Sign in to follow this  
embrace

Does Dayz use up a lot of Internet?

As said in the title really. I assumed it would use up a bit... But I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and play for like 2 hours a day maybe but my dad has just got a letter from our providers saying that we have used up all of our usage by the 14th march?

How much does it use up?

i ran my dayz for 2 days straight and i could just see my internets flying out my window... bad times

• Like 3

I don't know how much it uses exactly. Depends on how busy the servers you're on I guess. Online gaming does create more traffic than usual, the only thing worse is constantly downloading stuff I guess.

You could install a program that measures the bandwidth and usage while you're running just DayZ. That should give you a pretty good estimate of per hour-usage. I would recommend trying to find another ISP without imposed limits (if possible) as they suck.

As said in the title really. I assumed it would use up a bit... But I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and play for like 2 hours a day maybe but my dad has just got a letter from our providers saying that we have used up all of our usage by the 14th march?

How much does it use up?

It uses up as much bandwith as is required to send packets between the client (your pc) and the server (the machine hosting the dayz instance you connected to).

Please see the following link for an explanation of methods you can use to determine your bandwith usage: http://www.howtogeek...andwidth-usage/

If this helps, then please click "You have my beans!" in the bottom right...

Edited by walten34
  • Like 3

If this helps, then please click "You have my beans!" in the bottom right...

I gave you mine, I hope they're OK ;) I was busy sending him a PM about Freemeter which is pretty easy to use and after that I saw your post :D

Wait you have a internet provider that limits you on DATA use?

Uhh

im really hoping your mixing up with possibly a phones internet usage.

Uhh

Yes, I was thinking the same (i sure dont get charged for playing bf3 through my broadband) Please confirm!

He might be using one of those Hotspot routers provided through a cell phone provider. I have relatives that use one of those to limit their kids internet usage. they work basically like a cell phone plan with a certain amount of Gigabytes allowed per month based on what you pay.

I personally would go insane if i had to watch my data usage on any device... feel bad for the OP...

Uhh

There are several ISPs and internet-plans that are limited to a specific amount of data per month. (Not just for phones)

They are usually cheap connections. Either in terms of price or just generally pretty slow.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 2

If you're in Canada, and using the big providers, there are definite data caps.

Example:you get about 20gigs/month for $40, up to 500GB/month for $225.

Anyway, I did notice more warnings that I'm approaching my limit since playing DayZ, which I've never had while playing other games

Edited by taco241

Hi all,

Thanks for All of your replies! I'm not sure for definate what plan we are on. I know it is with BT (in the UK) and the letter was definately stating it was our broadband allowance. I will try to find out more details tomorrow!

Thanks again!

I have BT Infinity broadband and there are basically three options with BT:

1. 10GB monthly usage (vanilla Broadband)

2. BT "Infinity" (which is capped to 40GB a month, which is what I have)

3. BT Unlimited (pretty much self explanatory)

If you only use your internet for browsing and gaming and hardly and downloads - 40GB should be enough for DayZ (say five hours a day = 35 hpw)

I have never been notified or charged extra for monthly usage with my current set up.

DayZ does use a lot of bandwidth, unfortunately. My friend's got a limit and he pretty much refuses to play. :C

DayZ does use a lot of bandwidth, unfortunately. My friend's got a limit and he pretty much refuses to play. :C

n00b calculations based on googling:

1024mb = 1 GB.

I read that DayZ can use between 30 - 100 mb per hour realistically.

Based on 100mb per hour you are looking at the following:

1024 * 40 = 40960mb

40960 / 100m = 409. 409 hours worth of DayZ gaming per month (13hours per day based on 30 days and a 40GB DATA PLAN), based on my super duper mathematical proof.

Of course you need to take into account the fact that Arma CO and Dayz themselves are a good few Gigs of data themselves.

Hope this helps = Goose

Edited by NautilusGoose

I think my friend said he was using around 300kb/s by playing DayZ while we were in a Steam voice call, I'll see if he remembers the numbers next time I speak to him though.

Edited by mZLY

Yes it does use alot of Bandwidth but look how long a session of DayZ lasts to say Battlefield 3, i might end up playing about and hour before the game ends then i will find something else to do, then i've seen me having a session on DayZ where 14 hours just passes by..

Battlefield and DayZ pretty much have the same send/receive ratio as each other, i genuinely thinks it's all down to how long you play.

Conclusion: UPGRADEZ TO BT UNLIMITED ;)

£25 set up fee, WTF?

Come live in Canada, then ask me again.

Restricted or low data usage is mainly used for simply web browsing and the odd YouTube video stream here and there. Online gaming and low bandiwdth/data packages don't and shouldn't go together.

I don't know what it's like in the States, but in the UK a lot of internet plans have limits. E.g. Plusnet, who have a slow 10gb plan, a fast 40gb plan, a slow unlimited plan, and a fast unlimited plan:

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

BT, the national telecom provider, has a similar model. As far as I can tell Plusnet's slow unlimited plan is the cheapest unlimited data plan, and it's £9.99 in some areas. The 100mb/h quoted above seems about right although I assume it depends on how much player interaction is going on around you.

Of course this doesn't account for bandwidth throttling - not just at peak times, but a couple of years ago a Canadian ISP got in hot water for throttling World of Warcraft:

http://www.geekosystem.com/rogers-throttles-wow/

I've always assumed games were relatively light in terms of network traffic, though. Not like streaming video for example.

whenever im on dayz, my brother cant play ghost recon on playstation 3 at the same time. and if he is on dayz, my skype will cut out video calls all the time

only have standard broadband with unlimited download/upload usage, but its a cheap enough UK package, will definatly need an upgrade if we are to ever play dayz at the same time

Bohemia Interactive, your game is stealing everyone's Internets and they can't watch my cat videos. :(

I have 3 you tube fanatics, a netflix junkie, and me a dedicated gamer and i rarely go past 80GB/month on a service that offers unlimited download for 10$ extra on the plan.

You have to remember ISPs have data plans for people who just use the web to send email and check weather. 10GB a month is fine for granny checking recipes, but it wont get you far as a gamer.