LaurenDanger

Three bullets in the chest, the tale of today.

We won't worry about servers or maps or names, I'll just tell a little story and maybe you can help me understand why people play as they play.

It was an interesting afternoon on a low population server. I was listening to people talk on side chat, and there weren't enough players to complain about it and it was nice to hear about people working together. Find engine parts, repair a car, drive to a new spot. It seemed like there might be good people out there. Meanwhile, some distance away, I was learning to fly an Osprey because I found one and let's face it, curiosity means trial. It's a game, and death is nothing serious. There's some keyboard dexterity involved in flying in ARMA games so I was eager to see if I could do it.

It was tricky. I persevered Once I managed to figure out how to get some altitude, it was a pleasant flight, and I zipped along, listening to three people make a few pop culture jokes on the side chat. After some trouble with lower altitude work, I decided to land at an airfield. It seemed to be the destination of the chatting people who were fixing the car earlier. Perhaps they might need a lift in the Osprey. Perhaps I could trade it for the car they had. They seemed nice.

As a pro tip, if you click the autopilot landing option on your MV22 Osprey, it doesn't hover any more, instead moving to land on a runway with engines not pointing straight up, which can impact the nature of hovering. Meaning the bird moves forward with a bit of momentum and that already steady descent I managed with the auto-hover on became a death dive into the ground. Or so I thought. Despite the flaming wreckage that had skidded off the side of the runway, I was alive. Shaking, battered, not bleeding though, and my legs were not broken. I emerged and quickly put some distance between my less than healthy self and the flaming wreck that cast a beacon of smoke well into the sky.

A few zombies drew near, a few rounds of 9mm stopped their erratic advance upon me. I looked back to the smoke and listened to the repeated fireworks of exploding Osprey parts. I knew that the other survivors might head this way and this was certainly a sign that someone else might be around. Yet they were newly teamed up, strangers becoming friends, working together, and if I came across them I would certainly have a nice chat and I would offer my own help to them if possible.

I crouched and weaved about, heading for the fire house. I would have a good lookout point for them, and maybe I could find some suitable supplies. All seemed quiet as I ascended the stairs. Only the echoes of my steps called to me. To the top I went, finding a morphine injector, a third for me, so perhaps I could use it as a peace token with those approaching. A soda, a magazine of STANAG rounds, some flares that could be ignored in the bright light of day. All seemed well.

I headed back down and decided to wait outside so they would see me and I would see and hear them. I could flag them over and see if either survivor needed one of the blood bags I had in my backpack. Yet as I reached the ground level and turned to enter the garage area, two survivors appeared, one quickly backtracking while the other stopped to look at me, and I at him. They seemed to have made it here faster than I thought. But no matter, I would back up a bit and say hello, wondering if the lady they heard speaking from behind the manly soldier character would bring a chuckle as much as confusion. I never did like joining a server where the gender choice was turned off, but it had allowed me to wear the camo outfit for this life on a private hive where I hoped the hackers wouldn't follow.

Perhaps it was that hint of voice, or the camo clothing, or the M14 that flashed across his vision as I tried to turn to the side and back up that caused his reaction. I barely had time to say anything more before he fired, the pistol calling out three times as bullets hit me in the chest. I shot once into the wall and backed up, hoping the risk of pistol versus rifle would get him to move out the small green door, and he did, but peeked in and tried to take aim once more.

I hit the caps lock, began explaining that I wasn't a threat, that there was no need to shoot. There were more shots outside, perhaps those shambling bags of bloated infection decided on a plan for lunch with these fellows. I remained calm, asked why they fired, ask them to speak. There was silence. Again and again I asked, and still there was nothing. I was upset now. I was cornered. Were they trying to get on the roof and cover it in case I tried to flee up the tower? Would they cover the ground exits and wait for me to appear? They said nothing still, with only another pistol shot in response to a zombie's shriek to let me know they were still around.

I bandaged up. I wasn't hurt all that bad and had only lost a small amount of blood. Combat had cooled down but the moment remained tense. I was still there, in the fire hall, waiting for a reply to my question about why they shot, and if they would even answer me.

There was no response. Frustrated, I did something that I don't really do in DayZ when players are around and there's been some shots fired or even a confused standoff.

I hit escape, I aborted, and I logged off the server.

When I think about the people I do help, how I sometimes give out guns, how I leave a repaired car or even give someone a ride in a Huey and then leave them to have it in the hopes they'll help others, well, it makes me wonder why I do it. If people just see me, geared up after a good deal of effort and just decide I am a threat and open fire, then why do I even try? Should I treat all of them the same way?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm suited for video games at all. I lack this online killer instinct, I guess. None of my friends play games online.

I see this as a game, as code, as an escape but not something to be upset over. Is it wrong? Should I have throw smoke, tried to fight back, persisted?

And are Makarovs really that weak?

The mind boggles.

• Like 16

Nice story, was interesting to read, a lot of people "combat log" so I wouldn't worry about it. As for the Makarov I would say I feel safer with a hatchet. :)

I would rate this story 5/5 *

Edited by INickeragua
  • Like 1

When I think about the people I do help, how I sometimes give out guns, how I leave a repaired car or even give someone a ride in a Huey and then leave them to have it in the hopes they'll help others, well, it makes me wonder why I do it. If people just see me, geared up after a good deal of effort and just decide I am a threat and open fire, then why do I even try? Should I treat all of them the same way?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm suited for video games at all. I lack this online killer instinct, I guess. None of my friends play games online.

I see this as a game, as code, as an escape but not something to be upset over. Is it wrong? Should I have throw smoke, tried to fight back, persisted?

If you're not going to be a bandit, you atleast need to know how to defend yourself. That way if you get serious (Not too serious, mind you), you won't be a sitting duck. You're not doing it wrong, you're just doing it different. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Most people do eventually start to KoS after having been backstabbed for the first time.

Anyway, how you react next time is up to you. My faith in humanity has been restored, so thank you for that. Nice read too. :P

• Like 1

I've come to the opinion that shit being at its worst is when the game is at its best. Sometimes an impossible situation works out, and when it does that's a priceless feeling of gratification. A glorious death is worth as much as an entire life when it comes to a story. It's a bushidoish, vikingy life this survivor business.

I don't know you, but games like this need people like you. You do fill a rare but critical role in the ecosystem. Not many people have a code that extends beyond their own self-interest, online or not.

I don't know about those guys, but if I had a pistol and was looking at an M14 and no hero skin I might have shot myself, and generally I don't KOS at all. It would probably hinge on what had unfolded previous in my gaming session. If those guys had drawn any fire at all within the last 30 minutes it could have been a case of mistaken identity.

• Like 2

Ace story! :beans:

I feel the same as you when simple-questions go unanswered. They were even too scared to say they were out to get-you. :emptycan:

(could've been just the one..but people do team for a reason..2-on-1 would be one of them)

edit-

INickeragua. Best signiture ever!

Edited by Blunt_Zephyr
  • Like 1

If you're not going to be a bandit, you atleast need to know how to defend yourself. That way if you get serious (Not too serious, mind you), you won't be a sitting duck. You're not doing it wrong, you're just doing it different. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Most people do eventually start to KoS after having been backstabbed for the first time.

Anyway, how you react next time is up to you. My faith in humanity has been restored, so thank you for that. Nice read too. :P

I won't change my play style. I just have to play as myself I suppose. Rocket wanted this to be the anti-game, the reality simulator, so I just play as I would if it were something real, but without the child-like reaction of death. I'm the shield maiden who tried to save the world.

The first time I was backstabbed was almost ten months ago, which says something. I ran out of ammunition, mentioned as much to the survivor I had teamed up with, so he shot me in the head. Fun, huh? I hope I don't become the KoS type, ever.

• Like 1

I don't know you, but games like this need people like you. You do fill a rare but critical role in the ecosystem. Not many people have a code that extends beyond their own self-interest, online or not.

Thank you! Comments like that keep people like me trying to play games like this. Interesting that you use ecosystem. Maybe it is just binary and code somewhere, but in an unusual way, it is a living thing, this type of online multiplayer game, especially when it's not quest based, but survival based. I'll try to fill the role for as long as I can.

Sounds like me, if I see a survivor I try to meet him first... But. Some people are not the nicest. ;)

• Like 1

Nice story. I like your playstyle (I play the same) but sometimes you have simply to ... give up to the simple fact certain players are simply too dumb, too KoS oriented or even too scared to use their neurons to produce more complex actions than hitting W or LBM.

Three days ago I had just discovered a new vanilla private server so I started yet another avatar. I spawned near Cherno, late evening and rain, so I decided to skip the city as with +25 people playing such poor visibility may make people more trigger-happy than usual.

So I moved E of Cherno to visit a suitable barn and other buildings to get food, an hatchet and then cross around Vysota and follow the power-lines up to Zeleno. Easy does it.

In the barn I found the hatchet and happy as a bunny I started to explore the various floors, when I spotted another player hiding on the top floor.

I typed "friendly" over and over on the chat, I said the same with the mic, I killed a Z climbing to his side to show him I could help, I told him "Look there, there is another hatchet, take it so you can defend yourself." All pointless. This guy did not react in any way and when I tried to get close, he backed away.

Sometimes there is no way to interact. I left and typed "good-bye and good luck".

_Anubis_

• Like 1

I typed "friendly" over and over on the chat, I said the same with the mic, I killed a Z climbing to his side to show him I could help, I told him "Look there, there is another hatchet, take it so you can defend yourself." All pointless. This guy did not react in any way and when I tried to get close, he backed away.

Sometimes there is no way to interact. I left and typed "good-bye and good luck".

_Anubis_

I suspect that there might be a percentage of video game players out there that become overly attached to the games they play. It might be a smaller percentage, sure, but it intrigues me as to why they wouldn't respond, or do something when they see and hear that someone is not hostile.

Keep playing the way you do, and good luck to you as well.may your kindness never get your virtual self killed.

Dont let it get to you, today i've been killed three times, one was a sniper when i had nothing.

The other was a guy who i was behind, tried to be friendly but no response so i left the ghillie guy alone as im not a killer, 3 mins later he kills me with his pistol (i just did a little dance and insulted his bad aim as he did so) the third said he was friendly then killed me as i checked the map, all these people got low level loot and if they had worked with me gained a chopper and a truck full of repair parts.

But people dont think ahead they see what's infront of them and they want it, nor do they really go for the "player interaction" anymore it's more about the gear which is kinda sad :/

Edit: first back stabbed 10 months ago? so your one of the old players from back when there was only 10 servers right?

Edited by SoulShaper2

although i do bandit quite often, in that situation i would have lowered my gun.

• Like 1

Awesome story bro. Its nice to see peeps who are more interested in helping a fellow survivor then rather than just being KOS. I try to play this same way, never fired at anyone until they have fired at me. You have my beans dude.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting. You are a good writer, I'm jealous. :P

I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting. You are a good writer, I'm jealous. :P

Thank you, and no need to be jealous, being a writer is a skill anyone can acquire with practice and time. But loving the written word is whe it all begins, I suppose. :)

Awesome story bro. Its nice to see peeps who are more interested in helping a fellow survivor then rather than just being KOS. I try to play this same way, never fired at anyone until they have fired at me. You have my beans dude.

Well I don't know about the bro and dude part, but the rest makes me smile. Thank you for your awesome assessment of the story.

I can tell you exactly what happend

They were not random people meeting up, in all the time I've played dayz I have fallen for that trick twice where a bandit group pretends to be people randomly meeting up to lure in other players to their group to kill them

They probably figured you had good stuff, I would have waited though as they always get board and will try and get you in the end by entering the building

I can tell you exactly what happend

They were not random people meeting up, in all the time I've played dayz I have fallen for that trick twice where a bandit group pretends to be people randomly meeting up to lure in other players to their group to kill them

They probably figured you had good stuff, I would have waited though as they always get board and will try and get you in the end by entering the building

Well, apart from the crashed Osprey I am not sure they even knew I was there, but then, that might be why they fired at me to start with. But yes, a very good point, I have seen side channel conversations where people teased someone who had been lured in. Yet I've taken the chances when asked for help and I am about 50/50 on the outcome of friend versus trap, and surprisingly good at escaping vehicle wrecks even when someone's fired at me. I still miss that bus. But no matter. I've managed to scrounge my way from the shore enough times to make the threat of death pointless.

They could have asked me to surrender, tried to bluff, said something. Still so strange. We're at an airfield, plenty of good gear for everyone, no need for shoot outs.

Sorry for using 2 gender specific terms in a non gender specific way. Living in a college town that still clings to a dude/bro mentality has forever ruined my vocabulary. Still an awesome story though

Don't trust strangers lol.

yesterday i hid my humvee and went to loot as i was a fresh spawn (dude went driving passed and got kicked i figured after waiting 2 mins he wasnt gonna be rejoining) so i took it and went to zel with a dinner bell.

when i weas looting the store i see someone run to where the humvee is and i sprint down and round the corner to cut him off ready for a fight, i hide in a warehouse and he hears. He comes to investigate, see's me (he has better gear then me and could have KoS to protect it) but stated friendly, i dont KoS so i said it to expecting to be backstabbed, we talk and i figure he's gonna kill me for my car and it not being worth it (having almost no gear) i tell him i'll leave him to guard the car while i go loot zel, expecting him to take it and run. On return i find he has blocked it in with tank traps to stop anyone driving it and is hiding in the warehouse waiting for his friend as well.

Long story short i made two good friends and we drove round for a chopper, helped re-arm his base and the SvD camo, got attacked by bandits, escaped, picked up the dead player once he repsawned and had a great day ^.^

Moral of the story?

Welcome strangers with your back to the wall.

• Like 1

Good story and no matter how you look upon it, you played the game well and you represent all "good guy/girl gamers" everywhere here.

I've been in the same situation as you countless times, though usually with less story behind it. It's most commonly just something simple or silly behind it, but still something that the other person deems important enough to kill another player. Anyway, because of that I've had exactly the same thoughts as you have right now. "Should I treat them the same way?" The answer I typically come up with is; No. While I am vary and careful around any and all bandits or camo/ghillie wearing players, I do try to not open fire first. I always think that often there's alot of effort and time behind a character and cannot bring myself to just take potshots at unsuspecting players, and if I had done that to a Survivor/Hero skinned character I'd feel bloody awful. So because of this, I choose to be a solution rather than part of the problem, I choose to be a "Nice guy" 99% of the time. If I can help them, I do it. But only if I decide to approach them myself. And if we seem to be going for the same thing, I usually let them get it as I'll have plenty of time to get whatever I'm after later. I just reason with the fact that it's a game.

I would say that while I don't lack the "Killer instinct" in video games, I do lack it in DayZ. I just don't get the same pleasure out of it as many players do. And ESPECIALLY not if done through trickery and fooling someone. I've been subject to that myself, but I always go in acknowledging the risk and accepting the fact that I might die if I do whatever they want me to. Usually it's because I've been held at gunpoint earlier anyway and have already bought myself some time and if I play my cards right I have a shot at survival.

As for fighting back.. I don't know if you could've done too much to three players circling around the building. You were in a pretty bad shape there and would likely have died. But I would likely just have made a straight (zigzag as hell) line towards the treeline and that's what I really think you should've done aswell. Use smoke to get out of tight spots if you have to. It's not the most effective of things, but it buys you a second or two of cover.

And yes, Makarovs are weak. Very, very weak.

• Like 1

Sorry for using 2 gender specific terms in a non gender specific way. Living in a college town that still clings to a dude/bro mentality has forever ruined my vocabulary. Still an awesome story though

well the dude part is fine, it's become a generic friendly bit of slang. But sis might be better. You know, bro? No offence taken, I was being silly, since, well, I don't get upset about the little things. May your vocabulary make slight recoveries, but still represent who you are and all you have been through.

yesterday i hid my humvee and went to loot as i was a fresh spawn (dude went driving passed and got kicked i figured after waiting 2 mins he wasnt gonna be rejoining) so i took it and went to zel with a dinner bell.

when i weas looting the store i see someone run to where the humvee is and i sprint down and round the corner to cut him off ready for a fight, i hide in a warehouse and he hears. He comes to investigate, see's me (he has better gear then me and could have KoS to protect it) but stated friendly, i dont KoS so i said it to expecting to be backstabbed, we talk and i figure he's gonna kill me for my car and it not being worth it (having almost no gear) i tell him i'll leave him to guard the car while i go loot zel, expecting him to take it and run. On return i find he has blocked it in with tank traps to stop anyone driving it and is hiding in the warehouse waiting for his friend as well.

Long story short i made two good friends and we drove round for a chopper, helped re-arm his base and the SvD camo, got attacked by bandits, escaped, picked up the dead player once he repsawned and had a great day ^.^

Moral of the story?

Welcome strangers with your back to the wall.

Heh, that's awesome. Normally I don't trust strangers but i give people a chance.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to rain on this little happy parade...

I get that you were trying to be nice and all - but when you tried to be friendly in chat and got three bullets as a reply, then that means you are now in a life or death situation and should have met fire with fire. This is DayZ, not a camping simulator. Kill or be killed is the rule of the game.

You should only trust your friends and be extremely wary of anyone you meet, even if you get a friendly response. Most alliances will be temporary.

And lastly - combat logging is bad, m'kay? I have zero respect for anyone that does even when it means they escape certain death. You should have taken them on and tried to escape at least - a hell for leather last-ditch run for safety would have made a much better story than "I went looking for someone to hold my hand while I play, but the bad boo-boo shot at me and I quit the game".

Just sayin......