BearGravy

Will SA be modder friendly?

Has Rocket said anything about the game being modder friendly? I ask because the only reason I would enjoy this is because I sometimes tire of gun skins and like to change them a lot. I mean it would be nice to incorporate DayZ with the steamworkshop. The only problem I can see is that some people may make mods to make the game easier for others. As in retexturing characters to have brighter colors on them so it's easier to spot them out.

So if it's not been said that it will be modder friendly, lets say it did. What would we do to combat those people that would make the game easier for others?

Would you like to actually see modding in this game?

At first, no. Allowing mods could compromise security. Once they get the game locked down, mod ability will open up.

Initially, no, it won't be. It's mainly for security (hackers) reasons. He has said that in the future he'd like to open it up to modders but it's not something we'll see for a long time..

Ninja'd :'()

Edited by Fraggle

I don't think it will be and I really, REALLY hope that it isn't.

It is a good idea in theory but it will most certainly be abused if that is the case.

If players are so interested in modding the current DayZ Mod won't be going anywhere any time soon.

If they were to try and stop the abuse that will happen (Such as the re-textures like you mentioned) they w ould have to split up the community into vanilla/modded etc. etc. which just splinters and breaks up the community and makes it even more awkward than it currently is.

I hope that it will be controlled by the staff which will enable a smoother and more consistent experience throughout.

TBH I'm excited about finally being able to play some vanilla DayZ again! I don't think I'd mind if it was never opened up to the modding community after what happened to DayZ mod.

• Like 2

TBH I'm excited about finally being able to play some vanilla DayZ again! I don't think I'd mind if it was never opened up to the modding community after what happened to DayZ mod.

I have to agree.

It's very annoying having to hunt through pages of '1000+ VEHICLES. 200 CHOPPERS. INSTA-REFUEL. STARTING WEAPONS. FREE GHILLIE' servers trying to find one that isn't a totally bastardized version of the original game.

Having a good strong 'base' game is the key to any game like this and the ability to stop on one server and start on another and not have to work out how many vehicles are around, what the loot tables are like etc. makes life much easier for everyone.

• Like 2

Even SERVER OPTIONS are destructive to the state of the game. 500+ vehicle servers. Start with weapons. Etc etc.

Mods should just fuck off for the standalone. At least for the first year or so. I love new maps. Chernarus gets really boring. But everything else, I've pretty much hated. Just divides the community and divides the server base.

I'd hate to miss out on playing awesome maps such as Taviana in the standalone. But 24/7 day 500+ vehicles servers do need to go.

I'd like to see private servers that were parameter modifiable, but I don't want an SA that's program modifiable.

I have a friend that's very knew to the "Tactical shooter" genre, who isn't super amazing at ArmA 2, just started ArmA 3 after I gave him an alpha key, and hasn't played DayZ. I want to teach him how to play before I trust him with my life in a real server, otherwise I'm never going to trust him at all. If I could explain the game/how to survive within a more controlled environment (private server), things would be easier.

Being parameter modifiable means I could change the mission.pbo to reduce (remove?) or improve zombie spawns, gear spawns, vehicle spawns, and et cetera, so he learns who and what is where and why.

On the other hand, if I could run around marking every player but me bright orange/fuchsia, add a super gun with a super high spawn chance with zero bullet travel time + 1 hit vs all targets + 20m explosion radius + et cetera, I wouldn't play unless SA had a singleplayer/a singleplayer mod came out (like playing DaiZy because DayZ public servers are hacked to high heavens and private servers suck).

The game being program modifiable would only lead to abuse; there's nothing, no offense, the community could add (Hall approved or not) to improve the game. Rocket know's what he's doing; if the game needs new content, he and his team can provide it after people like us save our time modding and use it for something less useful, like lobbying the forums.

No mods. Public vanilla servers and private servers should be exactly the same.

Edited by Applejaxc

I'd like to see private servers that were parameter modifiable, but I don't want an SA that's program modifiable.

I have a friend that's very knew to the "Tactical shooter" genre, who isn't super amazing at ArmA 2, just started ArmA 3 after I gave him an alpha key, and hasn't played DayZ. I want to teach him how to play before I trust him with my life in a real server, otherwise I'm never going to trust him at all. If I could explain the game/how to survive within a more controlled environment (private server), things would be easier.

Being parameter modifiable means I could change the mission.pbo to reduce (remove?) or improve zombie spawns, gear spawns, vehicle spawns, and et cetera, so he learns who and what is where and why.

On the other hand, if I could run around marking every player but me bright orange/fuchsia, add a super gun with a super high spawn chance with zero bullet travel time + 1 hit vs all targets + 20m explosion radius + et cetera, I wouldn't play unless SA had a singleplayer/a singleplayer mod came out (like playing DaiZy because DayZ public servers are hacked to high heavens and private servers suck).

The game being program modifiable would only lead to abuse; there's nothing, no offense, the community could add (Hall approved or not) to improve the game. Rocket know's what he's doing; if the game needs new content, he and his team can provide it after people like us save our time modding and use it for something less useful, like lobbying the forums.

I've got to disagree one of the brilliant things about DayZ is the distinct lack of hand-holding.

If someone is new they will die. Tough shit. Boo-fucking-hoo. That's just how it works.

Allowing the various parameters to be changed will just create the multitudes of crappy servers like there are now, the majority of which lie empty because the very concept behind them is stupid.

People shouldn't be allowed to tweak zombie count to make life easier, they shouldn't be allowed to change spawn rates so they can get their favourite gun, they shouldn't get an easy vehicle because they can't be bothered to walk all the way to the NEAF from Kamenka - they should be dropped in the shit of it like everyone else to find out what to do for themselves.

Edited by Rossums
  • Like 3

I think the whole point of DayZ is learning to survive in the world they've created. Training someone up in a controlled enviroment kind of misses the whole point of the game IMO. It's supposed to be hard and unforgiving, that's what makes it rewarding when you achieve the simplest things.

• Like 4

This^

I'd hate to miss out on playing awesome maps such as Taviana in the standalone. But 24/7 day 500+ vehicles servers do need to go.

I doubt we'd see that considering Martin and the shenanigans his pals pull. Unless they could rent out the servers themselves, then it would be different.

edit: Sorry, I just got a letter threatening legal action against me for posting that. I'll leave it though.

• Like 2

Not sure where I stand. Above all the hacking has to go, even if that means never getting any server or mod options. But I'd like to be able to make custom maps. Also I'm hoping private hives will exist; Its the best way to ensure against ghosting.

I don't want anyone going in and modding DayZ. That means you can mod for "hacks", godmode weapons, and ect.

I want it to stay the way it will be.

Not only that, but we'll see the same "5000+ Vehicles, 200+ helis, custom starting gear + custom buildings and loot!!!!! XD ZOMG LOL YOLO SWAG 2013!!!" that we see so often in the community now.

I'd like there be able to be MAP modding, sure, because that wouldn't affect much. The editing of skins and such, yes, because if you wanted to make a tropical map, just retexture the civilians, done and done.

As long as it doesn't affect the game the way it does now, I'm fine with it.

I don't want anyone going in and modding DayZ. That means you can mod for "hacks", godmode weapons, and ect.

I want it to stay the way it will be.

Not only that, but we'll see the same "5000+ Vehicles, 200+ helis, custom starting gear + custom buildings and loot!!!!! XD ZOMG LOL YOLO SWAG 2013!!!" that we see so often in the community now.

I'd like there be able to be MAP modding, sure, because that wouldn't affect much. The editing of skins and such, yes, because if you wanted to make a tropical map, just retexture the civilians, done and done.

As long as it doesn't affect the game the way it does now, I'm fine with it.

Honestly these are the only mods I want to see. Just retextures. I could care less for everything else. I just think it would be fun to make the zeds look like a xenomorph, or if I get tired or sick of a weapon just allow me to skin over it to one I prefer. Other than that I don't want modding. I just want rextextures.

Im against anything that will help the people cheating.

But at the same time.... there are so many modded servers for a reason.... thats what people want.

• Like 2

But at the same time.... there are so many modded servers for a reason.... thats what people want.

Trust me I hate it to, but I simply meant retextures, or possibly map editors, not anything else really.

Nah, it's more of it's new. DayZ will have frequent updates compared to what it is now, or even not, so people won't get bored.

What people want is stuff just handed to them - they like shooting zombies, they just don't like the survival aspect and trying to build themselves up.

These people should fuck off and play Left 4 Dead.

DayZ is meant to be a harsh, gritty survival shooter - not a hand-holding, start out kitted game like everything else, that's just what makes DayZ unique and frankly fucking awesome.

• Like 1

There's lot's of modded servers because many of us have been playing for a long time and the mod has fairly limited content so anything that keeps it fresh is good (within reason). Sure, some people want to play on servers with 500 cars, 30 heli's and military loot all over the place but the SA isn't aimed at players like that, neither was the mod originally. If that's what those players want then their going to be dissapointed with the SA, it's not a game designed by comittee to please the masses.

• Like 1

I realize that this is a suggestion, but I think it is relevant enough. In the standalone, why not create a selection system at the main menu when you start the game? For instance, you could open the game, and have 2 different server selections. One tab (or whatever it becomes) could be for vanilla DayZ servers, while the other could be for modded servers. Just a thought.

I just recently started going back to public hive servers, and I'll tell you it is a rough transition. Its a good one in my opinion, people can't hide their bandit mask by hopping to another private server. Also it is much much much more harder to find loot. I was proud of my CZ550, but I lost that to a script kiddy tping around the map. Thats one issue with the public servers in the mod.

I hope the standalone doesn't allow for anything except maps.

Found this on the reddit interview in 2012 I believe.

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/DayZ_Standalone/RedditAMA

Q: Will DayZ standalone allow mods?

A: Not initially.

Edited by Waldo The Doctor

I realize that this is a suggestion, but I think it is relevant enough. In the standalone, why not create a selection system at the main menu when you start the game? For instance, you could open the game, and have 2 different server selections. One tab (or whatever it becomes) could be for vanilla DayZ servers, while the other could be for modded servers. Just a thought.

well not a suggestion, I intended it to be a question about whether or not Rocket has confirmed or denied this, but I guess I didn't really ask the question in a right way.