Epical

Dayz a mature game?

Hi there, first time poster here; but I've been haunting the forums since about august. I'm pretty old-school, 35 yrs old; my first rig was a sega master system.

Anyway; for the last 5 or 6 yrs i haven't been able to get into games like I used to; other than the original crysis; the left4dead series when they came out; and now...dayz. I just can't immerse myself into the storylines of games like i used to. After about 20 hrs of Skyrim I threw in the towel; I just don't care. Back in the day I think I cried once playing a harp in an RPG game (Lunar-sega cd). Now that I've gotten older the impetus to play games has been mostly about marveling at the graphics; which are cool and I can dig it. I loved building my pc and then grading its performance, etc. But where were the games for older folk like me; something mature...a game where my intelligence, wisdom and creativity can be involved.

Thank you Dayz; thank you Dean; what a fricken genius this guy is. When i watch him in interviews; he just seems so alert and articulate; too smart to be bought and sold; and I love that about him. Now I can play a game that evokes emotion again. Don't like the storyline? Fine, I'll make my own. I can sit on this hill and watch the sunset as I contemplate what I want to do. Gotta give credit to arma 2 as well for making it all possible. But I'm not into military stuff very much...unless a zombie apocalypse is involved in there somewhere; which I think we can all agree is the best thing ever :P

I'm very patient for the standalone too; since I can't enough of Dayz as it currently stands. Looks like the standalone is going to expand all the things i like most about the game anyway. Hurray!

P.S: looking to make friends? add me on steam; id: εpιcคl

Peace out.

• Like 15

Welcome mate. We're the same age so I've had similar issues to you (in terms of gaming). That's one of the main reasons I try and support DayZ as much as i can, I honestly think it's doing something very different and if they pull it off it may even influence the gaming idustry as a whole, some say it already has.

I've been gaming for over 20 years and I have to agree that DayZ has hit that sweet spot that no other game has been able to for years now.

That's the good news. Now for the bad news...

BEHOLD!!

thuglife203.jpg

The new gamer generation that is unfortunately spilling over onto DayZ...

• Like 11

I too am 35! And indeed DayZ is a nice break from Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders. PVP sucks in that game.

What fun times lay ahead for you Epical .. Steak can play the harp and Fraggle can sing ! Plus we are allowed to club seals !

Regarding games, i got over mainstream gaming a fair while back and DayZ has been the only thing i have been sold on for a long time otherwise it is hardcore flight simming for a decent experience.

Ps..don't ever get in a car with Steak

• Like 2

I've been gaming for over 20 years and I have to agree that DayZ has hit that sweet spot that no other game has been able to for years now.

BEHOLD!!

<snip>

Can I have the link to his profile?

*zombie children confirmed

Thank you; shockwaves are rattling the gaming industry for sure; games like this take time to make though.

• Like 1

BEHOLD!!

thuglife203.jpg

I hope this kid is joking.

Oh god.

I really hope so.

im probably wrong

A great thing about the game is that it appeals to all ages, almost.

• Like 1

On a side note Epical; loving the reptilian profile pic :P Damn Queen!

• Like 1

Killing someone in this game is pretty serious business. I have too much empathy and tend to feel remorse at the thought of murder. Someone shot and got me killed the other day in origins; I had 2 Ivan Hofman zombies chasing me through the wilderness; and this guy's just taking pot shots at me and breaks my leg; its all good. I actually like having bandits around because it makes things exciting and they make me better at the game.

I PVP all the time and I rarely die and I very rarely kill; spying on someone with my rifle and watching him loot; hunt; setting up camp and making a fire can be just as exciting.

I hope we have journals in the Standalone; at least I can take some small satisfaction in the fact that my killer will find out how often i spared his life; haha.

ITT: 27 doesn't feel quite so old!

OT: I agree with you OP, I've played less and less. Content to watch TV or sleep at night rather then play 'Vidja games" but I want to play DayZ all day. All goddamn day.

Great OP, intensity killed me with that picture. Hilarious. I'd be happy to play with ya. I'm a loner in the game most of the time and don't kill without provocation. A couple survivors have made my list on US46 though.

When battalions of this new generation invade Chernarus, the air will be filled; with shrill petulant cries. I heard this kid just screaming his butt off in that really high voice; while zombies finished him off. I did nothing.

Deciding where you play now has a massive influence on how you experience the game. I'm in the process of getting whitelisted for balotabuddies; looks like a really good community; add me on steam

I hope this kid is joking.

Oh god.

I really hope so.

im probably wrong

Nope... this is the result of 13 and 14 YO getting preggo and not knowing how to raise their kid.... So MTV does it for them. *Cough 16andpregnant Cough" Edited by Connor Vaughn

Hi there, first time poster here; but I've been haunting the forums since about august. I'm pretty old-school, 35 yrs old; my first rig was a sega master system.

Anyway; for the last 5 or 6 yrs i haven't been able to get into games like I used to; other than the original crysis; the left4dead series when they came out; and now...dayz. I just can't immerse myself into the storylines of games like i used to. After about 20 hrs of Skyrim I threw in the towel; I just don't care. Back in the day I think I cried once playing a harp in an RPG game (Lunar-sega cd). Now that I've gotten older the impetus to play games has been mostly about marveling at the graphics; which are cool and I can dig it. I loved building my pc and then grading its performance, etc. But where were the games for older folk like me; something mature...a game where my intelligence, wisdom and creativity can be involved.

!Thank you Dayz; thank you Dean; what a fricken genius this guy is. When i watch him in interviews; he just seems so alert and articulate; too smart to be bought and sold; and I love that about him. Now I can play a game that evokes emotion again. Don't like the storyline? Fine, I'll make my own. I can sit on this hill and watch the sunset as I contemplate what I want to do. Gotta give credit to arma 2 as well for making it all possible. But I'm not into military stuff very much...unless a zombie apocalypse is involved in there somewhere; which I think we can all agree is the best thing ever :P

I'm very patient for the standalone too; since I can't enough of Dayz as it currently stands. Looks like the standalone is going to expand all the things i like most about the game anyway. Hurray!

P.S: looking to make friends? add me on steam; id: εpιcคl

Peace out.

Edited by Cap'n

I have began to question the credibility and coherence of my generation.

Makes me feel disappointed that I was not born at an earlier time, with so much wonder around every corner of gaming.

...makes me want to pop-out the ol' N64 and play a bit of Mario...

I think the biggest reason for success for the mod is that it is a sandbox. Just throw players in and see what they do, and that is what I love about these games.