colekern

(SA) Use HINTS and LOADING SCREENS (yes, loading screens) in place of a tutorial (HAS PICTURES!!)

There was a lot of talk about DayZ standalone having some sort of tutorials that would teach new players how avoid zombies, or how to use weapons and vehicles, or move around. Most everyone was against it, and I am too. But I do think that this leaves a problem . How the heck do they learn the controls?

Most people would just say, "why don't they just look at the options screen?". My thoughts are this: In every other modern game, this is not necessary. An argument could be made that DayZ is not like every other game (it isn't) and this would affecT the experience, but IT doesn't do that. Everything is still there: the authenticity the intensity, the oh-my-gosh-what-heck-am-I-doing. it's all still there. However, there will be no cheap deaths because you didn't know how to roll or jump.

This would just make it so that you won't constantly have to check the options menu as a new player to figure out how to move or aim down the sights because you forgot how to do that. It would just simply help you have a more fun, more streamlined, and less frustrating experience in DayZ.

There are two things that I think should be implemented:

1. "Educational" loading screens.

The first is that we show the basic controls on the loading screen the first few times you start DayZ. No More Room in Hell, an awesome Half-Life 2 mod that you should all download right now, illustrates this perfectly:

qhm2GFm.jpg

So, if we applied this to DayZ, we would have something like this:

OjMq0Iq.jpg

Oooookaaaay.... that was little more cluttered than I had planned. Notice that I streamlined the controls a bit since the SA is doing this. A better layout would be needed to avoid the clutter, but the concept is there. It just needs to be done by someone with actual photoshopping skills. That took me two hours. It's quite sad.

Note: this would have the ability to be disabled via the options menu.

2. A hint system.

The second thing I suggest we do is add in a hint system similar to Left 4 Dead. The hint system would show the just the controls and nothing more. hints would be activated depending on the players actions. For example, if he finds an item, it would tell him how to interact with it. If he's near a town, it would tell him how to change stances so he could sneak.If he opens his map, it would tell him how to place a marker.

Hints would only appear one or two times, or if the player disables them. Hint's would only show controls. Nothing more (I can't stress this enough). Not how to navigate a town, or avoid zombies, or how to sneak.

Here's an example screenshot to show you what I mean:

VVKsPmL.jpg

You're probably wondering why I want this stuff implemented. The main reason is to make a new player's experience less frustrating, confusing, and clunky because of controls. I want to make it easy to get into the game quickly without ever having to look at the options menu for the controls, while still keeping you in the dark about how to avoid threats, or repair vehicles, or use the craft items.

My second reason is that one of DayZ's major criticisms as a mod right now is that it's very hard to play as newbie, not because of the zombies, or the players, or the hunger and thirst, but because new players don't really know how to control their characters and the inventory system. Even players that do look at Arma 2's controls have a tough time with the game because there are certain features in DayZ that aren't covered by Arma's control menu or are just really obscure.

So tell me what you think below! If you don't think it should be implemented, give me an explanation, don't just say something dumb and obscure like, "I just don't like it", or "yure a frackin retad yu hae know idia whut day z is abot".

Edited by colekern
  • Like 11

Uhm...... I don't like it. It looks hideous. Unless there is a way to disable it, don't even add it. Every game I play, I go into the options to learn the controls, then practice with them.

Planet side 2 for example has video tutorials that are entertaining and reach you some tips and tricks.

I want beautiful loading screens over a keyboard and mouse infested page.

I like your ideas and unlike above, I know that your screen concepts are not going to actually be used :) a simple tutorial on/off toggle in the options menu should satisfy everyone

I think the devs need to post a basic tutorial/keybind sheet on the main page for noobs.

I made this a long time ago for people to print and refer to while playing.

post-53009-0-64768600-1342815157_thumb.j

Edited by taco241
  • Like 6

Whats wrong with learning the hard way - Thats the problem with games nowadays, everything is on plate for you and extremely easy.

Dayz is supposed to be a realistic survival game. In real life you dont have things popping up in front of you explaining how to use something, you have to learn through trial and error.

If i play a new PC game which i have not played before, I will look up the keys in the options and then learn them through trial and error until i become more experience within the game.

Tutorials are not needed - Waste of time.

• Like 1

There is already a loading screen and I don't think 'hints' are very DayZ. :/

Whats wrong with learning the hard way - Thats the problem with games nowadays, everything is on plate for you and extremely easy.

Dayz is supposed to be a realistic survival game. In real life you dont have things popping up in front of you explaining how to use something, you have to learn through trial and error.

If i play a new PC game which i have not played before, I will look up the keys in the options and then learn them through trial and error until i become more experience within the game.

Tutorials are not needed - Waste of time.

In real life, you also don't have to learn how to walk by the time you're a full grown adult. You would have the ability to disable these hints, too.

And you have to remember that the only thing this would be there for is removing the frustration of learning new, advanced controls. Think about it: there's no actual reason learning controls should be hard. It's not a gameplay mechanic, it doesn't make the game for fun, it's just something that you have to do. Removing the need for trial and error is a good thing.

Uhm...... I don't like it. It looks hideous. Unless there is a way to disable it, don't even add it. Every game I play, I go into the options to learn the controls, then practice with them.

Planet side 2 for example has video tutorials that are entertaining and reach you some tips and tricks.

I want beautiful loading screens over a keyboard and mouse infested page.

Of course you could disable them! I am, personally, a big fan of custom pretty loading screens, so they owuld need to be able to be disabled. Also, did you read the post? They only show the first few times you start up DayZ

I don't mind hints on loading pages. I think it'd be helpful for new players.

Remember, we were all noobs once.

I love the idea I have to agree that having hints about the controls has absolutely no impact on gameplay because let's face it no matter how "realistic" this can be its still a game and in real life I wouldn't be confused on how to put a can of beans in my backpack (which took me about 3 weeks to figure out in dayz) so a simple on screen hint is a good idea. Beans for you op

Maybe an optional "first time encounter" tutorial pop-up would help n00bs, but the controls are not going to be easily understood by a complete novice, even if you do provide a diagram in the loading screen.

If I was brand new to the game, the loading screen idea would put me off entirely.

There are a LOT of functions in ArmA, and though DayZ will be streamlined from this, I'd bet it's still going to be pretty complicated.

Besides that, I'd rather have nice-looking loading screens to show off the art and scenery.

For PC games, I always recommend custom mapping of controls where possible. To get yourself comfortable.

I understand the sentiment, and we were all n00bs at some point, but making the game easier for newcomers than it was for everyone else?

Thumbs down.

The disorientation of not knowing what to do is part of the DayZ experience.

Players find help in-game or figure stuff out for themselves.

I understand the sentiment, and we were all n00bs at some point, but making the game easier for newcomers than it was for everyone else?

Why wouldn't we make it easier for newcomers to learn to control their characters?

Having to learn ridiculously complicated controls all on your own just to play the actual game is unnecessary. If we can remove this frustration without taking the challenge away from the actual game itself, it would make the game more fun for new players. So why wouldn't we?

IMO It's totally unnecessary.

It takes seconds to look the controls up for yourself.

It would just clutter the loading screens with diagrams which serve no purpose to seasoned players. (who will be in the VAST majority)

IMO It's totally unnecessary.

It takes seconds to look the controls up for yourself.

It would just clutter the loading screens with diagrams which serve no purpose to seasoned players. (who will be in the VAST majority)

You're the second guy to not read the post.

They only appear the first few times you start the game.

Edited by colekern

I love the idea I have to agree that having hints about the controls has absolutely no impact on gameplay because let's face it no matter how "realistic" this can be its still a game and in real life I wouldn't be confused on how to put a can of beans in my backpack (which took me about 3 weeks to figure out in dayz) so a simple on screen hint is a good idea. Beans for you op

If it took you 3 weeks to work out how to put the beans in your bag I really don't think that the controls are the problem.

No way man, thats the best parts of starting DayZ is knowing NOTHINg

No way man, thats the best parts of starting DayZ is knowing NOTHINg

For everyone I know, not knowing how to control your character was not the fun part.

You're the second guy to not read the post.

They only appear the first few times you start the game.

The first few times the VAST MAJORITY of players start the game, they will already be VERY familiar with DayZ.

Any absolutely brand new players will struggle to understand the diagrams you suggest, rendering their inclusion pointless.

It takes SECONDS to look up the controls, and that's the first thing you should be doing anyway, for ANY game.

Don't start complaining just because I disagree with your suggestion.

EDIT:

Maybe if you got to the point folk would be less inclined to skim over your OP.

Edited by Chabowski

I used the Arma Boot Camp to configure my graphic settings and inadvertently learned the keys. So I can't say it would be a bad idea for noobs to have some type of small area to do the same.

Why not throw noobs in on a small island map and give them a crash course in DayZ? Purely the basics, like how to get eaten by zombies, how to find whatever respawn button the SA will have, and how to take off all your clothes. It'll also give them a little place to configure their settings. I don't think it'll hurt the game overall if there's not much content at all on Fresh Meat Island.

Are the keys really the most challenging thing to the game? Not really. It's not like this would rob them of any major experiences. Anything more than the basics would spoil a lot of the early fun.

This would just make it so that you won't constantly have to check the options menu as a new player to figure out how to move or aim down the sights because you forgot how to do that.

Man, if they're having these types of issues then maybe they shouldn't be near a computer at all. :D

• Like 1

No offence but if you don't know that WASD are the movement controls, RMB is aim down sights and LMB is fire in 90% of PC games then you're gonna have a bad time in DayZ anyway, lol.

Edited by mZLY

The first few times the VAST MAJORITY of players start the game, they will already be VERY familiar with DayZ.

Any absolutely brand new players will struggle to understand the diagrams you suggest, rendering their inclusion pointless.

It takes SECONDS to look up the controls, and that's the first thing you should be doing anyway, for ANY game.

Don't start complaining just because I disagree with your suggestion.

EDIT:

Maybe if you got to the point folk would be less inclined to skim over your OP.

How exactly am I complaining?

A simple fix is to give the player the ability to disable it. Simple.

I just honestly don't see why we wouldn't do this.

No offence but if you don't know that WASD are the movement controls, RMB is aim down sights and LMB is fire in 90% of PC games then you're gonna have a bad time in DayZ anyway, lol.

It's more designed for complete PC game noobs, which are players DayZ tends to attract.

DayZ isn't your typical hand-holding game. :)

It's designed to be brutal from the get-go.

Edited by mZLY

Because DayZ isn't your typical hand-holding game. :)

It's designed to be brutal from the get-go.

Learning the over-complicated controls should never be the brutal part of a game. Getting killed because you can't figure out how to vault or use voice chat isn't brutal; it's cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. DayZ has always been a brutal game, but the over-complicated controls shouldn't make it brutal.

Edited by colekern

It doesn't matter whether or not it's a toggle-option in the menu.

The simple fact is, proper n00bs won't be able to understand the diagram. There's a LOT to take in. They'd end up (guess what, that's right) going to the control options to check which buttons perform which actions.