument instead of just saying "no they don't your wrong", try it sometime..)

when idle their heads wobble back an forth they do this anyway

its just you don't notice the fact that when your actually aiming on them they are swaying to evade your aim,

the flanking and zigzagging is soldier AI i know that but its still unrealistic.

A position in 3d space is a 3 component vector (x y z) and when an object moves that number goes up or down and "teleporting" is adding or decreasing very large amounts in a smaller timescale which Rocket chose to do because it makes up for bad pathfinding somewhat

so effectively with 3d game objects, teleporting is just very fast movement

Zombies teleport.

my point is not a complaint but the fact that zombies in Dayz are NOT braindead.

This is incorrect.

The head sway you are referring to is just their standard idle animation, they aren't conciously dodging anything, it's part of the breathing animation because they are essentially reskinned soldiers.

They do NOT teleport - I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

The zombies use a type of 'waypoint' pathfinding when they are following us, they don't just magically teleport - they have set coordinates that they try to follow, that's why you can get them stuck on trees when they try to follow you and lose their LoS.

• Like 1

They only sway their heads as thats part of the zombie animation. Not to dodge bullets.

its more than just an animation. they compensate the movement according to where your aiming to avoid being shot in the head even tho they apparently don't know your even there while they are idle

This is incorrect.

The head sway you are referring to is just their standard idle animation, they aren't conciously dodging anything, it's part of the breathing animation because they are essentially reskinned soldiers.

They do NOT teleport - I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

The zombies use a type of 'waypoint' pathfinding when they are following us, they don't just magically teleport - they have set coordinates that they try to follow, that's why you can get them stuck on trees when they try to follow you and lose their LoS.

They move so fast that they are able to pass through apparently solid objects like walls That is definitely teleporting.(yes that is the cause of this bug in case you didnt know.)

their idle movements including head sway animations directly compensates where you are aiming your gun to make them hard to hit

i don't "get my information" from anywhere but in-game experiences.